New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

What to get????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get????

Hello I just want to start off with I dont yet have a Land Rover but I want one I am just curious about somethings. You hear a lot of bad things about land rovers from people who dont have them. I have had my Audi A4 for 3 years now and never a problem but everyone said to look out. I have been looking at the Discovery and the LR3 2005-2006's I like what I am seeing however I am just wondering what everyone has to say about them. How much is a normal oil change? How much is it for basic maintenance etc. What do people who actually own them think of them, as well as what you recommend me to look for/out for.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. In our technical sections you will find lists of things to to to new-2-u vehicles, and things to look for on certain models, like Discovery, some of this applies to all models.

Cost of quality oil change and filter is about like anywhere else. Best advice is to do this about every 5000 miles, no matter hat the book schedule says. Many people run a diesel rated oil for the increased cleaning and wear chemicals contained.

Maintenance by a dealer is priced to impress. You can DIY or have non-Rover dealer mechanics provide basic service. Complete factory tech manuals for most models download for free at link below, they are called the RAVE.

Many Rover owners off road from time to time, so vehicles can require more service. 4 liter engines seem to have fewer problems than 4.6 with regard to loss of oil pressure. Anything beyond 1998 has lots of electronics and it is best to start off with a brand new battery. The 03 year had a range of VIN that were subject to oil pump problems.

Most Rover owners on this forum love their trucks, and lavish attention on them, in return the Rover will do a good job of taking care of you.