New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New Member Introduction

Hi, Everyone! I want to introduce myself as a new registered member. I've been reading and learning from this Forum for about a year, but I figured it was time to officially join the LR Forum and participate.

I'm here to listen and learn b/c I am so frustrated with repairs on my LR vehicles. I work alot (no excuse b/c I'm sure everyone else does, too), so there's not much free time to do vehicle repairs myself. But, I'm gonna learn b/c I want to eventually know as much as any tech who diagnoses one of my vehicles. It'll take me some time and alot of mistakes, but I'm sure I'll get there, especially with a little help from my friends...and this Forum.

I mean, Land Rovers are just machines! Complicated and temperamental, like people I encounter, but maintaining LRs shouldn't be impossible. Instead, I'll view my LRs as a challenge to overcome; again, like dealing with some people. At least my Dscvry glows its amber "check engine" light when it's irritable, so I'm very much aware of its situation. My Dscvry's been doing that for a year now; it's very moody! I think the solution might be to just cover the message w/duct tape! I wonder if that solution would work w/people, too? Just kidding... Life is never boring w/Land Rovers!

Sorry for a long intro...but, on this Forum, I can guarantee that I'll listen much more than I'll talk or post. I have alot to learn about Land Rovers. Thank you in advance for your help.

That's my story...

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. What code turns on yonder light? Parts stores will usually read for free. Lots of great mechanics in parts of New York, you have to take the engine inside each night.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Mudding
Smile Reply to Savannah Buzz Welcome

Hi, Savannah Buzz. Thanks for the welcome and quick reply. I don't know what code is causing the Check Engine light. It seems to be a very closely held secret by all techs! And, you wouldn't believe the things that I've been told would happen to my Dscvry ever since that code went on! I couldn't have made them up in my wildest imagination, even if I tried...well, ok, maybe I could , but they'd never happen in real life...or machine life!

I get used to saying, "Wow, really! Well, then, I'd better call for a tow truck! You better not touch that vehicle at all, just to be safe!" Then, I call AAA, and tow it off to the next lucky mechanic.

I actually travel between 3 states for work, so I have the opportunity to try different techs. I did spend alot of time and $$ at LR dealerships; I thought I was doing the best thing for my LR children. Silly me...

I'm open to suggestions for good techs in southeastern NY, NJ, or eastern PA. I definitely put alot of mileage on my Rovers. And, I can't take the Dscvry engine in each night; I barely have time to turn the engine off! No garage either. I don't spoil my children; they have to rough it!

Where's a reliable parts store to get the Check Engine code read? I have Advance Auto Parts and Autozone locally, but I wasn't sure those stores could read LR diagnostic codes. However, I'm sure there's a Forum post with that information that I should be reading first! But, I figured I'd ask...

Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Default 1997 Dscvry Code P0430--Catalytic Converter

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Welcome. What code turns on yonder light? Parts stores will usually read for free. Lots of great mechanics in parts of New York, you have to take the engine inside each night.
Hi, S. Buzz. I finally had time to have the CEL code read by Advance Auto. The code turning on my CEL is P0430--Catalytic Converter . The rep from Advance Auto said that the message given was "threshold too lean". Usually lean is a good thing, but I'm thinkin' not so much of a good thing in this case!

I wanted to answer your question to me as a New Member, but I might also post this code info in the Dscvry I section to see what I should do .

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!