2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:39 AM
Winching
Received 560 Likes on 252 Posts

I did get an update today, but not 2.0.6, rather a revised version of 2.0.5, with more detail attached. For reference, I am in SoCal. Didn't have time to check on changes (didn't see any obvious ones and no wake-up word enabled under Speech Recognition for me yet), we'll see what happens in the next few days. LR engineers certainly seem to be quite busy sending out patches, which is a good sign... let's just hope they work. Screenshot:

Last edited by umbertob; 12-02-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

^^^ same here in Texas.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My wife and I have a drive planned today so I will get a good look at any changes in 2.0.6 I hope. What would really be helpful is some official explanation of the logic behind their software updates and especially why we all sometimes seem to be on different schedules. It is also a bit of a mystery to me as to how they find out what to work on. Hopefully some over the air behind the scenes data collection and I guess complaints at a dealership. The later is a frustrating customer experience which could be remedied by a call to a dealership and a more specific answer about software fixes on the way. I don’t think the dealership really knows either right now. I do pass all of my experience on to the dealer and they seem receptive. I just wonder what happens to the input.

Different versions could be model of the vehicle but it would be nice to know what is being investigated and what is planned. What is happening is consistent with what I experience from Apple except I can turn them down and wait to see what the community experience is. There are also many small updates following a larger one. Right now I don’t believe any of us would reject any updates as they seem to be getting the software more in line with features promised in manuals and such. The home run for JLR and automakers would be a slightly different model than tablet makers where we have a bit better communication in my mind.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the 2.0.5aC4 update this morning while driving as well. Not sure what the difference is - but always seems to default wifi back to off vs default to my home in garage on these updates. Will see if that fixes any of the issues.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I swear my interior LED lighting I could only do Blue. And now Have like 8 color options and brightness preference. Is this new?

Old 12-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting..

What trim level/options- thinking one must have Comfort & Convenience package with premium cabin lighting?

Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 PM
Winching

The hue of the Premium Cabin Lighting (part of the Comfort and Convenience pack here in NA) was always customizable to several different colors and brightness levels, as far as I know. It was advertised that way since the Defender was introduced last year.

Last edited by umbertob; 12-02-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LR4USN
Very interesting..

What trim level/options- thinking one must have Comfort & Convenience package with premium cabin lighting?
Comes with the refrigerator option, Convenience Pack. Here in the US for what it’s worth. Even when I bought sales said always blue. I said “that’s odd”. I’m inclined to think had been there. But I have thoroughly been through the system many times. Would be strange if I missed it. But possible.
Great feature/touch. Any where there is powdered coat inside there is lighting. So the whole dash is is lit up.

Last edited by DefendThis; 12-02-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Winching

I learned to take everything from the sales staff at my dealership with a grain of salt. I asked them months ago if I could buy two Click-n-Go iPad 5 holders for my daugthers' iPads, but they have an iPad 5 and it's not listed as compatible among the holders LR sells, which is odd. They said they'd look into it. After repeated requests, they said that they are sorry but my iPads are not compatible and I'll need to buy new iPads. I had to go online by myself to find out that the iPad 5 has the same exact dimensions of an iPad Air, so I ordered two holders for iPad Air (online, from a different dealership) and the iPad 5 fits like a glove, my girls are happy. I asked them about adding an Activity Key to my 2020 HSE over a month ago. "That's a tough one, probably not compatible but we'll let you know". It took me two days and a post on a FB forum to find out from a UK employee of JLR that 2020 NAS Defenders with keyless module are compatible with an activity key out of the box, the bracelet just needs to be programmed into the keyless module. I am not holding my breath for the dealer to ever get back to me with the same answer. They've sold me the car, their work is done. They won't lift a finger for you or even bother reading the owner's manual, with very rare exceptions. There's a whole chapter about ambient interior lighting in the iGuide that tells you where to go to change color and intensity of those mood lights if you have that feature, and that your headlights need to be on at the same time.

Off topic, but if you like blue, I highly recommend the front footwell LED kit that PowerfulUK sells. They turn bright white when the doors are open (much brighter that the stock ones) and dim to soft blue when the doors are shut (and your headlights are on), matching the blue of the mood lights in the dash and doors to perfection. You'll also get a much brighter set of load space / trunk LEDs in the kit. The factory ones are a bit dim back there when it's pitch black outside.

Last edited by umbertob; 12-02-2020 at 09:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
DefenderSmitty (12-21-2020), DefendThis (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by umbertob
I learned to take everything from the sales staff at my dealership with a grain of salt. I asked them months ago if I could buy two Click-n-Go iPad 5 holders for my daugthers' iPads, but they have an iPad 5 and it's not listed as compatible among the holders LR sells, which is odd. They said they'd look into it. After repeated requests, they said that they are sorry but my iPads are not compatible and I'll need to buy new iPads. I had to go online by myself to find out that the iPad 5 has the same exact dimensions of an iPad Air, so I ordered two holders for iPad Air (online, from a different dealership) and the iPad 5 fits like a glove, my girls are happy. I asked them about adding an Activity Key to my 2020 HSE over a month ago. "That's a tough one, probably not compatible but we'll let you know". It took me two days and a post on a FB forum to find out from a UK employee of JLR that 2020 NAS Defenders with keyless module are compatible with an activity key out of the box, the bracelet just needs to be programmed into the keyless module. I am not holding my breath for the dealer to ever get back to me with the same answer. They've sold me the car, their work is done. They won't lift a finger for you or even bother reading the owner's manual, with very rare exceptions. There's a whole chapter about ambient interior lighting in the iGuide that tells you where to go to change color and intensity of those mood lights if you have that feature, and that your headlights need to be on at the same time.

Off topic, but if you like blue, I highly recommend the front footwell LED kit that PowerfulUK sells. They turn bright white when the doors are open (much brighter that the stock ones) and dim to soft blue when the doors are shut (and your headlights are on), matching the blue of the mood lights in the dash and doors to perfection. You'll also get a much brighter set of load space / trunk LEDs in the kit. The factory ones are a bit dim back there when it's pitch black outside.
Funny you mention headlights needing to be on. The whole reason I went searching in the software for interior lighting today was because the LED interior was always on and I liked that. But it went away after my last update. I pulled in my garage and lights came on as did my LEDs. I liked it always on.

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update