New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New guy and already in your debt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy and already in your debt!

Well we picked up a 97 LR Discovery and we are loving it!
It needs a new things done, brakes and power steering pump for starters but with the research I have done here already I solved the lug nut issue as well as figured out the front flashers and the brake switch (Couldn't put the LR in gear while waiting in line at the Costco Gas Station!) I pulled out the iPad did a search and had it hot-wired in about 10 minutes. Made everyone happy!

Thanks again guys and can't wait to dig further into our Disco and hopefully return the favor by helping some one out!

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome, download the RAVE set of service manuals and have on your I Pad. Link below. Numero Uno rule - do not believe the temp gauge, it is too optomistic. Above 9:00 is trouble. Consider investing in an Ultra Gauge which displays parameters from the OBDII diagnostic port, and also reads and resets codes.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I accept donuts as payment for debts....

Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I accept donuts as payment for debts....
No Prob!!! I'll buy but you have to come to DC to collect! Looks like thats a heck of a trip from Alaska!

Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be a fun trip. Farthest East I've been is Minneapolis. Drove there and back in my Full-size Jeep a few years back.(pre-disco days)

Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you fixed it or is it still hot wire?

Lots of people do carry either a spare switch or something that can be used in emergency, even a paper clip can be used to make it work. It may also just be out of the holder such that it does not activate but may still be good.

Read up on the ABS and decide if you want to pull that fuse.

How is the key? is it difficult to turn, do not force it.

What about the CDL shifter? Does it work smoothly?

Welcome aboard, I have an early 97, pre-AEL same as 96. Two different versions depending upon VIN.

Lots of little things to know, you will be exposed to them over time.

Send payment to:

Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have you fixed it or is it still hot wire?

Lots of people do carry either a spare switch or something that can be used in emergency, even a paper clip can be used to make it work. It may also just be out of the holder such that it does not activate but may still be good.
Nope not hot-wired anymore. I ordered a switch online and paid more for shipping than I did the switch. All is good now
Read up on the ABS and decide if you want to pull that fuse.
I have been doing a little reading and went out this week and got a Cross Style Lug Wrench. I am going to pull the tires tomorrow and look at the breaks and see about cleaning the ABS Sensors..(Still have to read up on that part tonight)
How is the key? is it difficult to turn, do not force it.
The key is a little bit of a weird thing. There is a right and wrong way for it to go in. If it goes in one way the LR will start but no electronics will work (radio, windows, wipers) but if you flip it over and start it everything works, I am thinking I am going to have to order and replace the switch
What about the CDL shifter? Does it work smoothly?
I can shift from high to low but I can't move it side to side to lock the hubs, I am not going to force it, I need a day when I have a friend around who can shift it back and forth while I look underneath and see whats going on, I am open to suggestions for sure!

Welcome aboard, I have an early 97, pre-AEL same as 96. Two different versions depending upon VIN.
Thanks for the reply and I look forward to any thoughts and suggestions.
As dumb as this sounds my project tonight other than reading is to replace the bulb behind the clock, its just burnt out and I have a new bulb just not in the right socket so I am going to play with modifying it wish me luck!

Lots of little things to know, you will be exposed to them over time.

Send payment to:
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Last edited by lifeguard17; 04-07-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: I can't spell or type worth a damn