New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to scene

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New to scene

I have been a fan for years: remember my first ride as a child in the early 70's but never really had the oppurtunity to have my own until now. I nolonger needed the dually but found that I really needed to have something that I could haul parts and stuff with as well as tow a small trailer. I am always attracted to the unique and not so common and really wanted a Defender 110 but figured I would ease into that one and learn as much as possible first so I bought a '94 Discovery. It is a high mileage example but fits the bill perfectly. I can use it to assist with my other interest as a work truck and as a learning aid.

I have a shop and do restoration work on collectable BMW's so I will be doing all of the work myself and have already found some of the answers to little issues here on this forum. I know plenty about BMWs but very little about the Discovery.

Todd

Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. You will find a tech area in the Discovery 1 part of the forum with common work arounds and suggested repairs for older units. The tech manual set is a free download below, called the RAVE, it has workshop, electrical, body and interior manuals, plus owners manuals, for a great many Rovers including the Discovery 1's.

We have some very good dismantlers around this site that have lots of hard to get parts, pre-screened, some with warranty.

D1 has a good copper/brass radiator that can usually be rodded out, watch for any sign of overheating. Complete head gasket kits with new bolts run about $300. Alternators are better to have rebuilt locally or yourself, rather than go with aftermarket national chain rebuilt. I found that ripped driver seats could be replaced with good passenger seats, the lumbar **** just moves to the other side. Drive shafts need zerks, if not already rebuilt. Vehicle will drive with front shaft out and transfer case locked. Lots of things to oil and grease, do it early and often.

You also have Pull-A-Part around Atlanta, you can register a vehicle series of interest and receive text message or email when one comes on their lot.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-20-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! I too live in GA, vist the link below if you would like to go wheelin!
Welcome to SOLAROS

Just woundering, did you contact a person in Jefferson Ga about 95 discovery parts?

Last edited by collin Barrows; 09-20-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys! I have already been going thru the manuals and trying to learn as much as possible: glad to see that documentation is readily available. BMW's are much the same way but I was working on an Audi for a friend and found it difficult to find solutions for what I thought would have been common issues.

I was at pull-a-part north yesterday since I was in the area and they had 3 D-1 in the yard. I was able to get a few needed parts and observe more about the construction of the vehicle.

Seats. I have to work on those as I am sitting in a hole on the drivers side. Nothing major; just opportunity to learn.

collin Barrows: I did not contact anyone about parts but I would be interested. Would that be you? I am in Cumming. I will be ready to go wheelin soon: have to learn more about the condition of my vehicle and get comfortable with its ability.

Todd

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...highlight=seat for an example of driver seat fix. Some older seats had a webbing underneath, which can be re-woven.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

What was left in the D1's? I'm looking at hitting pull a part too.
I have an air dam ( slight damage from over sized tires), 2 radios, 1 cargo mat, a pair of rear lamp brush guards, sunroof repair kit, cross member roof bars, 4 Land Rover D1 tires and wheels.

Let me know if you want to go wheelin there a couple of guys in Dahlonega.

Theres also a Land Rover event coming up on October 20th in troy NC.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by collin Barrows
What was left in the D1's? I'm looking at hitting pull a part too.
I have an air dam ( slight damage from over sized tires), 2 radios, 1 cargo mat, a pair of rear lamp brush guards, sunroof repair kit, cross member roof bars, 4 Land Rover D1 tires and wheels.

Let me know if you want to go wheelin there a couple of guys in Dahlonega.

Theres also a Land Rover event coming up on October 20th in troy NC.

They have a 98 that is ready to be crushed. 1 96 that has the drivetrain and shows about 140k the other 96 is pretty beat (dark tint, exterior color change from silver to black, had monitors in headrest and what looked like some kind of dryer vents added to front fenders to simulate a new Range Rover). But they just received a 98 yesterday (typical: day late and dollar short). Not much interior left that was good except for rear jump seats.

I am interested in a few of your parts and saw your post on craigslist today. I need the S/R repair kit and possibly the cargo liner. I have a white 94 so if the grill is still avail; I might be interested in that as well. You mentioned needing speaker and interested in trading: what do you need?

Thanks, Todd

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Here is a shot of my new ride:

Attached Thumbnails New to scene-disco1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
They have a 98 that is ready to be crushed. 1 96 that has the drivetrain and shows about 140k the other 96 is pretty beat (dark tint, exterior color change from silver to black, had monitors in headrest and what looked like some kind of dryer vents added to front fenders to simulate a new Range Rover). But they just received a 98 yesterday (typical: day late and dollar short). Not much interior left that was good except for rear jump seats.

I am interested in a few of your parts and saw your post on craigslist today. I need the S/R repair kit and possibly the cargo liner. I have a white 94 so if the grill is still avail; I might be interested in that as well. You mentioned needing speaker and interested in trading: what do you need?

Thanks, Todd

I need some tweakers preferably 8 OHM. I have 2 10ins in the rear, but need some good treble to go with the monster bass...

Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Btw Nice Rover! The roof rack makes a rover look tough.