Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Commuter Car Advice...GO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't have a Kia if you payed me to take it!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I have actually been noticing the 626.. Not sure I could do a Civic

Yeah looking for a 5-spd but wouldn't be too upset with an automatic (especially in stop-and-go traffic). I had a 2000 Maxima SE 5-spd before my Disco....what a terrible decision getting rid of that thing, same with my 96 DI before that....
As from other concerns of the 626, it has surpassed by expectations @ 175k for a '98. Mazda's are known for their solid builds. As mentioned, if you find one that has all the service history, it will go on forever, well...almost. The best thing with the 626, it will net you way over 35mph with the 5-speed, and good comfort! My old civic D15 can hit 40mph, but wasn't as comfortable.

Tried an E36 ti and W203 Hatchie, a few of the VeeDub Marks also. Something with Euros, I cant keep from modifying them. I end up not driving them in the end and revert back to the Civic or jump on a bike. I just stay away now-a-days, kids never liked the interior color selections (miss that red leather interior), and thought were not as comfortable...?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A note about the older Merc diesels - I have a pal who runs his on home made bio diesel, 50% veggie oil, which he gets free from a diner. Filters it at home and mixes it (must have learned how to do that at grandpa's still...), no preheat or heated tank needed down here. Same mpg, $2 per gallon cost, and he just drove to Greenwich CT and back on it. Obviously carried some with him. The Merc diesel fuel injector pump is a stout piece of machinery.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd love an old MB 300TD wagon. The only problem is they have all turned to dust here in the northeast.

One of my customers gave me an '86 Jetta coupe last year. It has just 64K on the odometer, is completely rust free with a ton of recent new parts. It's a 5 speed with the 1.8 CIS injection system. The car gets between 36-37 mpg on the highway. It makes me laugh every time I see either a Smart Car or Prius. When you calculate the savings in resources by using a car 25 years old against the miniscule difference in mileage (never mind the rare minerals used in the batteries of these hybrids) it becomes apparent that these newer e-efficient cars are really just for people who need to make a statement.

I remember buying a new Honda CRX 1.5 back in 1984. That car got close to 50 mpg on the highway. They even offered an HF high efficiency model back then with a 1.3L that got even better mileage. Now we celebrate these hybrids and "smart" cars that can barely get that efficiency as solutions to out resource problems. WTF

Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

1996 Buick Century, not fun not sporty, but it gets 30 or better on the highway and on my stop and go commute into the office it gets around 24 mpg. It's boring it reliable has no soul, but I did a full tune up, replaced a intake manifold gasket, put new shocks and struts on it and front pads for less than $200. Hell a new window motor only costs $20 shipped.

The seats are old person comfortable to, sort of like a lazy boy couch...

I can't hate this car. Oh and did I mention you can find clean ones for a $1000-1500

Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into E36s. The inline 6 is damned reliable, the manual tranny is pretty much bulletproof, and they're fun as hell to drive. Get one with the sport seats, they're superb. Sports seats are identified by the pull out thigh bolster but having a normal headrest, not the wrap down around the seat kind in the M3s (Vader seats). The normal seats and Vaders suck to sit in, the Sport seats are perrrrrfect. When I had a 94 325is I could see 25 MPG on all-freeway roadtrips averaging 80 with a couple stints well above that. Also, the DIY community and support behind them is excellent.

Cons:
Auto tranny is made by GM and is sh*t
Interior is cheaply made
Cooling system and suspension will both need work, but it's not too expensive

Also, I have a W202 C Class right now as my commuter and I really enjoy it. I have the V-6 - I'd highly recommend the I6 instead for reliability and simplicity. E34 5 series are dirt cheap as well, and ones with the I6 get reasonable fuel economy.

I wouldn't want a soulless Civic or Corolla. I drive 100 miles each day in bumper to bumper and need something that excites me a little while being easy on gas and semi reliable.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

From Paul Grant:

I remember buying a new Honda CRX 1.5 back in 1984. That car got close to 50 mpg on the highway. They even offered an HF high efficiency model back then with a 1.3L that got even better mileage. Now we celebrate these hybrids and "smart" cars that can barely get that efficiency as solutions to out resource problems. WTF

Yep, I had a blue one 1.5 with automatic, 43 mpg, drove like a bat outta a well, bought new in 84, wifey's grad school ride, tag "APHD2B". The annual smog test machine would not even register when the inspection station put the sensor in the tail pipe. It had 12 valves, I think the extra one was called a "quench" valve. Best car I ever owned. Wifey ran over something and had a flat, the shop found a 17 mm box end Craftsman wrench inside the tire. I showed it to her, explaining that she should have seen it in the roadway. She countered that since it was metric it must have been left in at the factory....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
From Paul Grant:

Yep, I had a blue one 1.5 with automatic, 43 mpg, drove like a bat outta a well, bought new in 84, wifey's grad school ride, tag "APHD2B". The annual smog test machine would not even register when the inspection station put the sensor in the tail pipe. It had 12 valves, I think the extra one was called a "quench" valve. Best car I ever owned. Wifey ran over something and had a flat, the shop found a 17 mm box end Craftsman wrench inside the tire. I showed it to her, explaining that she should have seen it in the roadway. She countered that since it was metric it must have been left in at the factory....
I remember dealers in the NYC area getting up to $2000 over list for these cars when they first came out. It was insane. We had a dealer installed sunroof and 14" Enkei wheels with Pirelli P6's. It was a 5 speed and it was a blast. When I broke up with my live in girlfriend I let her keep the car. I went out and bought a ruby red metallic 911. That wasn't quite as economical!!!