New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Novice Disco Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Thumbs up Novice Disco Enthusiast

Owned a Discovery 1 since last December 2010, learned alot about the vehicle's mechanical and history and became an enthusiast to everything LandRover - excluding the Freelander and the new Range Rover Evoque of course Thinking about getting an 04 Discovery 2 but I'm still assessing the risk's involved. What I'm looking to get out of a newer Land Rover is good cargo space, all terrain supremacy, distinctive design, more horsepower and torque, overall interior comfort and ultimately something ideal for extended camping trips (old fashioned tents) and peace of mind in the great outdoors. My Discovery 1 was alright but the experience could have been better so I'm hoping for improvements in the Discovery 2 models. I figured that getting an 04 being the final year for the Discovery series would be the best bet as far as general tech bugs are concerned. Hopefully by the 04 model year most of the issues have been addressed and the overall performance has been peaked... I'm familiar with the poor prop-shaft design for the front and rear and I know all to well how horrible these old engines are So if I decide to buy an 04 I'll be relying on rave manuals, member reviews/experiences and my tool box

Prefer not to include personal information online so just call me TRIARII. I'm here to try this out and have fun. I've performed alot of mechanical work on my Discovery so if anyone needs help with their Discovery 1 give me a yell and I'll add my novice input.

Oh and I've been wondering how to get into the classic Land Rover auto mechanic industry, anyone have any insight into the matter? By classic I'm referring to anything before 2005!

Last edited by TRIARII; 08-29-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Always a good thing if you can make your vocation a vacation..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Always a good thing if you can make your vocation a vacation..
Couldn't agree more with you. Problem is, there just isn't enough Land Rover specific garages out there for which to get involved. I guess in a worse case scenario I could always try opening my very own Land Rover garage then hire several members from LRF.com! Applications anyone?

Last edited by TRIARII; 08-29-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I always thought a good thing would be to rent a closed down auto dealership, sell parts and have an internet cafe in the front, and rent the bays by the day or week to guys that want a place to work on their cars. Of course, you could have a frame off Defender restoration going...

There was a recent post by a shop owner in the midwest, with a screaming yellow Range Rover that he put a new engine into, it will be have the shop logos and signs...

There should be a market for expert work on non-US luxury vehicles, bought for a song or owned by recently fiscally challenged yuppies, who are tired of paying dealer prices.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-29-2011 at 06:58 AM.