2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Order: did you use local or out of state dealer? (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 06:59 AM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
JLR Manhattan quoted me a 10K markup back in July smh. Ended up going with a Jersey dealer for MSRP.
Wow! I think it was $2500 when I got mine (but they stood by the original deal of just MSRP). They have a really good allocation so the orders come in fast (under 3 months for me), but a $10k markup would surely be hard to swallow.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:06 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I visited three LR dealerships in CT. Two wanted mark-ups of some type (Fairfield and Danbury) the the third never returned any calls about scheduling a visit (Darian). I ended up ordering mine for MSRP in NY on February. No shenanigans

ficklma1 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:32 AM
Drifting
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

As we are all adding stories....I thought I would post my journey....
Back in July, I proudly walked into my local dealer (there are 3 here in the greater Pittsburgh area) and plunked down my $500 deposit, with the hopes that my allocation number would come up sometime in October - December.

On Wednesday November 16th, my dealer/SA emailed me to let me know that not only had their dealership received any allocations for November, but they would not be receiving any allocations until February '23 at the earliest. As there were still 10 individuals ahead of me...it started to look like it may be some time in 2030 before I took delivery. Sooooooooo

I took to the LR site and started searching.....I found "the one" in Alexandrea VA!! It was built (came to find out they built this specifically for inventory) with 95% of what I wanted (just missing the steering wheel heat and rear recovery eyes) and I called, I emailed...I did everything I could...and guess what...I got it!!!!

Paid MSRP + Zurich Coating and LoJack and on November 23rd, I woke up, took a 4+ hour drive and came hope with The Smurf!!! If anyone in this area needs a SA...hit me up as my guy at that dealer is top notch!!!

THE SMURF!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by EyeJayEhh:
EasternShoreDefender (12-07-2022), ficklma1 (12-07-2022), GrouseK9 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeJayEhh
As we are all adding stories....I thought I would post my journey....
Back in July, I proudly walked into my local dealer (there are 3 here in the greater Pittsburgh area) and plunked down my $500 deposit, with the hopes that my allocation number would come up sometime in October - December.

On Wednesday November 16th, my dealer/SA emailed me to let me know that not only had their dealership received any allocations for November, but they would not be receiving any allocations until February '23 at the earliest. As there were still 10 individuals ahead of me...it started to look like it may be some time in 2030 before I took delivery. Sooooooooo

I took to the LR site and started searching.....I found "the one" in Alexandrea VA!! It was built (came to find out they built this specifically for inventory) with 95% of what I wanted (just missing the steering wheel heat and rear recovery eyes) and I called, I emailed...I did everything I could...and guess what...I got it!!!!

Paid MSRP + Zurich Coating and LoJack and on November 23rd, I woke up, took a 4+ hour drive and came hope with The Smurf!!! If anyone in this area needs a SA...hit me up as my guy at that dealer is top notch!!!
I guess I could have saved myself the trip to Manhattan had I just tried the Alexandria dealership! I test drove with one local shop (technically they have two locations...) and I asked two questions via email and was ghosted, so I tried another in Bethesda but they didn't seem to have allocations. I gave up on local shops after that and was calling places based on the inventory site (most were already spoken for) when I found the NY shop had allocations. I guess it all worked out in the end for both of us!

Old 12-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Drifting
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I guess I could have saved myself the trip to Manhattan had I just tried the Alexandria dealership! I test drove with one local shop (technically they have two locations...) and I asked two questions via email and was ghosted, so I tried another in Bethesda but they didn't seem to have allocations. I gave up on local shops after that and was calling places based on the inventory site (most were already spoken for) when I found the NY shop had allocations. I guess it all worked out in the end for both of us!
Honestly...I think its just a crap shoot these days. It did work out, and that is really what is important. Its pretty crummy that dealers are keeping "sold" ones on their sites....but I look at it as a challenge...to find what you want, at the price you want, and not to compromise on what you want. I tried hard to convince myself to compromise on this or that....but the "hunt" proved to be bountiful...and I am happy as can be....and hope you are as well. The juice is worth the squeeze!!

D-Fens (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 130 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
Wow! I think it was $2500 when I got mine (but they stood by the original deal of just MSRP). They have a really good allocation so the orders come in fast (under 3 months for me), but a $10k markup would surely be hard to swallow.
Funny enough they also quoted me 6 months, didn’t matter as it was MSRP or nothing at all for me.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
Funny enough they also quoted me 6 months, didn’t matter as it was MSRP or nothing at all for me.
Heard back from three different regions across the states. Many are upholding the “won’t order for outside zip code” but on top of that they are now on 3 month order cycles and only for the 6 cylinder and some v8’s…. Hope things change Q1-Q2 next year…