Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Wonder how she'll run for the beer run later.........

Checked on my neighbors cabin on the ridge last weekend, he has the easy switch backs to get to the top......couldn't pass up checking on the upper gate.

Our house is about 1,200 feet or so below me here......

Heat.......Last week the school system was actually requesting parents to pick up our kids to keep them out of the hot buses.....So, we did.....found myself almost over heating getting ice cream at DQ........
Thinking about fabbing up some hood vents, I really like the old Datsun 240Z ones but if you can find them, they're usually 2 bills and damaged.....older Grand Prix ones are nice too, but just as hard to find........think I'm going to take a stab at this in those styles.......small bench project, should be fun!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That is cool, at least you get to play with yours....... I have to wait to get buried in this winter to go play. I've been taken it easy with Ms. Prissy Pants until I can get her under the knife for some needed tucks. I'm working on the Plastic Fantastic this weekend..... finally. Like you the heat here has been way over the top, work has kicked my butt this year with all the heat generated inside let alone what Ma Nature unleashed.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ms. Prissy Pants.........Bwaahaaaahaaaaaaaa
Are they all female?..

That heats been nuts, and you don't really recover from it, seems like you just wear down faster every day.....maybe it's age, dunno....

The closest mall is 1.5 hours away so ya.......I'm forced to play on the ridge line....

Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes they are, like sitting on a rusty nail, eventually you'll get lockjaw. Defeated, you'll wonder why you hunkered down with such a pita and eventually quit talking.....even to yourself (cuz they don't listen to you anyways)(multiple personality disorder begins at this stage). One young girl came over to me this week while I was yak'n with a buddy who had just repaired a machine, she asked me if I was there to break something? I told her; "Why yes and I brought a saddle that should fit you nicely.... ." Wouldn't you know her eyes lit up and she smiled a huge grin? I'll never figure em out.......

The heat has sucked all the give a schit out of me, old age has given me one heckuva case of tendonitis in a couple of joints from repetitive work. I wrench allot at work and lift way too much heavy crap. I was wrestling with a 25' 2 1/2" hose covered in concentrated juice that had squirted out of it's strapping, like trying to hold an anaconda, full of juice that weights more than I do. I was on the top wrung of a 10' folding ladder while extending over a running piece of equipment trying to squirt the thing back into it's straps and get at least one tightened. Very exciting work.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'd quote you but why bother.......they are in fact all female...

Beer run went well, unfortunately.....I don't drink beer...

But, I do cut a lot of grass....

Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy

I did manage to make the Plastic Fantastic come alive today, dead for over a year. It actually runs....... I'm so excited I could go to bed.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

CONGRATS!!

I myself built them hood louvers I've been speaking of.....

Made the frames from 1/2x1/2" angle....

Filled it with 1/8x3/4" strip steel.....(almost 7' worth)

Position is going to be in the front corners of the raised section of the hood,
the radius should mimic the hoods radius in that area.

Giving them a black textured finish, need to score some stainless hardware tomorrow.......GIDDY UP!

Only thing better would have been having my TIG welded still to flow the louver welds, ended up tacking the front, welding the back sides....

Last edited by Detoured Discovey; 09-04-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks! Put it on the road for it's inaugural tonight...... Took all day (mostly on my back) to get er buttoned up, lots of work to get it roadworthy. Tonight was the first time I've driven it, ever! It came to the house on a flatbed. For such a small skate it has a very smooth ride, motor is definitely a four banger but it's got some poop.

Those are gonna look mighty cool(ing)! Can't wait to see them installed, be a one of a kind.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Wow...I didn't know it never ran.
It's good to have a run around 4 banger, that's all our Honda is.....we get some serious gas mileage out of it.

I jigged the parts as I went incase I wanted to reproduce, but having to hand fit each louver was too time consuming.....too much time involved building that style for production.
If there was any interest, I could do them in a flat style, laser cut...those would be any 'easy' install.......also have a friend in the plastic business, he may be able to reproduce in a style intended for Rovers, non generic....

Dunno, let's see if I can get these installed later today....

Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I have thought about hood vents but then I remember the times I had to climb out on the hood and lay on the hood to get the winch cable out

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-