Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

In brief......My thermostat is STICKING.........I'll be swapping along with a fluid change I have yet to do.........That's the long of the short....

Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Call me analog man, I'm kool with that over 1979 computer tech.......

Here's the deal over '2' low 90's days.....

Late afternoons.......mechanical gauge read 125 degrees.......'both' days, under the hood, in direct sun.....like the cabin, expect higher temps but I wasn't expecting this......it was just sitting in the sun, that's why you don't leave your weasel under the hood......Blew my mind!

I actually LOST heat by driving by 7 degrees, factory gauge held steady thru-out this.......little above 1/2, but normal by LR standards....

8 miles out, twice in two days..........the mechanical gauge lowered by 7 degree's by new air flow.........factory gauge....FLAT....

Then..........BOOM! My lazy thermostat opened.........I need a new thermostat.........proof positive, saving the motor by analog.......stick that in your ob2 and light it twice........after all......Lucas was a pot head & dropped blotter.......

Call me bad, but the results are good over your computed results that would not catch this kind of crap off the block.....the analog gage sold me a new thermo'......none of the computer crap showed me what the analog gage showed..............One small step for man, one step misguided for those who believe in..........what they previously thought???? Dunno........

No secret that the factory gauge is absolute crap. But the OBD computer will have the exact temp. That's why everyone preaches to use the Ultragauge. Analog is great. For sure. A real temp gauge like yours vs the factory junk isn't even a comparison. But that doesn't mean the obd information isn't there.

7 degree drop is pretty damn amazing. Well done.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Exactly. I have an analog gauge in my D1 simply because I don't want to have to start the Torque app on my phone every time I hop in the truck. That said, my analog actually reads higher than my OBDII temp. Meanwhile the stock gauge is just there chillin' at the halfway mark.
Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
No secret that the factory gauge is absolute crap. But the OBD computer will have the exact temp. That's why everyone preaches to use the Ultragauge. Analog is great. For sure. A real temp gauge like yours vs the factory junk isn't even a comparison. But that doesn't mean the obd information isn't there.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1

I have an Ultragauge, I keep it in my glove box.
Every time I plug it in I get the same reading..............
"SPEND MORE MONEY...."
That's all it says, like I told 'Scouts way back when I got it, LR should supply these things free!
On a side note, it wouldn't have indicated I have a bad thermostat the way the analog gauge did....
Anywhooo.........160/180/195 is what I see out there, 160 seems a bit low so what's the most common? 180ish....? Looking at the Peak Global for fluid after some searching......everything sound about right before I spend my sweat shop income??.....

Fish.......You must have one fancy phone, I don't even carry a cell phone..

Old 10-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

With this weather swing I'm getting really, really itchy to wrap some steel around this Rova'......Need to find some 'personal' time as the shop is swamped and I'm over extended......ugg.

On a side note, did 'Scouts join a Saturn forum some where?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Aww you two are bonding

I hear you on the weather shift, it's been much nicer here in Georgia and I'm getting excited to work on the Rover and MG, oh and move again maybe...

Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ready to move myself.

Yup, digging the weather, picked up new coolant and geo thermal flow reduction meter yesterday, of course NAPA only had the 190* on hand, I'll be drilling the 1/8" hole in it for good measure.

Now I just need to start bidding on 'spare time' over on ebay............

Old 10-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

'THIS ISN'T THE DRIVE IN'...exclaimed Edna..

Get yourself some 'Summer Vibes' before the snow starts flying!!!

Giddy up!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
.....On a side note, did 'Scouts join a Saturn forum some where?
Three of em to be exact. Way more active than this forum. As soon as I can find or get a dupe title from Georgia the Rover is gone. Actively looking for a new career, working on sons new digs and I screwed up a knee. Since Labor Day I have worked on the smalls with the Saturn. Exhaust, injectors, head liner, suspension, alarm, rattles etc. 29 mpg average on regular and the more I drive the better it gets. It gets damn cold and wet up here - miserable - so trying to get everything buttoned down before time runs out.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

You leaving us IH?

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-