LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amber Pad Wear Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Amber Pad Wear Warning Light

2007 LR3 with the pad wear warning light "ON" and have used my IIDTool to remove that option from service, pads are not worn and the wiring is new, but the light is still on. Anyone know if this is an instrument panel problem? As I understand it there is no current flowing when normal but the circuit grounds and the instrument panel amber lights when the contacts wear down at the rotor...

Pad wear indicator on and engine running

IIDTool Instrument Cluster

if the pads get too close to replacement time. Any ideas are welcome...

Last edited by enb54; 09-15-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Just because you can change a setting, does not mean it will function that way. I am not sure it can be disabled for sure because I believe, like the oil pressure sensor, it's direct to cluster. No computer sits between so it is more like an old fashioned dummy light than anything. So the cluster itself can see the "fault" and give a message, but no faults stored in the ECU. FYI, the way the sensors work is the front and rear are in series and current does flow through them. When a sensor is worn the circuit goes open and that triggers the light. In fact, if you look at the wiring diagram its from cluster through each sensor then to ground. What I have noticed though it because the sensors are part of a simple circuit, they can sometimes cut in and out as they ground out on the rotor and the light may go out during braking. I will also add that the pad wear indicator is a backup to the parking brake system. If you have disabled the parking brake in any way, the brake pad wear light will always be on even with a known good sensor set in the pads.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I have ruminated over this for some time and it can certainly work the opposite of what I thought, current flowing and open instead of a ground. The thing is, should I open up the instrument cluster to try and fix it or am I better off just replacing? I'm thinking fixing might be easier and cheaper but then again I'm not sure of what's in the cluster and can't seem to find any internal diagrams...???

Old 09-15-2022, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

You won't find diagrams. The cluster was made by a third party. Its just a component, like any of the computers. I would honestly check the wiring first before diving into the cluster. That is find each extreme end, one being at the cluster the other the ground. I would think disconnect the ground may be easiest then check continuity - you will need some wire to help no doubt. I dont have the ground location though.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Dakota,
I'll try to do some more hunting, not really wanting to pull out the dash, I do have lots of electronic test equipment but was hoping for a poor connection (?), if I get some time I'll rip out the steering wheel and dash, just a bunch of pooo-pooo for that. I think you know exactly what I mean...

Old 09-16-2022, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
You won't find diagrams. The cluster was made by a third party. Its just a component, like any of the computers. I would honestly check the wiring first before diving into the cluster. That is find each extreme end, one being at the cluster the other the ground. I would think disconnect the ground may be easiest then check continuity - you will need some wire to help no doubt. I dont have the ground location though.
Hello,

Sorry to pollute this threat, DakotaTravler do you see the private message I send to you about satnav screen ?

Regards,
Math

Old 09-16-2022, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Okay, did a quick check today and see the ground through the rear wheel side of the harness, looks like I'll have to get a bit more creative...