Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

Bug's Eye View

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

SS, I would just love that as a new 'toy' it's on my birthday list already now. What size quad copter do you need with a videocam and how hard is it to fly them?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
SS, I would just love that as a new 'toy' it's on my birthday list already now. What size quad copter do you need with a videocam and how hard is it to fly them?
All helicopters are inherently hard to fly, but Quad Copters have come a long way to making it much easier.

The AR Drone, (the one used here) is probably one of the easier ones to fly if you've never tried one before. It also has the Video Cameras (2) included in the Copter. It does use an Apple/Android Phone or Tablet to fly it though, so you need to add that cost into your calculations.

There are now many other Quad Copters that include the Video Camera into the device. My Drone is probably about 18" across. They now have ones WITH cameras that are about 10" across.

I suggest you go to YouTube and search Blade, AR Drone, QuadCopter, etc...

Here is another version.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 AM

Thanks SuperSport, unfortunately I'm a total sucker for hi-tech toys, salesman dream for these gadgets. I have been doing some research on the web and there are a few 'cheapo' quadcopter's on the market that include cameras but but with their small batteries they only fly for between 8 to 12 minutes. I was going to buy a 'cheapo' quadcopter to see how I get on with it (and crash it) and then if all goes well and I likey, move on up to something better and a bit more exotic. Thanks for your help, if I get s%$t from the wife I'll tell her it's all the fault of SuperSport he encouraged me, but you can't rant off at at him, 'cos, he lives in the US.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Pro Wrench

...if I get s%$t from the wife I'll tell her it's all the fault of SuperSport he encouraged me, but you can't rant off at at him, 'cos, he lives in the US.
Hahaha... That works, and won't be the first time I've gotten a friend into trouble with the wife!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Hahaha... That works, and won't be the first time I've gotten a friend into trouble with the wife!
SS, ordered the drone + onboard camera but only a cheapo to start with. Unfortunately you're probably in the 'brown and smelly' here 'cos the wife saw your vid.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench

SS, ordered the drone + onboard camera but only a cheapo to start with. Unfortunately you're probably in the 'brown and smelly' here 'cos the wife saw your vid.
Hahaha! Congratulations on your purchase. They are loads of fun. I take it to the park and record the grand kids on the Playground. To the beach, River, Wheeling, etc... If you sell Real Estate, it's an invaluable tool. Although, the Video Quality is not very good for that, but for a few more dollars, you can add a GoPro camera that takes Awesome Video.

PS: MY wife thinks it's COOL! Hopefully, you will find something she likes to use it for too.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench

Here, I took my Dog to the Ballfield:

And here I am at Moon Rock in Nevada Desert (It was SUPER windy, so flying was a real challeng. Didn't really work at times) This video was taken using some Custom Software that takes very low resolution, but gives the HID:

And, THIS is why we were at Moon Rock:

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM

Great vids SS. Like the antics at Moon Rock, hope no-one got hurt . You need big gonads for that lark or a lot of nectar first . It'll take me some time to get used to the drone when I get it but I'll post some vids when it's not buried in the ground

Your first vid gave me an idea, we've got a wild ferule cat (I think) keeps coming around fighting with our moggy and she gets real upset, so, I'll give it a chase around with the drone and maybe it'll get the message. My French neighbour said shoot it but I don't shoot animals and it might just belong to someone over the hill here.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Great vids SS. Like the antics at Moon Rock, hope no-one got hurt . You need big gonads for that lark or a lot of nectar first . It'll take me some time to get used to the drone when I get it but I'll post some vids when it's not buried in the ground

Your first vid gave me an idea, we've got a wild ferule cat (I think) keeps coming around fighting with our moggy and she gets real upset, so, I'll give it a chase around with the drone and maybe it'll get the message. My French neighbour said shoot it but I don't shoot animals and it might just belong to someone over the hill here.
Yeah, I don't like shooting them either, but they can sure be a nuisance. Also, keep in mind, Dogs, Cats, and even Birds like to attack these. I also fly Airplanes and Heli's, and I've had hawks attack my planes before. It sucks, because if they hit it hard enough, it's done.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yep. I am getting the ar one also. I do remember the last fun tech, I got. it was the little roomba robot vacuum. dogs had no problem with it, the day we got it. the first day we left them home alone with it............it looked like the battlefield scene in terminator.

Quick Reply: Bug's Eye View