Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover P38 within.

Traction Failure , pointers please

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 08:08 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Failure , pointers please

Hi everyone, new here with a 2000 4.6 P38. It’s recently throwing a Traction Failure message and orange light (but not ABS light), I’ve got a healthy fully charged battery, changed the abs pump relay (just in case), it throws the error while stationary and sometimes when moving. Today I did a clean and added some air into one tyre which oddly got rid of the fault for a few miles but then returned. Tried to read codes with RWS software but nothing, and went to local garage who used their Hawkeye Pro and it could not pull any codes either, but still the Traction Failure fault… any pointers folks since I’m guessing this is an MOT failure and it’s due in 2 months!

Old 07-22-2021, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 490 Likes on 425 Posts

A low tyre does make sense as ABS sees a different speed between the wheels. I would have thought that RSW would read any fault that existed. Did you try clearing the faults even if none were listed? I’m assuming it still shows the light when you’re moving (it’s normal for the light to be on when you first drive away until you reach a certain speed, IIRC 7kph).

Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
A low tyre does make sense as ABS sees a different speed between the wheels. I would have thought that RSW would read any fault that existed. Did you try clearing the faults even if none were listed? I’m assuming it still shows the light when you’re moving (it’s normal for the light to be on when you first drive away until you reach a certain speed, IIRC 7kph).
Pleased to say since having put air in the tyre and after a few miles of driving the TF light finally went out and has stayed out, since no hard faults were recorded so made me think it wasn't anything serious, and it seems like it was just down to the low tyre pressure on one side, which makes sense. Wish i'd explored this sooner, but hey u live and learn.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:59 PM
TReK
Received 490 Likes on 425 Posts

Good to hear. It sounds like all is well.