Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Falken AT3W

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Falken AT3W

I got the truck (06 L322 Supercharged) on 10/28 and had these installed before I picked it up so don't have much to compare it to but I've been around the block a few times with SUV tires and have 1200 miles on them now so...

These are quiet on the road, probably due to not being terribly deep channeled knobbies and not having long open channels to the outside edge. It doesn't hurt that they are a soft compound to achieve the 3 peaks winter rating. I think that also helps them in the wet, they are exceptionally competent on wet roads and experience very little deflection in deeper puddles at open road speeds. The little dirt I've seen they've been predictable and a non issue, I have high hopes that they'll be competent in a variety of off road conditions. Handling is always important and I've found that they may be a little soft for a 3 ton truck as they don't do well up front until they're at 42psi but my expectations may be a little high for a winter rated AT tire They are stable at speed and up to about 80mph they seem to be just fine, maybe lacking the directional stability that the Pirelli Scorpions have but better than the General or Cooper AT's would be, I haven't been faster than that yet or have experience with other tires on this truck so my reference point is muddy. Snow is yet to be determined but on cold pavement they're confidence inspiring.

All in all so far I'm happy and would consider them a worthy contender especially at the price. Will the shallow tread depth and soft compound affect how quickly they wear? We'll see, they are rated for high miles. I'll update the thread as I get the front end steering components dialed in so I can give them a good high speed run and then wait for some wintry weather to put them to that test.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size are you running?

Old 02-25-2021, 07:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SuspensionFault
What size are you running?
Stock size, 255/50/20. If I were to do it again I'd go wider. I've been beat down over the last few months and haven't been able to do some of the work that needs to be done on the truck so I still haven't gotten that high speed run done but have had it up to ~85 and it's rock solid. We've had over 4 feet of snow this month where I live and these tires have proven themselves to be more than just a worthy contender.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Have you tried these out in any sort of mud yet planning to get a set for my disco 5

Old 03-29-2022, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
Have you tried these out in any sort of mud yet planning to get a set for my disco 5
Other than parking lot work after skiing, no I haven't Some of what I've seen leads me to believe they'll be as good or better than most other AT tires and better than a lot due to the aggressive tread at the sidewall transition area.