LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken axle shaft = Dead in the water!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Do you run the lift full-time?
This is what I want to know

Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
This is what I want to know
Yep i'd occasionally lower it for various reasons but i'd say the lift was minimal @ around 2" which i'd say is standard across the LR3 spectrum.

I get the increase in angle will cause more wear but that's not really the point.

How much additional wear and on which side are they regularly failing because they are/even happened to land rover during a race.

I even put a used shaft from a range rover sport to get me home and upon inspection after the 400 mile trip home is failing as well(in the center joint).

What can be done to prevent it?

IMO this is a big deal especially for people like me who bought the LR3 to go overlanding across the country.

This is a tough well engineered truck and not many things will just leave you stranded. If the cage that holds those ***** fails(#7) the gear part of the axle(pictured as #8) will pull from the hub and even in rock crawl mode you will not be moving or in my case be able to park on an uphill mountain.

IMO the "solution" is to check for wear behind the boot and lube the ***** with grease pictured here pictured as number 6(where mine failed) and an overall awareness of the problem.

Last edited by MrWesson; 09-27-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Let's see what your poll results say about this being a common issue. Seems like something strange going on here, specific to your LR3. Especially if it started wearing out a new shaft in 400M.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Mudding

Let's see what your poll results say about this being a common issue. Seems like something strange going on here, specific to your LR3. Especially if it started wearing out a new shaft in 400M.
It didn't wear out a new shaft to be very clear.

The shaft came from a USED Range Rover Sport with 120k miles(also points to common because what are the odds) and already had major play upon installation. Keep in mind I was 6-7hrs from home and this ordeal cost me 1 tow, $100 cab ride, 2 rental cars(one for wife home/me to stay), parts/labor, and 2 nights in a hotel... I was ready to go home even if the shaft wasn't right.

I now have a new one on the way to be installed and the truck is on jackstands getting a suspension overhaul.

Common? I don't know.

I can find 4-5 threads on the subject pretty easily.

That poll is hardly accurate given that 2 people have responded on someone elses thread on Expedition portal about how it happened to them. I sent them a link but so far i'm the only vote. That and someone in this thread mentioned it happening to them further back.

Last edited by MrWesson; 09-28-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy

I can understand your angst, but I don't think carrying extra axles is the solution. Get your suspension ship-shape, put in a new axle, and I think you'll be good to go. It just doesn't seem to be something I've heard much about over the past 11 years.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I can understand your angst, but I don't think carrying extra axles is the solution. Get your suspension ship-shape, put in a new axle, and I think you'll be good to go. It just doesn't seem to be something I've heard much about over the past 11 years.
it could be that these trucks are just now getting to that failure time... Kind of like the transmissions.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay, but that would maintain my point: If you get new axles you know they are good for 100k Miles+....so you don't need to carry around spares.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Mudding

Okay, but that would maintain my point: If you get new axles you know they are good for 100k Miles+....so you don't need to carry around spares.
So you're on your way out to replace yours @ 100k right?

Would you like to know which mileage they are prone to failure and the common signs?

Would you like to know what to look for and if you can prolong your stock shaft as long as possible?

Data and information is important even if its not common the failure is debilitating and the way some LR3's are being used(like mine) that could be life and death in a worst case scenario.

Isn't that is what this website is for. Writing it off as "i've never heard it, you're overreacting" is a bit counter productive.

Not trying to step on your toes or disrespect you. I've gotten excellent advice from you personally and you're a veteran of this forum.. I know where you are coming from.

I wish I could find the thread where they sourced a sponsored Land Rover Event where a Discovery 3 broke a front axle shaft, Land rover attempted a field fix and had to be towed from the event(race I believe). But I found it while troubleshooting my LR3 on the spot/phone.

Carry a spare? I dunno if I could make the repair on the trail to begin with. It involves pulling the Tie rod and ball joint.

My advice to everyone out there with 6 figure mileage on their LR3's is to check the front passenger side shaft by giving it a good shake and rotating it feeling for something out of place.

Then.. Pull boots, grease everything, check for excessive wear and don't sweat it..(i'd do this @ any mileage).

Old 09-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Camel Trophy

I may have misread your post initially. I didn't mean to imply that you were overreacting or that if it's not common we should not be concerned. I only meant to say that carrying spares is probably not the right course of action.

I think you raise good points about being able to identify symptoms of pending failure, and taking preventative steps to make sure shafts are replaced before they fail in the field.

I will probably have my shaft inspected (hahahaha) next time I'm in for service. I am definitely one who performs maintenance so that I avoid failures. Hell I did a rear drive shaft last year just because. Same with PCV Valve, some RF Capacitors, an airshock...the list goes on. I call them "LR3 Spa Days" at the Dealer.

PS - No abran, I'm not gonna throw on a new tranny at the next Spa Day just because!!!....maybe a mech sleeve though.

Last edited by houm_wa; 09-28-2016 at 05:20 PM.