New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)
View Poll Results: Oh boy...
... have you made a mistake!
0%
... she's got good bones. She's a keeper!
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Greetings from South Africa!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 10:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Greetings from South Africa!

Hi all, a pleasure to meet you. I go by Tugela Trooper on this site.

I've had a (mostly) 1970 series 3 109 petrol Land Rover for over a year now and have been slowly tinkering away/ enjoying her.

I know, I know. She is registered as a 1970 but the majority of the car is actually a Series 3. Haven't checked all the numbers but I think the bulkhead is from the early 1970's. Let's just say she's a bit mixed up. Whose series isn't?

I bought her as one normally does. Bad time, didn't really have the money. No idea how to fix her up. I am changing that slowly. Am only in my mid 20s but I am currently working abroad for some bucks, some of which will go into the car. I really love her and even when all logical voices said "sell", I didn't.

I'm devastated that I have only driven her round my area a handful of times. Many of which ended up in a tow. I'm smoorkwaad at whatever bush mechanic put in a modified Rochester carb!! That's given some headaches. Not to mention whatever fool rewired her (not too badly) but left all the original cabling in just to confuse me with a bird's nest. The plan is to undo all that, get her as close to original as money (or lack of it) permits and then ride into the sunset.

I love to love her. I could spend a day dreaming of fixing her up to perfection. Shiny as though she just rolled off the factory floor at Solihull. I will never get to that point, I'm just not that kind of guy, but I do fully intend to get her to be a mostly reliable daily runner.

For now I have to sit across the sea and look at prices for various carb kits, body parts etc. I'm planning my great Land Rover revamp now as I write this and have already posted a thread on the forum here. Check it out and lend your wisdom.

In closing, here's a couple of pics of my second girlfriend (don't tell the other one I said that...). Great to be here. Looking forward to all the arguments about rivets, materials and LR purity.

Last known picture of girlfriend smiling after purchase. Had to roll the car back in after she didn't start. Photo cropped to avoid further embarrassment for girlfriend.

The smile of an idiot. Drove her back 70kms from where I bought her in the rain. No roof... I wondered if I had made a mistake when she had to be restarted after each speedhump.

Not too bad for an old Series III right?

Not one regret (I think). My faithful friend and I on a little weekend drive in the Landy. The look beams "ignorance is bliss".

Last edited by Tugela Trooper; 02-01-2023 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-02-2023, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 524 Likes on 454 Posts

That’s awesome! Very nice find. Welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Tugela Trooper (02-02-2023)