Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
The seems right for a brand new cooling system running the OE thermostat on the 4.0 engine.

My '04 with the 4.6 would regularly get to 210 at idle with the 180 degree genuine TD5 thermostat.

I'm intrigued by your build. Does your dog guard fold down? After having the rear window on my D2 broken and stuff stolen 2 years ago, i'm going to put the window guards and dog guard in to protect the fridge and my other expensive items.
I'm running the 180 OEM gray t-stat now, whereas before I was running the stock. So I was expecting to see temps lower than before.. I guess I'll let her break-in and re-evaluate.. I have top hats now, so am not concerned about 210.

The dog guard is supposed to be somewhat easily removable (ball joints at the top, and thumb screws on the bottom. Not foldable. I haven't fitted mine yet, because I gutted all the trim, and the dog guard mounts depend on those being there... so I have to work out something custom.

My window guards are bolted in, so they are somewhat strong in the event of a break-in, but if you have the factory trim, they are fitted using plastic rivets, so a good kick and they'd be gone. They're more for load protection, and looks

Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Safelite came today to replace the windshield. I didn't inspect before he left, so to my horror I found both clips broken on the wiper cowl, clips left on the ground, clip broken off the driver side pillar so now it wobbles, crack in wiper cowl, and the rubber seal is about 1/4" away from the glass all around. I can understand messing up, but to leave the broken clips all over the ground and not mention anything is a real ******* move. And who knows if the water seal is good, yet to find out.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Safelite replaced mine about two weeks ago. I removed and replaced all the cowlings myself since everything I had read indicated that these are fragile parts. I hung around while they did the job so I could monitor things, and the guy even asked me to help him get the seal mounted along the top edge of the glass. No leaks. Hope yours works out okay.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

At an indie shop getting the thermostat replaced with a gray TD5 model. Had the thermostat replaced a year and a half ago by another indie shop that's now out of business with a supposedly "low-temp" thermo. Had no way of checking temps until recently with my Nanocom to find it reporting a normal temp range of 218F-221F. I am surprised my head gaskets haven't given up the ghost in that time. So, hopefully once the shop is done I'll see more reasonable temperatures.

Update: New t-stat is in. In the 20 miles of around town and freeway driving with a heavier-than-usual foot, I did not see temps rise above 195F per my Nanocom. Generally stayed between 183-190F. Very happy.

Last edited by Gripen; 03-28-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Did the option b on the 3 amigo's and replaced the master cylinder resivoir and seals to fix that lead and cleaned up the engine bay some. Next up is flushing the power steering

Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Did the option b on the 3 amigo's and replaced the master cylinder reservoir and seals to fix that lead and cleaned up the engine bay some. Next up is flushing the power steering
I'm digging the black crinkle finish on the intake manifold, cam covers and accessory mount.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Gripen
I'm digging the black crinkle finish on the intake manifold, cam covers and accessory mount.
had a buddy do it all powdercoated when I redid the top end. And had all the heat shields and manifolds and y pipe ceramic coated to help reduce some heat

Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Flux capacitor installed.
jeff I'm loving that set up, pm me with the info on what you did if you don't mind

Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks. Maybe I'll put up a build thread at some point. There was quite a bit involved in this project... the trim piece is made out of aluminum sheet and angle. I must have made at least 200 trips from the garage to car to test fit, trim, fit, trim. It's bolted into the body with rivet nuts (2 on rear pillar, 2 below window, 1 on seatbelt bracket)
Painted and used rubber trim to hide my crimes
Jigsaw, aircraft snips, nibbler, drill, hacksaw

The electrical panel is a Blue Sea 360 Panel.
Solar MPPT controller w/ remote monitor
4 circuit push button circuits for lights (haven't installed these yet)
8 circuit breaker for solar, batt charger, usb, anderson PP, cig lighters, etc
switch to turn it all on or off
AC power fed from the inverter
extension cord plugin that charges the battery, and switches AC loads from the inverter to plugin

Dual odysseys up front, linked together with a Blue Sea ML-ACR. The starter batt is the only thing hooked up to one of the batteries, so in the event the other battery gets low (stereo, fridge, etc) it automatically detaches from the starter battery so the truck will always start. When the alternator fires up, the batteries both get linked so they are both charged.

Taking the rover on a trip with a bud down the coast this weekend! To Eugene-ish, maybe as far as northern cal, and camping along the way.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-28-2017 at 11:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Looks sharp as hell man

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?