New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

What to fix first!!!!:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to fix first!!!!:(

Ok so i got a 99 disco 2 about 6 months ago the motor runs strong but i had to replace fan clutch and thermostat. So im really new to mechanic work but i like fixing things anyways my d2 is overheating again it started about 3 months ago i was driving down hwy at about 60 and i had ac on and it started to heat up so i pulled over n let it cool put some water in it and it was good to go but after that i coulldnt run ac thhen i saw leakage from thermo replaced that now i got white smoke from tail pipe and milky oil so im pretty sure it needs head gaskets or cracked head but motor still runs good just recently it willonly go 3 mile n gethot but i can let it idle for about 20 mins then it gets hot i drained all milky oil and put head gasket sealer in motor now its holding water and oil is clean but overheats still im pretty sure water pump is ok !?! blew through lines no blockage on collant hoses. Im really broke and this is my only ride so what would be the most economical way to keep her alive and not break the bank i dont know if i could do heads or gaskets myself? Any suggestions ? And what could it be? Ohh and no more water leaks its holding good and when it warms up pressure on hoses and what happens when your thermo is stuck open??? Cause i think mine is?

Last edited by Paul1029; 06-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Head gasket sealer is bad juju so I would check for leakage around the head/block sealing surface. Sounds to me like you need to pull the heads to have them looked at as well as check the block. Get that sealer out with a good flush. It generally causes more problems than it helps in the long run. Might be cheaper to buy a beater for now if you need a daily and work the rover slowly.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:05 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by usaf_disco
Head gasket sealer is bad juju so I would check for leakage around the head/block sealing surface. Sounds to me like you need to pull the heads to have them looked at as well as check the block. Get that sealer out with a good flush. It generally causes more problems than it helps in the long run. Might be cheaper to buy a beater for now if you need a daily and work the rover slowly.
yea I'm gonna try and fix heads myself but gta get tools and find time hopefully I don't have to sell it but I need to get more $ to buy a ride

Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Its really not a hard job as long as you have the confidence. Just normal hand tools will word with a few nice things like torque wrenches etc. Most of the cost is Labor. AB head gasket kit is like 150 bucks and the couple hundred you will spend at the machine shop. as long as your block is good you can fix for less than a grand. I sprang for arp head studs because I trust those over the TTY bolts.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:30 PM
4wd Low

[QUOTE=usaf_disco;608637]Its really not a hard job as long as you have the confidence. Just normal hand tools will word with a few nice things like torque wrenches etc. Most of the cost is Labor. AB head gasket kit is like 150 bucks and the couple hundred you will spend at the machine shop. as long as your block is good you can fix for less than a grand. I sprang for arp head studs because I trust those over the TTY bolts.[/b.l

Old 07-08-2017, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear
Default Wanted a Land Rover for 50years

Ever since I started driving I always thought Land Rovers were the coolest set of wheels ever to pound the pavement. The cost of repairs and difficulty in obtaining used parts led my wife and I to go with Grand Wagoneers for the last 30 years, but an opportunity came up to purchase a pristine 2007 LR3 and I couldn't say no, so here we are.
My background is self employed with a sawmill and planer mill in Ladysmith Vancouver Island BC.(sawmillsales.ca) and a history of drag cars in the late 60's and early 70's. Not too much automotive in recent years, being self employed takes up a lot of time to do it right.
Looking forward to discussions with the group about various problems and fixes that will probably occur, and if I can help others in general terms I shall try to do so.
Let's get started! Robert Adams

Last edited by Ladysmith Bob; 07-08-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Put in wrong place
Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM
4wd Low

[QUOTE=Paul1029;611515]
Originally Posted by usaf_disco
Its really not a hard job as long as you have the confidence. Just normal hand tools will word with a few nice things like torque wrenches etc. Most of the cost is Labor. AB head gasket kit is like 150 bucks and the couple hundred you will spend at the machine shop. as long as your block is good you can fix for less than a grand. I sprang for arp head studs because I trust those over the TTY bolts.[/b.l
i think block is ok I hope so far I have replaced fan clutch,then thermostat but it was a 15$ one I got on eBay with four holes I think you said get the grey one?180? I flushed radiator and heater core with hose I didn't see any trash come out so I guess that's good I put new water pump on also I put in orange antifreeze is that good or No? I had green when I bought it but AutoZone said it calls for orange I made sure fans are good i what else to do u think if I get 180 grey thermos and green antifreeze that will help I know it needs head gaskets but I don't know about heads? And the oil smells like gasoline is that cause of the head gaskets? it's ok for about 20 miles as long as I don't go over 50 but after 20 miles it gets hot a buddy told me to try m put a toggle switch on small fan in front of radiator to keep it cool idk??? Need advice man please help

Last edited by Paul1029; 07-09-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I would stick with green antifreeze. The orange will eat seals and gaskets.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 AM
4wd Low
Default green

[QUOTE=Paul1029;611595]
Originally Posted by Paul1029
i think block is ok I hope so far I have replaced fan clutch,then thermostat but it was a 15$ one I got on eBay with four holes I think you said get the grey one?180? I flushed radiator and heater core with hose I didn't see any trash come out so I guess that's good I put new water pump on also I put in orange antifreeze is that good or No? I had green when I bought it but AutoZone said it calls for orange I made sure fans are good i what else to do u think if I get 180 grey thermos and green antifreeze that will help I know it needs head gaskets but I don't know about heads? And the oil smells like gasoline is that cause of the head gaskets? it's ok for about 20 miles as long as I don't go over 50 but after 20 miles it gets hot a buddy told me to try m put a toggle switch on small fan in front of radiator to keep it cool idk??? Need advice man please help
ok so stay with the green any specific kind or brand?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling

[QUOTE=Paul1029;612531]
Originally Posted by Paul1029
ok so stay with the green any specific kind or brand?
whatever is on sale. don't buy 50/50 its a waste of money. get the concentrate and a couple gallons of distilled water.