Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
View Poll Results: Which vehicle do you prefer?
P38 Range Rover
16.67%
2003-04 Discovery
66.67%
LR3
16.67%
Small SUV
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Which is more practical and better all around for BSA camping? P38 or 2003-04 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

please don't spend 20+ on a disco 2. I'm not gonna tell you what do do with your money, but make sure it's really perfect, and have a professional go over it with a fine tooth comb.
If you're willing to travel to nj for a car let me know i'll put together really nice 04 disco2 with a rebuilt engine with tophat liners same color as the one you're looking at but not a 7 seater, A white 06 LR3 with g4 accessory package or a next to perfect 99black P38 range rover approx 70,000 This one I may have trouble prying from my Sons cold dead hands.
pm me seriously
is this LR3 too tacky for you you'd be the coolest scout master in the crowd!
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/t...rications/LR3/

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 06-29-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm not spending 22,800 on a Disco when at the same dealer they want 21,900 for a '07 LR3 (not that I want it.) I did the research on KBB, Edmunds and the maximum they say the dealer can get for it is between 13,000-15,600. I did find another one just like it except it's a much cheaper at 7,900, it has 6,000 more miles, and it dosen't the third-row seats which I've already heard is useless unless you can find the thinnest, shortest person alive, and even then it's still not that comfortable.

And by the way, that LR3's tackiness factor exploded when threalassmikeg showed me the two pics of that LR3.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling

BOOM!!! That one's mine... I'm just a tacky basard!! Lol
What else should I not put on it???

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by henrodstone
oilspotLR, I have found a 2004 Disco HSE in Birmingham, AL for $22,800 that looks perfect from both the pictures, the CARFAX, and the description. Epsom Green on Alpaca Beige, 1 owner with 85,000 miles. The price is a bit high, but I can do some negotiating. Here she is: http://www.rmr4x4.com/web/vehicle_photos/485857

Only issue with that one is it has 85k. For $22,850 I would think it should have less than 30k. Like I said, might not be possible to find one with that low of miles...

Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
please don't spend 20+ on a disco 2. I'm not gonna tell you what do do with your money, but make sure it's really perfect, and have a professional go over it with a fine tooth comb.
If you're willing to travel to nj for a car let me know i'll put together really nice 04 disco2 with a rebuilt engine with tophat liners same color as the one you're looking at but not a 7 seater, A white 06 LR3 with g4 accessory package or a next to perfect 99black P38 range rover approx 70,000 This one I may have trouble prying from my Sons cold dead hands.
pm me seriously
is this LR3 too tacky for you you'd be the coolest scout master in the crowd!
LR3 pictures by bokiefabrications - Photobucket
^^NJ isn't that long of a fight... ^^

Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Here is the link to the other one I found:

Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE for Sale by Carpoint Dfw

About that tackiness, my theory is that if you're just going to drive it around the roads, leave it alone, don't get it all macho unless you're going off-road.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling

We're all trying to help YOU here . You're the one listed the LR3 as an option..

The P38s were Land Rovers cutting edge computerized vehicle. They were and are still nice, They are electrically problematic in many respects, parts are getting hard to find
and if you don't have a clue, you'll spend a ton of your hard earned money trying to keep it alive, You may even have to sell organs if you fall short on cash.
(not practical)
The Disco 2 are a solid vehicle. the problem with most of these is that previous owners did not keep up with them and they now need a ton of work (unbeknownst to you). These repair costs more than not exceed the blue book value. Then you're stuck with a big lump of **** in your driveway and asking more questions (hopefully not poll type ones) on what you should do next.. You may just get lucky and find a nice one?

The Disco 2 does not have a lot of 2nd row leg room for those scouts you'll be toting around so keep that in mind when they're kicking your seat for 5 hrs on or off road (it really doesn't matter)
(You can decide if it's practical)
The LR3 as tacky as you may feel Is also a solid vehicle. a lot of these have just gone out of warranty and have still been maintained at the dealer under warranty for 50,000 miles. They can also be problematic in areas but they dont typically have major engine or trans issues. The 7 seater is nice because you can fold down all 2nd and 3rd row seats. and actually fit some gear in.

Things i like about the Disco2 over the LR3.

Sporty front driver and passenger seats
The Disco2 has two nice storage compartments to put tow straps and some gear.
The higher seating for the driver and passenger.
The compass in the mirror

Things i like about the LR3
A Steering wheel that telescopes and tilts.
A smoother ride
More power to be as agressive as the other aggressive driver (you'll like this in Alabama)
Adjustable air supension with extended ride height
programmed electroninic off road controls
(practical)

Old 06-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Winching

By far LR3's are the most comfortable Land Rover ever made. (Not talking about Range Rovers)

Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by henrodstone
Here is the link to the other one I found:

Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE for Sale by Carpoint Dfw

About that tackiness, my theory is that if you're just going to drive it around the roads, leave it alone, don't get it all macho unless you're going off-road.
It looks nice. you won't actually know til you look at it in person and take it to a reputable local land rover repair facility (not necesssarily a dealer) to look it over before purchase.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Drifting

threalassmikeg, Thanks a lot for making the post describing the three vehicles, you pretty much answered all of my questions except for one which I'll get to later. Anyway, I'm not getting a P38, I've crunched the numbers and it doesn't have enough space in the back for most of my stuff with the rear seat up, and as you pointed out, there's more technology that can go wrong compared to the disco. But about the one for 22k, I've been negotiating through e-mails to the dealer and so far he has lowered the price to 18,750, is it a good buy? let me know. But as far as rear seat room goes, there's only a 0.3 increase in leg room on the LR3 compared to the disco so it's no deal breaker. Funny thing happened last night, I was picking up some friends at the airport in Pensacola and oddly enough, I followed a black LR3 all the way home, and I've actually warmed up to the LR3 design a little bit, I've found they look better in dark colors compared to light colors. But getting back to the topic at hand, which ever one I look at, I will be taking it to a LR certified independent mechanic and have him inspect it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it won't be a oil-burning 1980s Chevrolet Citation wearing nice clothes. I'll also be asking for service records to make sure the famed Head Gasket problem has been taken care of, and that the SLS, ACE, and the rest of the drive train has been properly maintained. But as I said in the beginning of this post, are there any performance accessories you can get for the 2003-04 Discos just to make it 0.5-1.0 seconds faster? I'm not a ricer, I'm not going to put a coffee can on the exhaust, I would just like a bit more power to make lane changes and speed up when I've got some idiot tractor-trailer truck driver climbing in my ****.

Quick Reply: Which is more practical and better all around for BSA camping? P38 or 2003-04 Disco?