New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone found an aftermarket hitch for the D5 that is less clunky than the OEM? Stealth hitches still don't list it in their inventory..... Why can't we legally buy the "swan neck version" here in the US?!!!! https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-VPLRT0171

Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did this upgrade today on my 2017 disco TD6. I couldnt find a secondary source for a tow bar so went with the LR part. The local dealer gav me a goos discount and had it in a day. Total time installing as about 4 hours without using a manual. This wasn't my forst rodeo putting one on as I did my wife's 2019 VW Tiguan last year and had to do similar removal or bumper cove, etc. This is one serious piece of steel A total of 14 bolts all torqued to 110nM +120/240 degrees. Apparently torque to yield bolts have become more normal. Not a difficult, but rather tedious and fiddly. I didnt buy the factory valance, but rather used an air saw tocut my existing one.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 AM
Three Wheeling

FINALLY - I've been waiting for this a long time: click me - Stealth hitches
BTW: I've contacted them so they'll update their listing (Gen5, not Gen3)

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 01-21-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hitch Install

Originally Posted by sighting
New owner of a LR5 here.

Mine came without the tow kit so I spent some time looking up what I need and bought everything.
* To note here is that there are 3 kits - This is the only one listed as US specification.
* The other ones are the hidden version that clicks in on auto drops down - I love the standard look better

Everything should arrive this week and I plan on installing it this weekend and can post pics if people want.

Items Ordered:
Main Kit - VPLRT0174
Tow H Cover in my color - LR083034 (there are 3 different color options here LR082881, LR083033, LR083035, LR083034)
Towbar Hitch - VPLRT0177

Installation Instructions:
LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

Says it needs to be programmed so will see if SDD can do it when its all setup./
Thanks for the info. I have a new 2019 Disco 5 that I will be doing the same install on. Did the main kit VPLRT0174 come with wiring harness and bolts? Looking behind the current tow cover it appears to have two female plugs for the new receiver. This seems like a better option than splicing into the wiring to install the stealth aftermarket option. Lastly, did it require a dealer program for basic functions such as sway mitigation, activating trailer brake lights, etc.? Perhaps, the dealer flash is only if you’re wanting to setup trailer reverse assistance? Any insight would be great before I start the same project. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Today, I installed my hitch from Stealth hitches. Overall, the process was pretty straight forward and I'm super happy - the bracket is well built and sturdy and certainly more than sufficient for whatever I'll ever tow! Removing the receiver per se is a matter of seconds and once gone, one can't tell there's a hitch - no huge and ugly cutout of the rear bumper for an overkill OEM hitch...

Original bracket

Stealth hitch

Only minor cutting of the fascia is required - took a couple of minutes with a Dremel . The hitch is completely invisible without the receiver.

Close-up. This receiver is for bike rack, ..... For towing, you get a similar no wobble attach-on with a hitch ball.

With receiver installed

Solid construction.

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 04-20-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:02 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally! Another other after market options before I pull the trigger on this one? Saves me from getting a pick up! Lol

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
Today, I installed my hitch from Stealth hitches. Overall, the process was pretty straight forward and I'm super happy - the bracket is well built and sturdy and certainly more than sufficient for whatever I'll ever tow! Removing the receiver per se is a matter of seconds and once gone, one can't tell there's a hitch - no huge and ugly cutout of the rear bumper for an overkill OEM hitch...

Original bracket

Stealth hitch

Only minor cutting of the fascia is required - took a couple of minutes with a Dremel . The hitch is completely invisible without the receiver.

Close-up. This receiver is for bike rack, ..... For towing, you get a similar no wobble attach-on with a hitch ball.

With receiver installed

Solid construction.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R

Stealth hitch

Solid construction.
Originally Posted by samduhspam
finally! Another other after market options before I pull the trigger on this one? Saves me from getting a pick up! Lol
Has anyone done this install with detailed pictures of the wiring installation? That's the only part I'm a little concerned about. Stealth hitches instructions say that the brake and reverse wires are not used?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling

I like the look but not how close to the ground the hitch is. Im towi g 6k pounds pretty iften and i wouldnt feel comfortable with that being so low. As far as the wiring, when i installed the factory hitch, it came with a harness that plugs into the car harness and uses all wires includung reverse. You need the reverse light for surge brakes to deactivate while backing.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:44 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll be putting a dirt bike with a pretty heavy rack on the Stealth hitch. Any experience with weight on the rear suspension and the air?

Old 07-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I have been very happy with how little the truck squats with the air suspension. I will say i installed the factory bar myself and it is stout. But, when it is hooked to a heavy trailer the thing makes a ton of noises as it is connected directly to the frame. So dont think something is wrong when you hear noises. I think in my case it is the 2 inch receiver being a loose fit and the surge brake attachment.

Quick Reply: Tow hitch