New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Wee little question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wee little question

Hi all, just thought I'd say how much help this forum has been I just got a 2004 disco with 97000on the clock. Happily when I got it I found a nail file and nail polish fall out from under the dash, so its been a soccer mom mobile.
I'm new to maintaining something like this but so far i'm having a lot of fun getting to know it. Just tried out the HDC down a big hill outside las vegas, great fun!!!!
Just switched to synthetic and of course started to get some minor leaks I think from the drain plug, not too worried it should stop after a change or two.
With it being a soccer mom mobile I'm assuming the transmission fluid, transfer oil,and diff oils have never been changed, how tough a job is it? And are there any threads here to guide me.
I'm also leaving on a 1400 mile road trip to Minot ND which is currently underwater, I've checked and ensured my air intake is as sealed as possible, I had some trouble finding the one way valve at the base but it seem ok, any other tips i need to do to water proof it in case i find myself in deep water.

Thanks all

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very happy to read in my owners manual, instructions for "fording". Essentially, Land Rover says your vehicle is good to ford up to 20" deep. As is, from the factory. Of course precautions are wise and if you do any water excursions you will want to change your differential fluids again. Download the RAVE if you haven't already. It makes for good bedside reading.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by thospb
I was very happy to read in my owners manual, instructions for "fording". Essentially, Land Rover says your vehicle is good to ford up to 20" deep. As is, from the factory. Of course precautions are wise and if you do any water excursions you will want to change your differential fluids again. Download the RAVE if you haven't already. It makes for good bedside reading.
Owner's manual, they're for sissies, nah just kidding, I'm actually one of those guys who usually reads manuals from cover to cover, but I never got one with my Disco. Very frustrating, and I'm a poor recent grad, so I'm waiting for my first paycheck to buy one. I found some excerpts on fording, but not the whole thing, I'll try and download the RAVE and give it a read.
I also heard a rumor that US disco 2's should only go up to the hubs because of the electronics but UK discos can go all the way up to 20"? Doesn't sound fair to me.
Thanks for the input,
much appreciated

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 AM
5th Gear

just downloaded the RAVE, its excellent!!!!