Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:36 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How did you get a hammer on it? I tried that from above and could not get sufficient swing to have any effect.
Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Same as mine. I got the O2 wrench from advance. Went under a got an 12 inch 1/2 or 3/4 pipe from home depot to extend the wrench handle and hammered it. Then pb blaster, then hammer it, repeat 3x. got it out.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
How did you get a hammer on it? I tried that from above and could not get sufficient swing to have any effect.
I did it from under. Small room but enough to swing. Its the passenger side. Mine, the cable was in the middle between heat shield and very hard to reach. I dont know if it can be done from above. It seems like the impact driver can do it better but i did use a lot of PB on this one.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

I just replaced all mine. They were originals and came off with the special socket fine. Well after pb blaster. If you managed to get an impact on it, and they still didn't come off, it's time to just drop the center section of the exhaust and get at it outside the vehicle.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Winching

I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the whole thing down yet. I don't have all the gaskets. They are not reusable correct?
Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit
I just replaced all mine. They were originals and came off with the special socket fine. Well after pb blaster. If you managed to get an impact on it, and they still didn't come off, it's time to just drop the center section of the exhaust and get at it outside the vehicle.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Buckeye I woke up at three this morning with a terrible thought. No worries, I got back to sleep. But that was about a video you sent me on your brake cleaner test. If you look at my video you will see some blue filter material covering the air conditioning intake at the bottom of the windshield. At 3 am I woke up thinking yours had no filter at all, which is common because the stock filter stuff turns to dust.

If that the case you can buy a universal hvac filter at lowes or home depot for peanuts, cut 1 inch strips, and it fits perfectly. That's the blue stuff on mine. There are little keepers placed every few inches that pull off, install filter, press keepers back in place. If you don't do that you get crap in your blower and your drains clog up, getting water all over the carpet.

Time for a nap.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Winching

I'm not real comfortable that you were thinking about me at 3 AM. thank you for the advice on that I will get some right quick. But first I might have a heart attack or stroke trying to get this O2 sensor off
Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Buckeye I woke up at three this morning with a terrible thought. No worries, I got back to sleep. But that was about a video you sent me on your brake cleaner test. If you look at my video you will see some blue filter material covering the air conditioning intake at the bottom of the windshield. At 3 am I woke up thinking yours had no filter at all, which is common because the stock filter stuff turns to dust.

If that the case you can buy a universal hvac filter at lowes or home depot for peanuts, cut 1 inch strips, and it fits perfectly. That's the blue stuff on mine. There are little keepers placed every few inches that pull off, install filter, press keepers back in place. If you don't do that you get crap in your blower and your drains clog up, getting water all over the carpet.

Time for a nap.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I'm not real comfortable that you were thinking about me at 3 AM. thank you for the advice on that I will get some right quick. But first I might have a heart attack or stroke trying to get this O2 sensor off
I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOUR ROVER... though I realize that might not make it any better.

If worse comes to worse, you can drop the exhaust and put a plumber's wrench on it. I've done that on parts rover. At that point, anger gives you extra strength.

I just did a search and people advised driving it around to get the exhaust as hot as possible then trying with a wrench. I'd end up in the hospital with burns all over my body if I did that.

Here is the filter I was thinking about. Chubbs put me on that. For 6 bucks you basically have a lifetime supply.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Winching

Dropping the exhaust scares me to death. Every time I have touched something on my exhaust it has always lead to bigger and worse problems
Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOUR ROVER... though I realize that might not make it any better.

If worse comes to worse, you can drop the exhaust and put a plumber's wrench on it. I've done that on parts rover. At that point, anger gives you extra strength.

I just did a search and people advised driving it around to get the exhaust as hot as possible then trying with a wrench. I'd end up in the hospital with burns all over my body if I did that.

Here is the filter I was thinking about. Chubbs put me on that. For 6 bucks you basically have a lifetime supply.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Same here. The exhaust bolts turn to cheese. The threads strip the studs break. It is hot. The gaskets are single use. It is all badness. I totally understand.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Winching

Oh Lord baby Jesus this is killing me. I heat for five then hit it with the impact, then heat for five then impact. Oh and spray with PB or Liquid wrench (usually the one that have not thrown as far from the last time I sprayed)

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII