Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doubts about extended warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doubts about extended warranty.

Hi guys, sorry if my doubt was answered in another thread, I read a lot of them and I can't find somebody with my doubt. I have an RRS 2016 L494 with a coolant leak and I need to fill the coolant tank one time per week. After 4 weeks doing that then it was a misfire on 4 cylinders and I've decided to go to a third party shop (According to google the best in my area). The mechanic told me that he couldn't find the leak, that probably it is something inside the engine like a head gasket or something similar (Sorry, I don't know much about cars). And that the repair probably would be really expensive, up to 10k... he suggested me to go the Land Rover Dealer and make them check the SUV for a better diagnostic of the issue.

I don't have an Extended Warranty, I know it cost about 4.5k. But I have 2 questions that maybe some of you with your experience may know the answer. The first one is when I go to the dealer to buy the extended warranty, would the check they SUV to see if everything is fine with it before they sell me the extended warranty? If they find the problem before me buying the warranty can they deny me to buy the extended warranty?

The second one is, let's suppose that I've already bought the extended warranty, I have to wait for a certain time after I bought it to go to the dealer and tell them about the coolant leak problem? I just want to make sure that I have to pay for anything else but the extended warranty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I would assume the Land Rover dealer would want to do an inspection of some sort on the truck before selling a warranty. Also if you have been to the dealer and quoted headgaskets that is likely in the network so they would know the condition is pre-existing

my 2 cents not experience in an endeavor like you are suggesting

Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 AM
4th Gear

What you are suggesting is insurance fraud and against the law. It’s also a major contributor to increased insurance rates. You bought the vehicle without a warranty; that’s on you. You absolutely should not buy a warranty knowing there’s a problem and then try to get that pre-existing condition covered by the warranty company.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 PM
4wd High

I just had the same problem with my 2016 Range Rover Sport (SUPERCHARGED). I replaced the water pump, but it wasn't the problem. It was the top hose crossover tubes that were leaking.

But, once you replaced the crossover tubes, you mind as well I replaced the followings:-Land Rover LR4 Range Rover & Sport Supercharged Water Pump 3.0/5.0L Genuine OEM (LR073711) $254

-Land Range Rover Sport Thermostat 3.0 V6 OEM Genuine (LR117568) $103.95

-Land Range Rover Sport Supercharged Thermostat Top Hose Crossover Tube OEM (LR092992 & LR090630) $120

-New Thermostat to Engine Tube Heater Hose For Land Rover Range Rover Sport ( $35)

-Land Rover Oil Cooler Outlet Pipe Seal O-ring (LR030593) $10

(some Water Pump Kit has this part already included)

-Land Range Rover Sport Bleed Plug Water Pump Thermostat Crossover Tube Pipe $12 (some Water Pump Kit has this part already included)

I also replaced the 2 Belts.

-LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 2014-ON 5.0L PRIMARY and SECONDARY BELTS

It's a 3 to 4 hour job. It will cost you around $500 Labor on top of all these OEM parts. Find a good mechanic. He or she will have to remove the Supercharger if you have one.
You can also search for video on LR4 and L494 Water Pump Replacement. You'll learn a lot. Hope this help.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Howdy there ... 10K for that repair ? look for another shop. For real !
Here are a few details on extended warranties on that specific model:
1 - CPO warranty - EXCLUDES rubber pipes, tubes, belts. If the damage is deemed to be from or caused by a failure from one of the rubber products, you are s.o.l.
You can not CPO a vehicle. Only a dealership, before it sells it to you.
2 - extended warranties - IF you go for that amount of money, and show up a week later with such a bill, more than likely you will be denied. They are not stupid. More ... in most cases they will want you to go to one of their authorized shops, and even there, they may send out an inspector ( you have a big ticket item ! ) and that may go either way, mostly not in your favor.
3 - very possible that if the dealer will sell you a warranty, they may deem even later, that it was a pre existing issue, and you may get denied.
Again, this is what they do for a living. Sorry to be you, honestly, but with what you pay for an extended warranty, what are the risks implied there, you may be better off to find a shop that is more reasonable (price wise ) and pay it. Take it as a (expensive) lesson learned, and move on...
Then again this is my 0.02 $ and it may mean nothing....
Best of luck to you ... !!

Last edited by Mechano2020; 07-22-2021 at 02:51 PM.