New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 05:35 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2

The 2004 Land Rover Discovery I own was sold to me by an dishonest person. Within weeks the car started to overheat, blow steam/smoke out of the engine, leak multiple fluids, and not run well. How much do you think it would be to fix all these problems?

The back of the car has lowered significantly? Any causes? There are these blue suspension bags that appear to be deflated??

Old 09-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

With the info given it's impossible to answer your how much question. The rear appears to have Air Suspension that has deflated. When the vehicle is running the air compressor will kick on and reinflate the system. It is not uncommon for them to sink when sitting for a time. Obviously with your description above I wouldn't recommend idling the truck to see if it comes up.

What's your coolant level look like and what fluids are leaking?

The following users liked this post:
Buddy101 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 06:20 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
With the info given it's impossible to answer your how much question. The rear appears to have Air Suspension that has deflated. When the vehicle is running the air compressor will kick on and reinflate the system. It is not uncommon for them to sink when sitting for a time. Obviously with your description above I wouldn't recommend idling the truck to see if it comes up.

What's your coolant level look like and what fluids are leaking?
My coolant disappears. The owner told me to top up with water when it goes down... The coolant hose not good either. Oil and a reddish liquid also leak

Old 09-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Stick a fork in it. You'll spend more $$ than you want on it and than it is worth, way more. Sell it and get a Honda or Toyota. Sorry. Hope you didn't pay much. How many miles??

Fyi, It is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery Series II, not a Series I.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Is it insured ? Shhhhhh - it was stolen or it caught fire

Old 09-21-2021, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy101
My coolant disappears. The owner told me to top up with water when it goes down... The coolant hose not good either. Oil and a reddish liquid also leak
So you knew it was loosing coolant, is it all coming out leaking or blown hoses?

Redish is either trans, power steering or ACE

Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by disco96sd
Is it insured ? Shhhhhh - it was stolen or it caught fire
Huh????? It had insurance but I stopped paying it because it won’t run… I don’t know what you mean by your comment. It was not helpful at all. But, thank you for the reply.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:58 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
So you knew it was loosing coolant, is it all coming out leaking or blown hoses?

Redish is either trans, power steering or ACE
There is at least one blown hose. The one leading to the coolant. It leaks several pieces under the vehicle as well. I believe it is leaking oil

Old 09-25-2021, 09:00 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by stillruns
Stick a fork in it. You'll spend more $$ than you want on it and than it is worth, way more. Sell it and get a Honda or Toyota. Sorry. Hope you didn't pay much. How many miles??

Fyi, It is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery Series II, not a Series I.
I paid a good price. Basically the prove of this car without an engine lol. Thank you for the correction. It has around 180,000 miles.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:12 PM
TReK
Received 492 Likes on 427 Posts

If you got it for the price of the car without an engine I don’t think the seller was dishonest. He told you about the coolant leak. If you want to keep your Disco it sounds like it needs a lot of work. As said above maybe you should sell it, again for the price of the car without an engine.

Quick Reply: 2