Other All other Land Rover vehicles.

Anything good about LR Discovery 4?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything good about LR Discovery 4?

Anything good about the Discovery 4? Can anyone share some good experience with this car? Why/How does Land Rover manage to still sell Disco's/Disco 4 if it is such a bad car? I am asking because I think the car looks spectacular and I expect the performance at the same level but, I hear ALWAYS bad about it, yet I see a lot of Disco's on roads and off!!! Do Toyota's, Benz's, Jeeps, etc ever break? Is Disco the only car that has issues or some specific Disco's as happens with some Benz's, BMW's, Jeep's, etc.?

Last edited by David William; 10-29-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The LR4 is a very capable and complex machine, quite heavy, and needs to be maintained by well equipped indy shop or dealer; or very serious DIY. As for other vehicles failing, yep, my Benz's (Benzi ?) have always needed repairs, things break, etc. My boss's BMWs have emptied his wallet on a number of occasions. And there are plenty of these vehicles, and Jeeps, in the boneyards I frequent.

Most vehicles benefit from service intervals from the factory being met, or met in advance. IMHO, any lubrication fluid (oil, diff, transfer case, tranny) should be renewed at 50% of factory spec for longer life in severe conditions. But what is "severe"? Well, driving like a taxi cab (SWMBO can make how many stops and idle in the drive thru and the school pickup line, etc. and rugged individualist Dad can wear it out on the trails on the weekend, but also sit in grid lock traffic while running up the cell phone bill on the daily commute). In other words, our "normal" driving is close to "severe". Throw in reduced maintenance, or the "lifetime" coolant and "forever" transmission fluid and the grim reaper comes sooner. Does not matter what you drive. Police cars like Crown Vics are built like tanks and prized by cab companies, but police departments end up changing oil every thirty days for those cars run two shifts a day (all that idling and occassional burst of interceptor speed on the donut run).