2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 560 Likes on 252 Posts

Like I said above, in my experience 2.0.5 fixed almost nothing as far as the issues I was having with the infotainment system before. If anything, it seems to have made matters worse. The problems are so many, so random, and affecting so many aspects of the system (phone/Bluetooth, Android Auto, music apps, navigation system, sat radio, car settings, connections), it's not even worth listing them all, but it's not just you and my guess is that your dealer's only line of defense at this time will be to perform a system reset and hope for the best, something you and I can do in our garage in 15 seconds, knowing tomorrow we'll probably have to do again (if not sooner.) Pivi Pro has great potential once LR figures out the software and dozens of bugs affecting it, but in its current conditions it is an unmitigated disaster for anyone spending more than a few hours with it.

The following users liked this post:
Patrick Valencia (01-10-2021)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The only other thing that was done to my Defender was the dealer updated via USB stick several modules. I couldn’t get the name of the modules so I don’t know if any affect communications. Another thought is If you are away from your local area does your 4 G perform differently? The bummer is that unless I have something mechanical occurring Inam reluctant to head to the dealer. Fortunately my Defender continues to be a model citizen. At this time I get the feeling our dealers are as perplexed as us. Somewhere at JLR someone knows the status-just wish they would share with us.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Mudding

Since I am new and cannot figure out how to start a new thread yet- I have a software like ish question

Does anyone have the optional Activity Key? I ordered one and they canceled that option for me. It is still on their web site so I wondered if anyone else has had experience with this option?
Thanks

Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 PM
Winching

It should be relatively easy to retrofit on MY2020s, especially US spec vehicles. This is from Damian Dinning, a JLR Product Marketing & Planning Team for Infotainment, User Interface, Connectivity & Audio systems representative posting on the All New Defender Owners group on fb:

The 2nd gen activity key (the one with the display) can be retro enabled on all 21MY EVA2 (electrical vehicle architecture) vehicles. On 21MY vehicles you'll need to purchase the key and have it paired with your vehicle as if you would a 3rd key. If your Defender is a 20MY example and outside of the US, the RFA remote function actuator (or keyless vehicle module as some may know it as) will need to be replaced by your retailer - it's relatively straightforward so I am told. Once this is done the activity key and your original keys will ALL need to be paired with the vehicle. You'll need to get a quote from your retailer for this to be done in addition to supplying the activity key. In the US, it isn't necessary to replace this module. Our retailers should be familiar with these processes.
The hard part will be convincing your local dealer that they should be familiar with these processes. My local retailer here in SoCal is, as always, completely clueless and forever 'looking into it".

Last edited by umbertob; 11-29-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Mudding

What is the All New Defenders Owners Group in fb??? Thanks Maybe there will be tidbits there on other items.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Mudding

Sorry coffee just kicked in. Facebook - not a participant. That might tempt me to join. Thanks Umbertob

Old 12-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Winching

From the same FB group, we have an incoming update, 2.0.6, to "look forward" to... It's in the wild, at least in the UK. Brings Alexa-like feature to Pivi Pro (you can use a wake-up word to talk to the system), refinements to ACC and LKA, and some unspecified improvements to UI, performance and settings.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update. Glad we the Siri like function. Wonder if 2.0.6 will allow me to ask LR why my does my Siruis still disappear after startup yet on the sixth update version, or why do I have no connectivity with no SIM card detected or can you finally fix an A Pillar noise? ): Let's hope some engineers actually understand what is going on...

Old 12-01-2020, 09:57 PM
Mudding

Hey guys from USA West Coast. The 2.0.6 Fairies have arrived. Tonight upon shutdown I received the “Lock Your Vehicle and Wait “ message. ( I did not wait in vehicle just for the record)I checked later and yes I had successfully installed 2.0.6. I like having specific release notes and I also checked the Live Apps Software for updates and found yes in fact my latest software update was from my junior year in high school 12/31/1969. Sorry JLR you walked into that one. Weather did not have an update but both other functions listed did. So what features have I noticed so far?

‘in Live Apps I am offered the option for two streaming music services which previously I had not seen.
When I first enter the software menu I see an option for “ENHANCE BRAKE HOLD ASSIST’ or something close to that.
‘My on again off again ability to select Adaptive Speed Limiter is back -it doesn’t turn off after a couple of seconds when I select it anyway.
‘I already had a custom Wake Word in use but now it’s official I guess
Machine learning which I thought I had but had no evidence of now gives me some sort of list of recent trips-more exploration to come tomorrow.
‘I am interested also to see if the somewhat scary at times LKA Lane Keep Assist is changed for the better.

‘Well tomorrow is a new adventure apparently -I am positively impressed that JLR is going after the software bugs and features. Between the lot of us we should be able to sort out what has changed. My defender is indeed alive. Makes me think of a line from that old Gene Wilder Young Frankenstein Movie-It;s Alive It’s Alive.

The following users liked this post:
DefenderSmitty (12-15-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't have any info issues until now. Bluetooth dropping calls every call.

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update