Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

A Warning about D2 Coil Packs from Lucky 8 dba LRParts on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I've used Rock Auto & Ebay D2 coil packs vs the OEM bosch coils & I've never had any issues. Removing the intake manifold isn't bad at all unless you have SAI which does make it a little more time consuming.

I've done it at least 6-10 times now and it's faster vs denting your HVAC lines & tearing your hands all to pieces!

I agree in the other thread I saw Lucky8 try to consult you on a refund stating to return the coils for a refund...

I know a lot of folks that "lie" and say a part is defective and request a new replacement without sending the old one back. 60% of the time the customer is actually scamming a company for another part for free... Not saying your doing that, but I agree with Lucky8's policy 100%! Return your defective coil pack for a refund or no return no refund!
Until you got to the part ". . . not saying you're doing that", it sure sounded like you were saying that was exactly what I was doing.

Given how much I've thrown at this so far in terms of my time, the $50, or worse, replacements is meaningless: while the $50 would be a small moral victory ($40 after shipping), I would never go with anything other than Slovenian-made Bosch coils. It is just not worth it.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
You think if we ignore him he'll just go away?
No. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Unfortunately no it never works out that well, let's be honest he is ignoring everyone that doesn't match his picture.

I'm torn though between ordering a set of the coils or a snorkel for the p38 from the guys at Lucky8.

You do realize that Lucky8 doesn't make the coils right? You most likely bought Britpart coils that everyone sells?
Play a little Russian roulette: go with the coils, LRPARTS still has 6 left on eBay.

No identification on the coils at so no idea who might have made them.

Of course I know they don't make the coils, only distribute them: as far as I can tell, they don't have the analog design skills (PWM is not considered digital as far as I know) nor likely the relationships with the contract manufacturers in Shenzhen, Hangzhou or elsewhere nor the minimum volumes they would need to commit to, etc.

Choice is Bosch or roulette: when my 13 year-old coils finally give up (now that they're out of the oven behind the manifold, hopefully that'll be a while), it'll be Bosch again. Not worth saving $15-20 a coil.

Wish I hadn't been penny-wise, pound-foolish on these parts. Then this could have been someone else's crusade, not mine.

Last edited by austinlandroverbill; 07-26-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
umm you do realize Ebay is the 3rd party here right?
Point taken -- partly.

Technically, eBay manages/brokers auctions/transactions and hosts stores (and arbitrates the resolution of disputes, which Lucky8 dba LRPARTS has thus far refused to engage in).

LRPARTS actually operates the store and is the liable party, not eBay (that's the beauty of the eBay business model: zero liability), making LRPARTS the third party referred to in the email from Lucky8.

An ****, splitting hairs answer for sure, but one that I nonetheless believe is correct.

Last edited by austinlandroverbill; 07-26-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

"If" I had called you out as a lying thief you'd have known it Bill........

Also that's complete BS that only Bosch coil packs are worth a crap.... You're gonna judge that over one set of defective coils???? I have been around LR's since 1990 & back when the D2/P38 first came out with the Bosch configuration there was a heck of a lot of Bosch coil packs replaced under warranty! Were they all bad? Probably not, but LR said to replace wires, plugs, and coil packs on 99-02 D2/P38's with multiple misfire faults.

I've used plenty of aftermarket parts on LR's over the years. I have not had one set of generic coil packs (aka non Bosch) act up or fail on all the D2's I've worked on & repaired.

If 50.00 isn't anything to you then STOP complaining.... Like everyone has mentioned Lucky8 didn't make them.... You have the Ebay order confirmations, which should clearly list the return policy. Return the dead coil packs to Lucky8/LR-Parts (Ebay) and they'll refund you the 50.00 that means nothing to you.