Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover P38 within.

Question on P-38 air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 05:14 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on P-38 air suspension

I acquired a 2001 P38 HSE 4.4 earlier this year and have a question on the air suspension. The car itself is beautiful, solid frame, Oslo Blue, tan interior, pretty much perfect, 9 out of 10, 1 owner car, 109K miles. When I bought it, the air suspension was shot along with some other items, but I rebuilt the entire system (and other stuff). New 3rd gen bags, shocks, dryer, rebuilt the valve block, new oem height sensors, pressure tested all lines and reprogramed the control module along with calibration the heights. Overall, the system works perfectly but after parking in standard height, after a few hours it drops down to access height. Not to the bump stops, but just down to access. Even after 3 days parked, just down to access. Is this a normal function per the control module? As much as love the car, it's coming to the time to sell it and move on to the next one. I don't want to sell it until its right if I need to look at this further.

Looking for a set of 5 fin rear tailight brush guards-outers have a cracked

Old 12-24-2022, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 492 Likes on 427 Posts

My suspicion is that it’s “selecting” it’s way slowly down. It tries to level itself every so often. I’ve removed my EAS Timer Relay and installed a standard 4pin (by memory, it may be a standard 5 pin) relay in its place. This keeps it from waking up continuously to level itself when parked. If (when) you need to use a scanner (eg Nanocom) on the EAS system you need to reinstall the Timer Relay. This is a common “fix” that a lot of us have done.
If this is the issue it’s not really a fault. The LR Engineers didn’t want these vehicles parked looking unlevel.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:36 PM
TReK

PS welcome here. Nice looking P38. And it’s a 4.6, not a 4.4, at least per the marking on the tailgate.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:54 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Harvlr
PS welcome here. Nice looking P38. And it’s a 4.6, not a 4.4, at least per the marking on the tailgate.
Thank you! My bad-wasn't thinking it out while writing, definitely a 4.6. I just finished a timing/vanos job on a L322 so had the 4.4 on my mind. I currently have 5 Land Rovers (subject to change at anytime up or down) . I buy them, fix them, drive them and eventual sell them to support the addiction. I'm finding that as a driver, I'm liking the P38 best.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:04 AM
TReK

I’ve also had as many as 5 LR’s in my driveway, but they’ve all been for me. Three drivers and two for parts. I definitely need to work on my P38 more than my Disco, but like you, it’s my favourite vehicle that I’ve ever had. I’ve had it for over 5 years now. The first year and a half was a lot of work, due at least in part to neglect of the PO.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:19 PM
4th Gear

Mine was in the same state, the PO was the original owner and had it maintained by the dealership (per the car fax) on a regular basis. A few years ago, the EAS must have failed and then i guess while driving back (after the EAS failed) he ripped the resonator, probably on a speed bump and the decided not to repair it. It sat for a couple of years in a garage, then was moved outside for a couple of months prior to my purchase. When I bought it, I moved in into my shop, assessed it and bought all (ok most of) the parts and then just did a 2-month (I have a day job) repair. Fairly simple but not cheap. As fore-mentioned, I replaced the entire EAS system, the exhaust and then the brakes-all hardlines with NiCu, soft lines, calipers, pads, ABS and even the caliper brackets. Spent a lot of time under that car! I tend to keep them for a while driving them, then sell them to recoup my money and maybe a little profit if I discount my time-then on to the next one. The P38 is probably the most challenging because parts are hard to find, electronics are obsolete, little to nothing left in stock at land rover, so most spares are British or NOS online dealers. I'm off this week so I should have the L322 done by midweek, then some interior detail so all 5 should be clean roadworthy vehicles. Then it's time to sell one or two and move on to the next one.