Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Hu-man 'Geek' Misanthropist Club (96 D1 Engine turns over but won't start up) cont'd

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default She's a-purrin' again

The start problem has been solved.

You know to win a lady over - get her out of her withdrawn, switched-off mode - you have to get into her brain (yes, I aim high). So I thought hard about how to switch this lady Landy's mind over and get her fired up and purring again as she had greatly embarrassed me of late - and suddenly went into complete withdrawal. Nil response. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Niks. Kein.

I thought hard and long and decided that during start:

1. The potential for a full spark at the spark plugs while part of the battery power is being used up by the starter motor evidenty was low.

2. When the engine was hot there was distinct over-fuelling so the weak spark had even less effect.

3. Why was there an over-rich mixture with the warm engine? Likely the engine control module did not know the engine was at normal operating temperature? I decided I'll do one thing at a time re the fuel and ordered a new coolant temperature sensor.

4. How did I know the spark was weak (warm or cold)? Even the slightest incline, or one half of a wheel revolution during a tow caused an immediate start. Turn it off, do a battery start with the brand new battery, and nothing except frustration. Tow-start it the engine fires within the first yard of movement.

So what were the culprits? I replaced the recently replaced (unmarked Chinese made ?) ignition amplifier module with a genuine UK made Lucas unit, as well as a Bosch coil. Also as mentioned above the coolant temperature sensor was replaced with a genuine UK unit.

On the first turn with a key start she fired up. I tested her when she was hot. I triggered her when she was cold. I let drove her warm and hard and let her soak in the heat of the day. Since the brain gets the proper inputs she fires up immediately and runs smoothly.

Best of all is I now know how her mind works.

Next is the massive power steering leak which is another embarrassment.

I just may decide to keep her.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default a bit on the jealous side..

Good afternoon Mr. Montero.. I hope your travels today were agreeable for you and that your Lady Landy treated you right.

How delightful it is to hear that her starting problem has been resolved! I have to say that I'm most impressed that you were able to switch her mind over so that she's purring for you again. There's nothing like a growling, nasty Lady Landy behaving badly to upset a gentleman's day.... Hm.. what exactly are all the ways a Lady Landy could behave badly and what constitutes behaving badly? Shall we count the ways? No.. let's not and say that we did We wouldn't want to ruin anyone's year.

Especially mine I'd like to have a good relationship with my Rover.

Why is behaving badly so much more fun than acting civilly? I suppose it depends on which side you're on, doesn't it? If you're the driver and your Rover is behaving badly there isn't much fun in that, is there? All that hissing and sputtering, having to replace parts, not being able to travel to the places you care to go, having to wait and wait and wait..... on parts. On the other hand, however, if you're the driver and acting badly, the Rover is most likely taking you to where you want to go and doing it how you expected it would all along...

I must say that your spark issue sounds complicated, Mr. Montero, and I'm ashamed/embarrassed to say that I had difficulty following the train of thought. My mind doesn't work that way.....unfortunately. It just sounds so much like 'real man' work.. and somewhat overwhelming for an innocent like me Albeit very impressive I suppose that is why you state that 'Landrover's aren't for sissies', hm?

'Best of all is I now know how her mind works'

...does that mean you are a mind reader now like me?...(lol..) I have to admit that I'm starting to doubt my own 'self-touted' mind reading capabilities as I haven't been reading minds correctly for the past few weeks (for as long as I've put my magic 8-ball up on the shelf). Perhaps you could give me a lesson sometime when we enjoy that chocolate cake?

I have a confession to make.... I had brownies this past weekend FROSTED!!!! (Don't worry.. they were just brownies.. no cake involved )

Smiles...
R.

Last edited by landlover_1; 05-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by slabrat
Pretty Good verbage your throwin around there Landlover!! Pretty good verbage .. I do appreciate your use of the "english." Personally I speak hillbilly most of the time living in the south U.S. but my egregious perspicacity for travel has helped to knock some of the rough edges off my dialect. At least I hope it helps.
We plan on being in Europe for a few months this summer. Hope to increase many things while there other than language. Maybe I'll run into some Rover enthusiasts in GB Or maybe our friend OffroadFrance, Never know what will come of it.
Hoping to sup the finest wine and food that is appropriate to our meager budget. Staying 4 months is challenging especially moving from place to place every couple of weeks.
We will be checking in on this forum from time to time to see what I'm missing in the U.S. sigh So Little time.
Cheers
We are resident in France Slabrat but will be in the UK during September and would be great to meet up with you, I like the southern drawl as well having been based in Texas and all that. When are you visiting the UK?

I keep promising myself a visit to the US and a trek around it for a few weeks although it's a huge country and I'll never get around much of it in a few weeks. I would plan on visiting NY and the Bronx right down to Arizona, Texas and of course, Kentucky I visited Australia some time ago for a month and only saw small sections of the west, east centre and north during that visit and also the extreme heat restricts how much anyone can do at one time.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Jeez, you guys, there's an awful lot of verbage to catch up on here between the two of you. I've got to say there is some pretty good Anglais being used which is also encouraging. I haven't read the thread as such as I only picked up on Slabrat's post this evening. I'll meander through the post but it's awfully long already - 6+ pages I believe, bit like reading Tolstoy's War & Peace or Tchekhov. Hey-ho, being most French towns 'die' at 17.30 there's nothing else around so I'll get reading.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Jeez, you guys, there's an awful lot of verbage to catch up on here between the two of you. I've got to say there is some pretty good Anglais being used which is also encouraging. I haven't read the thread as such as I only picked up on Slabrat's post this evening. I'll meander through the post but it's awfully long already - 6+ pages I believe, bit like reading Tolstoy's War & Peace or Tchekhov. Hey-ho, being most French towns 'die' at 17.30 there's nothing else around so I'll get reading.
Hello Offroad
I was feeling a bit too mischievous so decided to take a break from my usual ramblings…. Welcome to our round table To be quite honest I believe my brain has gone blank as of late.I don’t feel as creative as I have been in the past and think it’s due to a stressful situation I was going thru lately. But I’m coming around…maybe not strong enough to handle Tolstoy & Tchekhov dialogue just yet but I’ll get there

So tell me…do you often do a search for your name on the forum? Lol….
I couldn’t resissssstt…….

Happy Father’s Day