New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello From So Cal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello From So Cal!

Hey Everyone, I am a new 99 Discovery 2 owner!
Well, after my neighbor told me he sold his 99 Disco 2 to our mutual friend for $500, I was bummed because I needed a ranch vehicle to do various chores at my property. To my surprise, the car ended up back in my neighbors driveway the very next morning. Our mutual friend wanted his money back. No problem he was refunded, I asked my neighbor if it ran? Yes. A/c works? Yes. Ever left you stranded in the 4 years of ownership? Never. Will you take $200 for it? Yes! I jump started it, drove it around the city and on the freeway, got back and gave him the $200. I asked what was wrong with it?
His answer was:
1) Power steering doesn't work.
2) Dash board lights are on.
3) Wife said it is stuck in 1st gear. (It drove great when I drove it and shifted perfect. He said he never really drove it but thats what his wife said)
4) Battery is dead, could be a bad alternator. (He gave me a 1 Y/O marine battery he had laying around that works great)
5) Leaks a little oil.
6) I'm not really sure about any other problems as it's the wife car.
So, I borrow his car trailer, we load it up, and I tow it 1 1/2 hours to its new home, Aguanga CA. My 5 acre ranch. At first I was not going to register it and just use it on the ranch till it died. He gave me receipts for all work done during his ownership. $1700 on brake system and $1300 on cooling system.

But then, as I drove it more and more, went off road on it, drove it to town and back, I fell in love with this thing. I joined this forum to learn more about these machines and it seems as though everybody here has the same problems that my Disco 2 has. I called my insurance co, Got it smogged, and just registered it.
I knew nothing about these cars before owning it and now I think I'll always have one around. This one may stay around for a long time. It drives really good except the power steering but since I mainly drive it on dirt roads it doesn't bother me. I tried the Lucas P/S stop leak and it didn't work. I did get the P/S to work for a trip to town but the next morning it was leaked out on the gravel driveway. Oh well.
$200 for car, $220 to smog, $259 to register, and $30 on misc oils and stuff. $709 total for a great ranch vehicle that i hope lasts many years to come. Thanks everyone on this forum and also Youtube for all the informative info on these great vehicles.