Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Jeep JL Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Jeep JL Wrangler

Don't shoot! I like both brands. Loyalties lie with older landies, but I still love Jeep's too.

The new Jeep JL super bowl commercial (linked) looks kick a**. Also noted that they're switching back to a solid front axle. Might be one that gains a spot in the driveway in a few years.

https://youtu.be/OmMa4kLj-ZQ

Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks like it's packed w a bunch of cool features. Still way to expensive in my opinion but cool nonetheless.

Jeeps are so popular here you literally can't drive down the street with out seeing 4 or 5 every few minutes. I know that's dumb to care about but it's hard for me to get into them. For that reason. I like being different.

Most guys (I guess gals too) lift the crap out of them, bolt on 10k worth of crap, and proceed to drive to the mall. Only about one in 20 are ones you can tell actually see dirt.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Totally agree with Sotf1, but you can't deny a new Rubicon is a sweet rig. They're just too expensive out of the gate and hold more value than they're worth. Even all used-up, needing restoration, Wranglers are too expensive to start with, and when you're done, you just have something everyone else has. The mall crawlers have ruined the image. I would still like to build a CJ someday; I always thought they were cool as a kid, but my D2 scratches where I itch for now..

Old 02-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I had the Jeep bug during the TJ/LJ days and they were okay. However very "overrated" IMHO. Extremely cheaply made, heck they had rusty frames/axles right off of the showroom.... I had an 05 Rubicon from when it had 1,500 miles on it brand new and it had issues at 11K, 18K, 24k, 32K, and 48K. I spent way more time at the dealership under their so called warranty (had to go to war over dirt on my bad cats with 36K on it... They tried to say I abused it off road due to dirt on the exhaust..). I finally got tired of it and sold it for 14.5K with only 54K on it. It took me 2 months to sell it and it sold faster when I removed all the quality off road parts and put it back to stock (then I made $$$ on the aftermarket parts). I then tried an 05 LJ and it was much more reliable than my 05 TJ Rubicon, but it suffered from the same weak spots and I had to address each one of them or face the same issues I had with the 05 Rubicon. I eventually got tired of the Jeep crowd as mentioned above it went from people off roading to cars & coffee meet ups, car washes, to just eating out and acting like a biker gang. The image changed and they're a dime a dozen around here so I sold it and eventually got back into Land Rover's and boy was I glad to be back! LR's are much better built, more unique, and more reliable from my 2 Wrangler experiences.

I just saw a 50K JLU at a local CU the other day and it's just an American version of the G500 IMHO. They're no longer like the CJ/YJ/TJ/LJ days. Sorry there is no way it's worth 50K (and it wasn't even a Rubicon). I'd much rather grab myself 4-5 99-04 D2's fix the engines or slap in a Chevy 4.8L conversion, and call it a day. I'll have a more unique, fun to drive, and more comfortable vehicle in the end.

If I had to go buy a brand new SUV right now I'd save myself some $$$$ and grab a Toyota TRD 4Runner vs a Jeep JL/JLU anyday.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I've worked on Liberties and I hate them, they aren't a real Jeep. I make really good money off the one's I hate, funny how that works...... I make REALLY GOOD money on Rovers..... hmmm. Yota once upon a time was fun, like the FJ but now it's just a big yawn boring and sucks fuel like a Caddy. The Yota seats always have made my **** sore, they wedge your cheeks together on stiff foam and expect you to like it. Payback from two big booms.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I had the Jeep bug during the TJ/LJ days and they were okay. However very "overrated" IMHO. Extremely cheaply made, heck they had rusty frames/axles right off of the showroom.... I had an 05 Rubicon from when it had 1,500 miles on it brand new and it had issues at 11K, 18K, 24k, 32K, and 48K. I spent way more time at the dealership under their so called warranty (had to go to war over dirt on my bad cats with 36K on it... They tried to say I abused it off road due to dirt on the exhaust..). I finally got tired of it and sold it for 14.5K with only 54K on it. It took me 2 months to sell it and it sold faster when I removed all the quality off road parts and put it back to stock (then I made $$$ on the aftermarket parts). I then tried an 05 LJ and it was much more reliable than my 05 TJ Rubicon, but it suffered from the same weak spots and I had to address each one of them or face the same issues I had with the 05 Rubicon. I eventually got tired of the Jeep crowd as mentioned above it went from people off roading to cars & coffee meet ups, car washes, to just eating out and acting like a biker gang. The image changed and they're a dime a dozen around here so I sold it and eventually got back into Land Rover's and boy was I glad to be back! LR's are much better built, more unique, and more reliable from my 2 Wrangler experiences.

I just saw a 50K JLU at a local CU the other day and it's just an American version of the G500 IMHO. They're no longer like the CJ/YJ/TJ/LJ days. Sorry there is no way it's worth 50K (and it wasn't even a Rubicon). I'd much rather grab myself 4-5 99-04 D2's fix the engines or slap in a Chevy 4.8L conversion, and call it a day. I'll have a more unique, fun to drive, and more comfortable vehicle in the end.

If I had to go buy a brand new SUV right now I'd save myself some $$$$ and grab a Toyota TRD 4Runner vs a Jeep JL/JLU anyday.
I agree on pretty much all counts, but I still love em. Love my land Rover more, but I love both. I've still got awesome memories of riding to kindergarten in my dad's TJ, with the rag top down, and Tony Toni Toné - Feels Good bumping every single day. The rag top makes it for me. I wouldn't pay 50k out of the gate, but I'd pay 5k a decade down to road for one with a bad engine to drop a V8 in.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah plenty of memories for sure. I wanted a D90, but couldn’t find one used for anywhere near the new 05 TJ Rubicon price. It served it’s purpose, but there is just more to LR’s for me.

The only JK I really liked was the LJ prototype, but it never made it into production. We a topless/doorless JK in Maui on our honeymoon & I’d never go to Maui and rent any other type of vehicle!