New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Proud new owner of a 1997 Land Rover Discovery SE7 =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new owner of a 1997 Land Rover Discovery SE7 =)

Love at first site! =)
My first utility vehicle!
My very own first truck!
And I bagged a Land Rover at first try! hahaha She's a beaut!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Put that excitement in a bottle, and keep on a shelf. When ugly problems arise, apply as needed.

2. Go to https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...h-miler-42471/ in our tech section for your first "homework" assignment.

3. This time of year, be sure radiator fins are clear, no trash between radiator and condenser, fan clutch is stiff when cold, and when warm still won't spin a whole revlution by hand. Overheating lurks, temp gauge should not be over 9:00 position. Gauge is not a linear instrument, anything over 50% is reason to stop and cool off, investigate. It is not like any detroit iron you may have owned (it a'int iron, its aluminum, but the idea for it wuz born in Dee troit).

4. Download the RAVE set of factory tech manuals for free. There is workshop, electrical, owners, body and interior, etc.

5. After your initial crawl under the vehicle, if you come out clean, go back - you missed something. Most things under a Disco are designed to be greased or oiled, and there are lots of them.

6. Jump in to the appropriate forum and ask as many questions as you can.

7. Pictures are always appreciated.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 AM
3rd Gear
Smile

Thanks for the "BUZZ" ... kill welcome! J/K
Seriously tho... thanks for the list of things to look out for. Very much appreciated.

My response as follows.

1. Put that excitement in a bottle, and keep on a shelf. When ugly problems arise, apply as needed.

UGLY need not apply. It's my first LD, but hardly my first car, off-roader or heavy equipment vehicle. I've driven cars on fire so a little leak don't scare. hehehe.. Excitement still running even higher on all 8 cylinders! She's aged but checks out just fine.

2. Go to https://landroverforums.com/forum/dis...h-miler-42471/ in our tech section for your first "homework" assignment.

1/3 of this list is already done in less than the first week I bought her. Others are already scheduled. Homework is in progress. =)

3. This time of year, be sure radiator fins are clear, no trash between radiator and condenser, fan clutch is stiff when cold, and when warm still won't spin a whole revlution by hand. Overheating lurks, temp gauge should not be over 9:00 position. Gauge is not a linear instrument, anything over 50% is reason to stop and cool off, investigate. It is not like any detroit iron you may have owned (it a'int iron, its aluminum, but the idea for it wuz born in Dee troit).

Aluminum block indeed. She's clocking at about no higher than the seven to eight o'clock position. No visible corrosion or radiator gunk build up. Radiator is very likely running at 95% capacity.

4. Download the RAVE set of factory tech manuals for free. There is workshop, electrical, owners, body and interior, etc.

This must be a gift from the LR Gods! Wonderful!!! Thank you Thank you!

5. After your initial crawl under the vehicle, if you come out clean, go back - you missed something. Most things under a Disco are designed to be greased or oiled, and there are lots of them.

I took a pass and my mechanic friend of 33 years fixing British cars took a pass. It passed!

I sure will. Just reading all the insightful tips from past questions is great! For sure I'll be asking more questions in the future.

Photos coming up very shortly.
I really got luck with this one... kinda of a barn find. Before I got her, she sat unwanted and unloved for several months from the second owner. First owner just babied this beast! Saw all the service records from then.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear
Default response

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Thanks for the Buzz... kill welcome Savannah! I think I just got throttled back! LOL

No worries, no ugly has come up. But seriously, thanks for keeping it real. I don't think the idea of keeping my excitement in a bottle would be practical however. The idea is to spread it, not be greedy! To everyone here who just got a LR... CHEERS to you!!!! =) Relish the moment and live with passion!!!!

2. Go to https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...h-miler-42471/ in our tech section for your first "homework" assignment.

Some good advice here! For me half of this homework I've done the first week I got her. The others are already scheduled on my calendar. Always good to be proactive with these.

3. This time of year, be sure radiator fins are clear, no trash between radiator and condenser, fan clutch is stiff when cold, and when warm still won't spin a whole revlution by hand. Overheating lurks, temp gauge should not be over 9:00 position. Gauge is not a linear instrument, anything over 50% is reason to stop and cool off, investigate. It is not like any detroit iron you may have owned (it a'int iron, its aluminum, but the idea for it wuz born in Dee trout).

Aluminum block indeed. Mine's perfect between 7 and 8 o'clock! She's quite the cool cat!

Perfect for all the stuff I may need, if the need, ever arises.

Nope didn't miss anything. Neither did my friend who's worked on British cars and trucks for the last 33 years.

The tips here are awesome!!! I will most definitely be posting my questions.

Get'n the images ready; after this weekend's trip!!! =)