Sponsored by:

Traction Reduced Message

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 02:16 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Reduced Message

Hi guys,

I had 2 rear tyres replaced yesterday and within about half a mile of driving I now get a “Traction Reduced” message on the dash. It seemed to reset itself last night when I went out and restarted it but the message came on again after about half a mile and stayed on for the rest of the journey home.

I can find very little info on this, one guy posted on another Disco5 Forum with exactly the same issue after rear tyre replacement but no one responded to his posting.

I’m assuming it is too much of a coincidence for it to occur immediately after the tyre change to be anything other than being related. I did read that fitting the incorrect size tyres can cause the error. Would the tyre place have had to switch something off on the dash before changing the tyres I know the one guy mentioned having to lock the suspension before working on it. Could it be something to do with the Launch Control settings?

Can anyone advise on this please? It’s a 2018 model HSE TD6, it is actually still under warranty so I will have to address it with the dealer if it’s not an easy fix. The tyre place is not open on Sundays so I can’t check with them to see whether they’ve done something but we go away tomorrow (towing a caravan) so am a bit concerned.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:53 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update!

I recall reading that the vehicle is capable of identifying whether an incorrect tyre size has been fitted which got me thinking.

We do a lot of caravan towing and the rear tyre pressures we normally set at 45psi, when the tyre place put the new tyres on they inflated them to 35psi. I have just increased them to 45psi and took the car for about a 5 mile drive and no Traction Reduced warning!

Whether the car sensed that with the reduced tyre pressure it had the wrong size tyres I don’t know, or it could have just got confused with the sudden change in 10psi pressure???

Anyway, fingers crossed all is well.

If it has solved the issue then the lesson learnt is that if you have a tyre changed on a Disco 5 to ensure it is inflated exactly to the tyre that it has just replaced.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

My 4 tires are all larger than the factory tire size with never an error message. Very many of the other members of this forum also run the larger size (which is about an inch or 3 percent larger in diameter and thus circumference than the factory size).
I suspect your error is caused by your first line of your question "I had 2 rear tyres replaced". They are probably a different diameter and circumference than the 2 front tires you didn't replace. Your D5 has very advanced traction control systems and different size tires makes it thinks it is slipping and it attempts to stop the slipping and after a while it knows something is wrong and gave you that error.
If your tire shop put the wrong size tire on your D5 they may have even put 2 different size tires on the left rear and right rear.

If you want to check, look at the size printed on all 4 tires. If they are all the same, maybe one or more are worn significantly more than the others.
You could put a chalk mark on each tire where it touches the ground and a mark on the ground, move forward or backward one exact full rotation and measure the distance travelled. Should all be the same.
I would not drive it like that - it will probably damage your vehicle.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 08-07-2023 at 09:48 PM.