Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Another Disco? What's wrong with me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Another Disco? What's wrong with me...

Yeah I just sold my D1 last week. Not regretting the sale as I sold it to an enthusiast and I can't keep an extra vehicle right now. But I miss having a project truck and I've already thought of some build ideas for the future when having a project truck will be possible for me again (hopefully in a few months).

I would like to get another D2. Preferably an '03 or '04. I used to have an '04, sold it back in January. I miss that truck a lot, but I don't miss the problems it had. Mainly engine problems like head gaskets, oil pump failure, and the constant fear of slipping a liner. With that said, the perfect D2 for me would be one without the stock 4.6L, but with something else. So I think an engine swap is in order.

Here are some reliable options that I thought of:

Option #1: Chevy LS + Stock 4HP24 + CDL LT230
This would probably be easiest swap because of the simplicity of wiring and the fact that it has been done before. Mounts and adapter plates shouldn't be hard to find. And you can get a new LS. Not sure which LS though, probably one of the smaller displacement ones like a 4.8L or 5.3L.

Option #2: Tophat liner Rover V8 block + Stock 4HP22 + CDL LT230
Even easier than the LS because it's only an improvement over the stock design. But it's the most expensive at $5k just for the block (AB's price). I really don't know what other companies do tophat blocks, but I'm sure that they're out there.

Option #3: Toyota 4.7L iFORCE V8 + Aisin 340 Trans + Toyota T-case
Being the Toyota fanboy that I am, this is my favorite option. The 4.7 is an engine that I am very familiar with. It is super reliable. Had one that went 350k without any issues in a Sequoia. The T-case will be from a sequoia as it has a center diff with CDL. Also like the fact that it has a cast iron block. This will be the hardest swap of the three because I will need custom engine mounts, custom trans mounts, custom t-case mounts, and custom drive shafts. Wiring will also be hard because toyota stuff has a lot of computers and I'm not sure how they will behave without the toyota BCU or ABS computers. Might need to incorporate those into the D2 as well. After all of this I'm still not sure if it will even work right.

Option #4: Build a stock Rover V8
Address all the common failures of the 4.6 like the oil pump, head gaskets, cooling issues, coil packs, etc. Only thing that might be an issue is the slipped liner potential, but if the motor stays cool, it won't slip a liner right? Best thing for this job would be to use the existing crank from the 4.6 in the D2 with an earlier 4.0 block to reduce the potential for liner failure.

I'm pretty much just thinking out loud here. Let me know what you guys think of these options. Yes this is crazy. Yes it won't be very cheap. Yes, I am probably not all there.

Also let me know of any other reliable swaps you have in mind.

I was thinking of a 4BT swap, but I doubt that it would be CA emissions legal. I'm not sure if there is a CA legal diesel swap, but I would consider it if there is. In California, all diesels after 1998 require emissions testing.

Aside from the engine swap, the D2 will get a heavy duty lift 2 or 3 inch lift, tires, bumpers, winch, lights, lockers, etc. This will be an overlanding build so it must be reliable. I will make a build thread when I start the build.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 10-05-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Just about sums up LAND ROVER Ownership

" But I miss having a project truck and I've already thought of some build ideas for the future when having a project truck will be possible for me again (hopefully in a few months). "

And what's wrong with you... nothing you have Disco Fever...there is no cure. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by OverRover; 10-05-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

" But I miss having a project truck and I've already thought of some build ideas for the future when having a project truck will be possible for me again (hopefully in a few months). "

And what's wrong with you... nothing you have Disco Fever...there is no cure. GOOD LUCK!

100% true. And there is no cure.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

All three options sound interesting and feasible. Money, you can't take it with ya.

Brian.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

In the UK there is an expression for this ludicrous behaviour, in this case LR ownership it's likened to "driving down the M6 motorway throwing £50 notes out of the truck window"

Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by OverRover

That just about sums it up!!! Excellent post OverRover