2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The issue appears random. Has your dealer updated all your “modules” with a usb stick as well? Mine did and I do not know if that affects any of this connectivity. You might try looking at your account on the web at “Incontrol.Landrover.com”. Log in with your credentials and check your accounts. If you cannot maybe that could be part of the issue.

I also found a bit more-just a bit info on their Live Apps. These are not the same as your system software. From what I read they do plan to send us weather as long as that subscription is present. I looked on that web site and found the subscriptions my Defender has and it seems 2 last the length of the warranty which is 4 years and one for items like the weather app last about 3 months for a trial unless we renew.

I hopped in mine yesterday and it was in the middle of a live app update. It took a minute to complete and after the next stop everything seemed normal again except the weather app which fired up but only showed the high level local weather not the details. I fully expect today that I will see different performance today. Granted 4G connection strength varies a good bit as I drive around. This will be a subscription I won’t renew unless it starts to be a bit more stable. Not that big a deal and if it wasn’t free I would be upset about it.

With 2.0.5 my vehicle seems quite stable now with exception of those occasional crazy Live App updates. I have never had any basic car function system issues.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok - so for me, I just got the 2.0.5 update (from 2.04) and noticed a few things.

1. My remote start via incontrol no longer works.
2. Weather apps / live apps MIA (they were there, then gone, then back, now gone again).

Previous to this, I would get a random black screen - when the screen goes black, radio, XM, etc. all still work. I do a reset, black screen is still there....(multiple times). After parking, locking and leaving the car it all seems to resolve itself. Also, on "reset" I do NOT loose my XM favs.
I've tried lots of combos, reset, lock, lock @ sec, open door - - ETC, ETC....but thinking either the BT or live app connection is "hanging" - - anyone else see anything like this?

Also - anyone just DELETE the live apps?

Last edited by Defenerauug; 11-22-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:03 PM
Mudding

I have the same question-I don’t need the weather or the seeming instability with every live app update. What do I lose if I just delete Live Apps. I guess in theory I could add them back but if they are all just a 3 month trial why not end that now and be rid of those crazy updates for apps. Wouldn’t want to lose compass for example but as far as I can tell it’s just weather and a couple of music streaming apps. Anyone know more on this?

Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Defenerauug
Ok - so for me, I just got the 2.0.5 update (from 2.04) and noticed a few things.

1. My remote start via incontrol no longer works.
2. Weather apps / live apps MIA (they were there, then gone, then back, now gone again).

Previous to this, I would get a random black screen - when the screen goes black, radio, XM, etc. all still work. I do a reset, black screen is still there....(multiple times). After parking, locking and leaving the car it all seems to resolve itself. Also, on "reset" I do NOT loose my XM favs.
I've tried lots of combos, reset, lock, lock @ sec, open door - - ETC, ETC....but thinking either the BT or live app connection is "hanging" - - anyone else see anything like this?

Also - anyone just DELETE the live apps?

FWIW - I opened my sunscreen (lol) and the apps and remote start all came back. Coincidence ? 😌

Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 PM
Mudding

I saw this alert message on their TOPIx system. I just made an account earlier in the month. I wonder if this affects owners vehicles with corrupted downloads or if this is just their maintenance system updates.

SOTA (Software Over The Air) - NOTICE

Issue: We are currently experiencing issues with the Software Over The Air (SOTA) servers that may cause problems when attempting to complete SOTA operations.

Cause: The cause of the server issues are currently being investigated and an update will be issued as soon as possible.

Action: If problems are experienced when attempting to complete SOTA operations, no further action should be taken. Instead the operation should be retried when the server is back online.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a very strange feeling. Its a feeling of joy. I had read so much negative from A pillar to software, etc that once A pillar did as expected I was like "no surprise all good", then any software issue I was like "not as bad as other no biggie".
I have unknowing become happy with my lack of "as many issues as others" and excepted mine to be the norm or at least not as bad as some.
Ironic & Funny that my 77K+ vehicle I am still quite pleased with. LOL

Old 11-24-2020, 10:29 AM
Mudding

The software updates and behavior for me seem to remain stable currently and all present and accounted for after 2.0.5 system update and a Pivi Pro reset following a 21 November 2020 application update. My current software update status is - Connect Accounts 1.1.18 as of 11/06/2020. Software Updates 1.9.7 as of 11/04 2020. Weather 2.5.0 as of 11/04/2020. On a positive note my alerts both for cross traffic behind me when backing out and the Forward Alert seem more responsive which is good. Cannot be sure about rear cross traffic as I did not focus on it early on as much as Forward Alert. I did receive a legit Forward Alert FINALLY set to very early in settings. I had been trying to force one out of curiosity since it seemed such a nice backup on other Landrover. I had just decided it was not very sensitive and was waiting for a update that might fix this. My warning yesterday came a couple of car lengths before a car that suddenly stopped at a crosswalk in front of me while I had momentarily glanced away. So I had closure rate within speed parameters and no foot on brake. I didn’t need an emergency stop but an expeditious one. Again I had the settings for Forward Alert set to very early. I considered the alert very appropriate. It was also at dusk. I have previously tried to trigger this alert many times when I first got the Defender but it is very difficult to not have your foot on the brake when closing in traffic and admittedly a bit crazy. Not that I want to depend on this but it is nice to know it is maybe there-yes until next update LOL. Being positive I would say software is stable to the point that I am happy with it. I was always happy with truck.

On the A pillar noises-my October delivery vehicle doesn’t have any of that-if a highway is rough and I am past 60 mph I do sometimes get a crackling noise under dash in front of driver which stops with light pressure on dash. If the road smooths out it goes away. Not enough to be nuisance and I need to have the radio off to notice. Wait and see on this one for sure.

The following users liked this post:
DonMitsu (11-24-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The software updating really is baffling. Now I have had my car cellular SIM not connected twice on startup. A reboot fixes that. When I go to the Live Apps menu - I am way behind on the Connect Accounts, Softwares Updates, Weather. All mine were last updated when I picked up the car on 9/14/2020. Then when you see if there are Live Apps/Apps updates - is says all are up to date based on menu. Apparently that doesn't seem accurate based on what you have. Also - no map update since purchase. Looks like a Jume map... (build date)

You would think they could figure this out like Apple does when you press update.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Mudding

I do occasionally notice no 4G connection on startup. My current theory is that the 4G in my area seems pretty weak and may drift in or out which was why I made sure to log the Defender on to my home Wi-Fi in garage. I don’t believe this helps with app updates actually just system software. Not sure but there as we have noticed is no information available to us on this topic. I tried reboots which work but then I just left it alone and it sorts out. To spare me angst I use app tiles on PIVI P and set the weather just out of view in other words not the first 3 and I don’t notice any fumbling about. It does seem more consistent of late but I imagine if 4G drifts away in my area the car would alert in some way.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Trying to figure out if I have continued software issues or is it my vehicle alone has an issue. I have the newest software 2.0.5 but still experiencing Sirius disappearing (and stopping play) about a minute after start up. It then comes back on in about 30 seconds later. l have reset the unit multiple times but seems to be recurring more frequently. It was only happening after every 4-5 start ups, but now coming more often. Also getting the no SIM card connected about every 5th time and only comes back on shut down/start up or after reset. Going back to dealer - but they seem clueless about vehicle/solutions.

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update