Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 09:28 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Electronically deployable tow bar? What could possibly go wrong.
Looks like its only available in the UK.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Electronically deployable tow bar? What could possibly go wrong.
Yeah, what if the reason you need towed is because your electrical system is fritzed? Naw, what are the chances of that?

Old 02-27-2021, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Moretti
I have an HSE order in.

2021 base HSE price was $71,600 with the 2022 HSE at $72,500 ($900 increase).

The 2022 changes for the HSE has standardized the meridian surround sound system ($450 upgrade in the 2021s) and it lowered the cost of Premium Metallic paint to $1,050 from $1,750. They removed the clearsight mirror, which is $450 and the air suspension which is $1600.

So $1150 saved from the sound system and paint, but $2050 extra when losing previous standards of the clear sight and air suspension. That equals out to a $900 additional expense and when combined with the $900 increase of the base HSE price it will now cost me $1800 more for a 22 vs 21 HSE...

I can upgrade the display screen, but seems like a huge jump in price when considering the price of the 2020's just a few months ago.

The XS edition seems to be the HSE+ edition as it has extras like the clearsight mirror, three zone climate control ($1075 for 21's), Cabin Air ionization, Air Quality sensor, premium cabin lighting among others.. Its base price is $600 cheaper than the HSE. Color options are limited. Body coloured cladding and arches seems appealing.

Darn, that’s a lot. It’s the air suspension that kills ya. Stripping that out of the higher-level trim models is just a deceptive way to hide the true size of the price hike. If they argue, “we’re giving people who are scared of the longevity or reliability of the air suspension a chance to avoid it in the higher trims”, well fine. Then reduce the MSRP a bit to reflect this. But hiking it, on top of that major content deletion, then throwing back a bone with the metallic paint (relatively few people will take advantage of that, compared to air suspension) and heated seats (cost them, what, $26 to add wires and switches?) is jerky.

So I think your comparison actually undersells the gouge for most of us, since you were getting metallic paint anyway.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:16 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Darn, that’s a lot. It’s the air suspension that kills ya. Stripping that out of the higher-level trim models is just a deceptive way to hide the true size of the price hike. If they argue, “we’re giving people who are scared of the longevity or reliability of the air suspension a chance to avoid it in the higher trims”, well fine. Then reduce the MSRP a bit to reflect this. But hiking it, on top of that major content deletion, then throwing back a bone with the metallic paint (relatively few people will take advantage of that, compared to air suspension) and heated seats (cost them, what, $26 to add wires and switches?) is jerky.

So I think your comparison actually undersells the gouge for most of us, since you were getting metallic paint anyway.
I agree with you about the air suspension and I think they figured out that there is not enough price spacing between some of the models (which is how I got all the way up to an HSE in my build). I recognize that a coil spring suspension would be better if I was going on safari, but I dont plan to. Additionally I am now placed into a situation where I have no idea what the ride difference will be for a coil vs air suspension defender. I like the idea of changing ride height with the air suspension. I have a non refundable deposit so I feel like this is a bit of a strong arm here. I would never be someone who ordered this vehicle without seeing in person and test driving.

The price for non premium metallic paint is a no cost upgrade on the SE+ now, so that is a factor as well.

The heated seats I think was a $500 option for lower trims. HSE had it standard. Honestly the SE became a little more appealing relative to the x dynamic models it seems.

Personally I think they have way to many sub models. I dont understand where the defender x sits anymore or why it exists. IMO you should have a base model with p300 engine and minimal frills, an SE and HSE model that moves up with some of the frills and then the v8 that is the top of the line. The carpathian edition should be a pack that the V8 can add. In the UK they have two sub models of s, se, and hse (x dynamic version of each). Why?

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with you about the air suspension and I think they figured out that there is not enough price spacing between some of the models (which is how I got all the way up to an HSE in my build). I recognize that a coil spring suspension would be better if I was going on safari, but I dont plan to. Additionally I am now placed into a situation where I have no idea what the ride difference will be for a coil vs air suspension defender. I like the idea of changing ride height with the air suspension. I have a non refundable deposit so I feel like this is a bit of a strong arm here. I would never be someone who ordered this vehicle without seeing in person and test driving.

The price for non premium metallic paint is a no cost upgrade on the SE+ now, so that is a factor as well.

The heated seats I think was a $500 option for lower trims. HSE had it standard. Honestly the SE became a little more appealing relative to the x dynamic models it seems.

Personally I think they have way to many sub models. I dont understand where the defender x sits anymore or why it exists. IMO you should have a base model with p300 engine and minimal frills, an SE and HSE model that moves up with some of the frills and then the v8 that is the top of the line. The carpathian edition should be a pack that the V8 can add. In the UK they have two sub models of s, se, and hse (x dynamic version of each). Why?
Man. It seems harsh that they're holding you to that deposit despite all the changes and chops; MY20/21/22 in 3 months of ordering and a price hike each time. I was feeling glad, until I read the details, that you finally had your confirmed order and model in.

It's going to be a bloody nice truck, but that's quite the spec! Enjoy!

Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Winching

I ran the numbers and it seems like with what it offers, the XS model is a much better value then the X dynamic HSE. This presumes the limited color selection is agreeable. I am trying to understand how JLR is navigating their pricing but that the XS is cheaper than the HSE at a base price and includes air suspension. The buyers guide seems to indicate that the XS includes all standards in the HSE and has the several extras. The buyers guide looks hastily put together with errors in multiple places (typically including standards twice like XS has heated steering wheel listed twice on the interior features).

On the line itemization it does not list what leather package is standard for the XS, so I am not sure if the same upgraded and extended leather package that the HSE has. The XS build costs nearly $4k less than my converted HSE build.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench

I ran the numbers and it seems like with what it offers, the XS model is a much better value then the X dynamic HSE. This presumes the limited color selection is agreeable. I am trying to understand how JLR is navigating their pricing but that the XS is cheaper than the HSE at a base price and includes air suspension. The buyers guide seems to indicate that the XS includes all standards in the HSE and has the several extras. The buyers guide looks hastily put together with errors in multiple places (typically including standards twice like XS has heated steering wheel listed twice on the interior features).

On the line itemization it does not list what leather package is standard for the XS, so I am not sure if the same upgraded and extended leather package that the HSE has. The XS build costs nearly $4k less than my converted HSE build.
Interesting. But they don't tout it as a savings package anywhere. When Porsche bundles a bunch of expensive options into a GTS or Special Edition model, you usually get:

A) a color inside or out or both that you can't get anywhere else
B) a performance bump, either unavailable on other models or super expensive
C) some equipment that is unique to that model
D) a big savings (thousands of dollars) over what the next lower down standard model would cost if you added all stuff that is standard on the Special Edition but optional on the standard model.

Sounds like the XS is offering D from the above list, but not A-C.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Winching

Not sure if "A "quite applies here, but the color outside is different from the other models in that the lower cladding and wheel arches are all body colored (I guess this doesn't apply if you had a black defender)

The first edition model didn't really meet any of those metrics either, and the XS is supposed to be a direct replacement for it. It does bundle some interior options and you can itemize rear diff locker without getting the off road pack (IE dont have to buy off road tires from JLR)

When I was building the 2021 the SE, X-dynamic SE, and X dynamic HSE were all pricing within a few thousand of one another, which really seemed odd to me. In some ways I wish there were more al a carte upgrade options with, like mentioned above, special edition that provides the cost savings for bundling more. There is some variance between the models, specifically in the type of seating adjustment and seating surface, that is a bit confusing (at least to me). Personally I liked the extended leather package of the HSE, but not sure that or my preferred color of carpathian grey would be worth the extra $4k when it opens up the budget for additional accessories.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Just got a ping from my local dealer, 2022 MY sold out, now taking orders for 2023 model year. Could this be real or maybe he's mixed it up and meant 2022? lol I've never seen anything like this. I'm interested in the 90 if that matters. I've yet to see one land on their lot (any model year)

Old 03-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chief65
Just got a ping from my local dealer, 2022 MY sold out, now taking orders for 2023 model year. Could this be real or maybe he's mixed it up and meant 2022? lol I've never seen anything like this. I'm interested in the 90 if that matters. I've yet to see one land on their lot (any model year)
Someone a couple months ago said that it was going to take almost a year for their dealer to fill their 110 order based on their allocation. I guess anything is possible.

To me the 90 is priced so close to the 110 I am surprised that there is a big demand for it.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now