Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch

Picked up our Discovery last week in San Antonio and ordered a trailer hitch for my bike rack. Seems no one has a hitch in the US and leaving for Colorado in a week. Anyone have a good experience with an after market hitch. I do not intend to tow anything. The only one I found that seems to look like the LR hitch is a Stealth hitch. It detaches from the hitch when not in use. Thanks

Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the same boat. I reached out to multiple dealers and it looks like the item is back-ordered with no ETA. I am also considering the stealth hitch model with the tow package. I am not comfortable doing the installation myself and I was given an estimate of $500 from two different local hitch shops for the installation only.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems very high. Looking at the bumper this morning with a shop this morning it looked like a bolt on application. It is a very tight installation. Maybe they were figuring on the wiring harness also. Check the stealth website. They have a map of installers.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 PM
4wd Low

I looked at the step by step document on the stealth hitch website. I feel somewhat confident attaching the hitch but a little skeptical getting the electrical harness right. If you look at this previous post -
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...h-88984/page5/ , BelGSX-R installed the hitch (not the tow package) and have shared some pictures.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:18 PM
4wd Low

Do you know the downsides of using an aftermarket hitch? The car did not initially come with the tow package, so even if I install the OEM Land Rover hitch, will I be able to make use of the tow assist features like sway control and braking? Right now, without any hitch installed, I don't even have that option on screen. I am planning to install a brake controller as well, do I need one if I use the OEM hitch receiver? What am I gonna loose using an aftermarket hitch at this point as compared to the Land Rover hitch? If I am not gonna get the tow assist features with either of the hitches, then I can very well go ahead and place an order for the stealth hitch rather than waiting for the OEM one to be available again. I have already placed a deposit on a nuCamp TAB 400 trailer and it is scheduled to be ready by mid-August. I also talked to a customer representative at stealth hitches and he said that even though the hitch is in stock, it will take 2 to 3 weeks for it to ship. I am really fighting against time now.