Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relatively New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:38 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relatively New Owner

I bought a 2006 RR HSE last December and quickly found out that it doesn't matter what brand of vehicle is out there, Previous Owners suck. I am the third owner. It was originally sold in Bellevue WA, and the original owner kept immaculate care of it. He sold it in 2012, and that's when things went downhill for it. The second owner moved to Idaho and very rarely maintained it, save for oil changes. Right after I bought it, I noticed that it wouldn't start sometimes, no click, just silence. I took it to the Range Rover dealership in Boise and had them completely go through it. That's when I found out about the 2nd owner. In 2018, she skidded on ice and nailed a curb in such a way that the front driver strut would only align to 1° camber and the passenger strut would only align to -3° camber. She only had them replace the bags, which had also blown out.

Once the dealership was finished with their inspection, we made a list of important must-do items and a list of items that could wait. They replaced the ignition switch, which fixed the no-start issue. Then, one night after going to dinner with my family, it would turn over but wouldn't start. Another trip to the dealer found that the fuel pump was original and completely dead. In addition, the filter was also original and the previous owner had boogered up the wiring, in order to bypass Land Rover's security measures. New fuel pump, filter and wiring harness later, and it started and ran great. I then had the coolant hose from the thermostat to the heater core burst on me, while I was driving, so I had it towed to the dealership and told them to fix everything that needed fixing. They replaced the coolant hose, both front struts (because it would never align), ball joints, rear knuckle bushings. I also had them do the leaking transmission cooler line and ECU squealing fan (items on the "can wait" list).

The total invested so far, including purchase price, is about $15,000. The wife loves the way it drives although I think she still prefers her Cadillac XT5, which is fine with me. The only thing left to look at is the rear driver's side seat heater. The switch works fine, but it still doesn't heat. After troubleshooting per instructions I found online, there is a short somewhere. When I get the time, I'll have to take the seat cover off and inspect it closer.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 490 Likes on 425 Posts

On P38’s and D2’s the heated seat problem is almost always a broken wire in the seat cushion (people always seem to need to sit right in the driver’s seat for some reason &#128521.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:16 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
On P38’s and D2’s the heated seat problem is almost always a broken wire in the seat cushion (people always seem to need to sit right in the driver’s seat for some reason &#128521.
It's the rear driver's side seat, not the actual driver's seat itself. The other three seats work perfectly.