New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking for a simple solution that will only be used to install a bike rack, as I'm not planning to tow things. don't need electric connections or any other fancy hookups. Peeking under the bumper, looks like there must be a simple bar with a tow hitch receiver that bolts in place of the current bar. Has anyone been able to find something simple that is reasonably priced?

The following users liked this post:
trixie2000 (04-05-2021)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaliy Kuznetsov
I'm looking for a simple solution that will only be used to install a bike rack, as I'm not planning to tow things. don't need electric connections or any other fancy hookups. Peeking under the bumper, looks like there must be a simple bar with a tow hitch receiver that bolts in place of the current bar. Has anyone been able to find something simple that is reasonably priced?
has anyone found a solution for a class 1 hitch (essentially a bolt-on) bike hitch?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Just did an online chat with stealthhitches, they are claiming by the end of the year. The Velar is already available.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Just did an online chat with stealthhitches, they are claiming by the end of the year. The Velar is already available.
Yes, I have been in contact with them since 01/18. If enough people contact them they'll certainly speed up the process. Here my original message:
Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
I'm still looking for an aftermarket trailer hitch, as the OEM is IMO way to bulky and uggly, especially with the full dynamic package. I contacted various companies and Steve from "stealth hitches" replied:

Still waiting on a local customer to bring one (a Land Rover Discovery 2017/18) in. If you are on the forums, please tell everyone that the first one in will get a free hitch.

Best regards.

Steve Nance
CEO

4580 Commerce Parkway
Sugar Hill, GA 30518
Phone: 678-714-3592
Cell: 770-815-6300

Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good system for the 2" square receiver that is modular? Definitely want/need ability to carry 4 pair of skis, 2 bikes, and one of those platform thingies for additional storage. Not all at the same time of course. Hence the modules.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hitch install

I wanted a hitch and went to great shop here in Houston where I go for such things. One of the aftermarket manufacturers listed a hitch which we ordered in and did not work(I think a Curt). Went to dealer and got LR hitch, which comes with install hardware and electrical harness which of course plugs right in. The nice folks at the shop bave me their price on the hitch which was just under $900. If you walk in and buy its $1100, plus they want to sell the replacement cover with cutout for $800.00, ridiculous. My installer used Dremel tool on original cover and it looks great. They charged me $250.00 for install including Dremel work. They said it was the heaviest duty hitch they had ever installed on an SUV, obviously rated for the 8000 lb rating of the Td6. Added ball and bar for about $40.00. So I was out the door for about $1150. The LR hitch is expensive but it is nice, and for the foreseeable future probably the way to go.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I thought that replacement cover was about $100 when I looked it up.
I guess I got a good deal - my dealer installed the hitch and wiring harness and replacement cover for me for free just to sell me a CPO 2017 that I wouldn't buy without it.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gritz45
I wanted a hitch and went to great shop here in Houston where I go for such things. One of the aftermarket manufacturers listed a hitch which we ordered in and did not work(I think a Curt). Went to dealer and got LR hitch, which comes with install hardware and electrical harness which of course plugs right in. The nice folks at the shop bave me their price on the hitch which was just under $900. If you walk in and buy its $1100, plus they want to sell the replacement cover with cutout for $800.00, ridiculous. My installer used Dremel tool on original cover and it looks great. They charged me $250.00 for install including Dremel work. They said it was the heaviest duty hitch they had ever installed on an SUV, obviously rated for the 8000 lb rating of the Td6. Added ball and bar for about $40.00. So I was out the door for about $1150. The LR hitch is expensive but it is nice, and for the foreseeable future probably the way to go.
Great info, thanks for sharing!
It sounds like the harness is plug and play and no programming is required. Can you please confirm? Do you happen to have the PN for the hitch? Have been wondering if VPLRT0174 is the part number?
Thanks

Old 10-18-2018, 08:39 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lights on the trailer work, I don't know about any trailer assist or backup assist, im sure that would have to be programmed. The part number is correct. It retails for $1100 and dealer cost was $877.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gritz45
The lights on the trailer work, I don't know about any trailer assist or backup assist, im sure that would have to be programmed. The part number is correct. It retails for $1100 and dealer cost was $877.
Thanks for confirming.
I only tow occasionally with a small trailer, only need the light anyway...

Quick Reply: Tow hitch