Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Driver Cold, Passenger warm, then cold, then warm ::Sigh::

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C Driver Cold, Passenger warm, then cold, then warm ::Sigh::

Hi Guys,

Well, the dealership I bought this truck from told me and put into the contract that they would have the A/C issues identified in the PPI taken care of, but have no decided that it is too expensive to do. Don't worry, I am already working with my attorney to make that a very expensive mistake for them.

However, we now arrive at the issue of still needing the A/C fixed. Here is what I know so far.

Problem
A/C takes to long to cool off from the cold start
Does not blow as cold as it should
Passenger side vents (US) blow warmer than all others, including rear which is beyond me.
Occasionally the passenger side vents will blow the same temp.

Troubleshooting so far
1. Checked fuses associated with A/C
2. Verified condenser fan spinning
2a. I am not sure if there are multiple speeds for this fan?
3. Verified radiator fan spinning
4. Removed coolant control valve and hand checked operation
5. Verified heater works in all vents
6. Ran self-test on Nav screen
7. Had A/C shop recover and recharge system per spec

Guesses
1. I think the compressor is not doing enough of its job. Is there a switch or sensor that tells it how much to vary the stroke of the VDP?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks. I have not been successful in finding a workshop manual for this year/model. If anyone could point me in the correct direction that would be splendid.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Overlanding

Hi guys,

Update: ended up having to take the truck into a shop for diagnosis. They drained 3 oz of oil out of the system and recharged with 31 ounces of 134a. Unfortualtlety, it then still blew hot. They told me that the compressor needs to be replaced, and that if I wanted a warranty on the system then they could replace the condenser and expansion valve as well..

Total cost: 3800

Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Welcome to Rover world, where mechanics see you as a walking boat payment, in this case add in the alimony and children's college education. I would shop that around for a better price.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Overlanding

Hi Dave,

I would shop around some more, but I have already reached out to three different companies including LRD (Land Rover Dallas). Luckily for me, this particular repair will be paid for by the dealership. They put into the contract that they would have repairs done to the A/C and then just pumped it full of freon to try to cover the existing issue. They are now refusing to have the repairs done so we are taking them to court, idiots...

Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Overlanding

Well, she is all fixed up. Unfortunately, now I am throwing a P2406. Which is an Evap leak code? I am wondering if they could not have put a vacuum hose on when reassembling the truck, but I am not sure where to look and finding any useful information is not easy on these trucks.

I have already read about the DTML pump, but I am not inclined to start there because they were just working on the truck and I think that a loose or crack vacuum hose is a lot more likely.

If someone could point me in the right direction it sure would be appreciated.