Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Bet you still didn't try swapping coil packs and wires around. I guess if you're paying someone to get their hands dirty its more cost effective to just have them chuck new parts at it and hope that gets it.
The problem with what you're doing is you're going to replace both the coil packs and the wires at the same time. If your problem is solves you STILL never found the culprit. You narrowed it down but you'll never actually know for sure and in the end you still haven't learned anything.
Why didn't you go with some Kingsbourne wires??

Originally Posted by TRIARII
We have spent days and $$$ diagnosing these pending misfire codes. No avail. Today those pending misfire codes turned into full fledged check engine codes. There definitely is a problem somewhere in the system. Still no flashing cel or glowing cats though.

I ordered a set of cheap Duralast Gold ignition wires to replace the magnecore wires and a pair of BOSCH coils to replace the Allmakes4x4 coils. Should get them on the 4th. The wires come with lifetime warranty and the coils a 2 year warranty.

It would cost me an upwards of $2,000 in labor to have my mechanic perform all the checks suggested by Turner. If the wires and coils don't fix the problem Ill give Don the go ahead to pull the engine and inspect everything. I will also have him perform compression test on the block. Hopefully it won't come to that.

One of Don's good friends went through 2 bad sets of Magnecor wires before finally switching over to a different manufacturer wires.... Solved his misfire problem. Perhaps there is a quality control issue at Magnecore...

Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Bet you still didn't try swapping coil packs and wires around. I guess if you're paying someone to get their hands dirty its more cost effective to just have them chuck new parts at it and hope that gets it.
The problem with what you're doing is you're going to replace both the coil packs and the wires at the same time. If your problem is solves you STILL never found the culprit. You narrowed it down but you'll never actually know for sure and in the end you still haven't learned anything.
Why didn't you go with some Kingsbourne wires??
This truck is my daily driver and Im doing the work myself, outside in cold ****ty weather. Wires are a bitch to change on the D2. Gonna remove the upper intake to get better access to coils. Weather your doing the wires or the coils the intake needs to be removed.... I really dont have time or patience to do it twice so Im going to say **** it and replace both wires and coils while intake is off. The Duralast Gold wires are cheap and the BOSCH coils are much cheaper than the coils sold by Rovers North so it really makes no difference to me which component is bad, if my solution fixes the misfire issue than we will know with certainty that it was eithet the allmakes4x4 coils or the magnecore wires.

If I had the luxury of a garage and multiple vehicles then Id take the time to replace one component at a time.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with you on this one Julian. Just hang on to the stuff that you pull off and put it in your kit of "get you home" spares.

while you've been chasing misfires my D2 has been down for front cover gasket, oil pump, timing chain and head gaskets. The difference is, like you already mentioned, I have the luxury of pulling it apart while I daily drive another Rover.

In a similar situation, I'd most likely also change wires, plugs and coil pack given the pain of pulling everything off to do it outside in the cold. I just did all 3 on the new-to-me 97 D1 yesterday. Without all the extra garbage on top of the engine, it only took me a ccouple of hours to get everything replaced as part of baseline game the truck. GEMS is so much easier to work on...

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 PM
TReK
Default Fingers crossed

Ordered the ignition coils and wires yesterday, was told to expect them on the 4th - they arrived this morning! Right out of the box the Duralast Gold wires look like they were specifically designed with the D2 in mind. Firstly each wire is numbered so you know to which cylinder each wire goes! For two the ends that connect to the coils are shorter than the Magnecore wires, which means that you can connect them firmly and effortlessly to the coil pack while the pack is out then carefully wiggle the coil pack with wires already connected, into its appropriate position behind the upper intake. This is literally impossible with the Magnecore wires because the ends are taller and will not be able to clear the bulkhead while trying to position coil pack into position. Connecting the wires to the coils while the coil pack is mounted behind the intake is a bitch of a job, especially for the bottom row.... So kudos to the designer who made these wires!

No comment about the new BOSCH coils as they look about the same as the Allmakes4x4 coils I pulled. But least these higher end coils offer peace of mind.

So far no codes but Im not convinced just yet. Will update in afew days. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Fingers crossed for you. If anyone deserves no codes, it's you!

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

You didn't get your valve covers powder coated when the engine was out? I just had my exhaust headers and the valve covers done while the heads were off.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:18 PM
TReK
Angry

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
You didn't get your valve covers powder coated when the engine was out? I just had my exhaust headers and the valve covers done while the heads were off.
My valve covers were painted, dont think they were powdercoated. This truck is a ****ing lemon. No codes all of yesterday nor most of the day today. Then as the sun begins to set these cursed codes return. P0300, P0308, P0303, P0306, P0305. Pretty much every ****ing cylinder is misfiring or at least according to the pending codes.

So we know for a fact that the issue is not any of the following components:
- maf sensor is good
- spark plugs are good
- ignition wires are good
- ignition coils are good
- fuel injectors are good

My options as I see them:
- do what everyone else does and simply ignore the misfire codes
- spend another $2,000+ in labor to have the engine pulled and all Turners suggestions performed.
- Burn the truck, pack my **** and head to AK by plane and start over with another vehicle.

PS: The truck is worth nothing to anyone else and theres no point on selling it to anyone because everyone is cheap ripoff jerks and Ill never get back half of what I put into this build. All donor trucks in my area are rusted out so swapping over parts is a no go. I dont have a shop or the means to aquire a rust free donor truck from elsewhere in the country, have it shipped here then pay a mechanic to swap over ****. Besides even if I swapped over the engine into a donor truck Id still be haunted by stupid misfire codes.

Feeling at end of my wits. Logic says if you replace ignition system componets that cause misfires then misfires go away, there is no logic in this truck. Dont know who to blame. Maybe myself. Maybe my truck. Maybe my mechanic. Maybe Turner engineering. Without spending the $2k I will never get to the bottom of this. The engine in this vehicle is so simple and oldschool tech compared to modern day computer managed engines.... Should not be this impossible to resolve misfire codes.

Last edited by TRIARII; 01-01-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Clogged injectors?
run 1/2 can of sea foam per tank for 2 tanks.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by abran
Clogged injectors?
run 1/2 can of sea foam per tank for 2 tanks.
Replaced injectors...

Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

All 4 coil pack bolts on?

all ground cables secure? Braided cable at driver side rear head secure?

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build