New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Just bought my first Rover!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just bought my first Rover!

It's an 04 Disco SE7. Pretty pumped to have picked it up and joined the LR community. It's needs some work before it's perfect but odds are every time I finish something up I'll think of something else to do on it.

It has very slow oil seep from the valve cover gaskets and valley pan, it doesn't drip and the oil level hasn't noticeably dropped in 100sih miles but if I wipe the engine with a towel the oil seems fresh. Planning to go to a local shop with some mechanic friends to learn how to properly open one of these motors and swap gaskets, change out a whining idler pulley and do a majority of the service items in the 60K tune up thread. I'll also have to hunt down why the O2 Sensor has started throwing a code along with the left bank running lean.

Looking forward to long and fun relationship with my new Rover!

Attached Thumbnails Just bought my first Rover!-photo.jpg  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBearWillEat
It's an 04 Disco SE7. Pretty pumped to have picked it up and joined the LR community. It's needs some work before it's perfect but odds are every time I finish something up I'll think of something else to do on it.

It has very slow oil seep from the valve cover gaskets and valley pan, it doesn't drip and the oil level hasn't noticeably dropped in 100sih miles but if I wipe the engine with a towel the oil seems fresh. Planning to go to a local shop with some mechanic friends to learn how to properly open one of these motors and swap gaskets, change out a whining idler pulley and do a majority of the service items in the 60K tune up thread. I'll also have to hunt down why the O2 Sensor has started throwing a code along with the left bank running lean.

Looking forward to long and fun relationship with my new Rover!
Welcome aboard man! I've only had mine for a month and so far have: replaced the low tone horn, changed the oil twice, run seafoam through the crankcase and fuel system, and flushed/filled the cooling system/radiator. Still to do: change transmission fluid and filter, change transfer case fluid, bleed brakes, and change the plugs and wires. Then I'll be up to date. When you first purchase a used rover things can seem a bit overwhelming with things that need to be done, BUT IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH IT! These things are awesome 4x4s and will last a long time if properly maintained. I'm in middle tennessee and have already managed to get mine stuck once

Last edited by Take THAT, Jeep!; 06-14-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love the color and the wheels. Take off the running board though if your tall enough to get in.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey All! Im new here too! just picked up my "gas sipping" 03 Disco SE! 83k just working through the little issues! lol changed auxiliary belt(30 mins TOPS and that included looking up diagram) and oil, 2 coils and wires ( was deal I made with dealer ) ran my codes so looks like couple minor things for the most part related to O2 sensor or 2... but loving it! put in Mobil1 and old oil was dark so surely time to change... will tackle all other fluids this week!

Last edited by dparham; 10-15-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Hope the Bear Will Read - and others as well - the RAVE tech manual download, all factory manuals. Also find an 8mm 12 point socket (3/8 if "necked down") and snug up the valve cover gaskets, they come loose. Probably not gaskets.

RAVE download below. Also look in our tech section on th propshaft rebuild, if yours has zerks, grease at each oil change. If not, rebuild. They make a chirp noise, just before splitting and poking a hole in the tranny case. U-joints a whole lot less than tranny...