2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnson Rods 1.5” lift vs Proud Rhino 2”

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehloo, I was looking into Black Rhino as well. Do you have any pics of your set up? Thanks

Last edited by EDWARDA; 01-28-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts
Default pics

just posted the same pics in another random thread

Originally Posted by EDWARDA
Ehloo, I was looking into Black Rhino as well. Do you have any pics of your set up? Thanks

The following users liked this post:
EDWARDA (01-28-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Winching
Default flaps

so i had mud flaps sitting around for the last two weeks. finally got a chance to install and they do rub with my 20 x 8.5 et 10mm 275/55/20 and Pr 1 inch lift. it does appear my flaps weren’t not installed 100 percent properly and can get gain another inch of clearance. not sure if that will do the trick but hoping it does. it rubs pretty hard only on reverse at full lock. but it’s loud and embarrassing and don’t want to have to explain what that noise is to my wife. i am going to have them adjusted and then cut if needed.

the flaps installed correctly appear that they extend prob an inch further that if you don’t have them. so be careful if you want flaps. you most likely have some issues if you go with AT tires

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
Here’s a bit of data for those of you playing with offsets and aftermarket wheels. I went to the Proud Rhino 2” lift thinking that it would help clear issues with running with more a more aggressive offset. Got a set of Vossen HF5’s with a +35 offset. I found that they rubbed the mud flaps badly with the 2” lift. Put the Johnson rods in and it clears. The 1.5” lift puts the centerline of the 33” tire right above the edge of the mud flap. So for those of you running 33’s. Max offset is +35....maaaaybe +30 and the 1.5” lift helps you more than the 2”. To that end the 2” Johnson rods do you a disservice if you’re running OEM mud flaps. I know this for certain as I spent the last 2 hours changing lift rods and driving in a circle at full lock. Here’s a pic of the defender on 1.5” with the Vossen wheels.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
so i had mud flaps sitting around for the last two weeks. finally got a chance to install and they do rub with my 20 x 8.5 et 10mm 275/55/20 and Pr 1 inch lift. it does appear my flaps weren’t not installed 100 percent properly and can get gain another inch of clearance. not sure if that will do the trick but hoping it does. it rubs pretty hard only on reverse at full lock. but it’s loud and embarrassing and don’t want to have to explain what that noise is to my wife. i am going to have them adjusted and then cut if needed.

the flaps installed correctly appear that they extend prob an inch further that if you don’t have them. so be careful if you want flaps. you most likely have some issues if you go with AT tires
on the +35 offset with 33” (275/60 R20) the rubbing from mudflaps can be resolved with a heat gun and screws. If the flaps are installed properly (mine are since I did them myself) you can pull them very close to the bodywork of the OEM Trim pieces. You do need to cut off a piece of the flap that’s utterly unnecessary (not sure why it’s there) so that the mudflaps follow the lines is the OEM trim pieces (those who own mudflaps will know what I’m talking about if they look at their flaps) Add two short self tapping screws to push the flaps closer to the OEM trim work and then use a heat gun to bend the remaining portion flush. It’s about 10 min work per side but will solve the problem with a +35 offset. Doubtful that it will work anything more aggressive on 33” tires

Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Winching
Default trim

what did you use to trim. Dremel?

on the +35 offset with 33” (275/60 R20) the rubbing from mudflaps can be resolved with a heat gun and screws. If the flaps are installed properly (mine are since I did them myself) you can pull them very close to the bodywork of the OEM Trim pieces. You do need to cut off a piece of the flap that’s utterly unnecessary (not sure why it’s there) so that the mudflaps follow the lines is the OEM trim pieces (those who own mudflaps will know what I’m talking about if they look at their flaps) Add two short self tapping screws to push the flaps closer to the OEM trim work and then use a heat gun to bend the remaining portion flush. It’s about 10 min work per side but will solve the problem with a +35 offset. Doubtful that it will work anything more aggressive on 33” tires

Old 02-02-2021, 05:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Ehloo
what did you use to trim. Dremel?
a set of industrial scissors that cut plastic. A dremel would be fine too but the mud flaps are made of a real soft plastic and the scissors give a clean edge and cut effortlessly

Old 02-05-2021, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeTacos
I mean we can keep going down this trail all day... why did you build a JK on 40’s to be a rock crawler you pavement princess??? My ultra4 buggy on stickies will run circles around that POS!

Get my sarcastic joke?

if not, holy moly, why do you have a 720s??? You know they just dropped the 765lt and it is running 9.3’s @150 out of the box! Freaking peasant!

Point is everyone has different goals. As someone who is currently probably a mix between the two of you, I tend to agree on the mudflaps and vossen’s not being high priority for a daily that will see some off-road use but I respect what is trying to be accomplished. My 2” proud rhino lift should be here soon and I am tempted to order the 1.5” from Johnson rods as well and just swap them and drive in circles just to find the best ride.

Btw I love the 720, one of the few exotics that may make me break away from my Porsche fanboi status if I could find a reliable one LOL
Hi, a 720S owner and a future Defender owner lurking here. I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut when I saw the 720 being mentioned lol. You guys do remind me a lot of the 720s forum guys. They’re very active there too. It’s a community unlike with the Ferrari/Lambo forums which aren’t nearly as active or mod-friendly. It’s actually one of the reasons that I didn’t sell the car yet, choosing to swallow all those reliability issues instead.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Are you guys getting an alignment after the lift? I found that you get more toe with the height change.

On the matter of alignments: the only adjustment that can be done is for toe. No camber or caster adjustments unless you order new suspension arms.

Rob
I didn’t check but typically camber gets more positive when you raise any car, which is undesirable.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ILikeTacos
I mean we can keep going down this trail all day... why did you build a JK on 40’s to be a rock crawler you pavement princess??? My ultra4 buggy on stickies will run circles around that POS!

Get my sarcastic joke?

if not, holy moly, why do you have a 720s??? You know they just dropped the 765lt and it is running 9.3’s @150 out of the box! Freaking peasant!

Point is everyone has different goals. As someone who is currently probably a mix between the two of you, I tend to agree on the mudflaps and vossen’s not being high priority for a daily that will see some off-road use but I respect what is trying to be accomplished. My 2” proud rhino lift should be here soon and I am tempted to order the 1.5” from Johnson rods as well and just swap them and drive in circles just to find the best ride.

Btw I love the 720, one of the few exotics that may make me break away from my Porsche fanboi status if I could find a reliable one LOL
just saw your reply. The new 765LTs performance stats are making regret not plunking down a deposit when I was offered a spot. I’ve been calling the dealer to ask if he can find me a coupe that someone is having second thoughts on - otherwise I might just put a deposit down for a 765 spider soon. Btw I had a 991TT as a daily driver. Reliability was better than a 720s but I’d take the mclaren over any 991 or 992. Reliability isn’t as bad as the forums make them out to be. In fact my defender has more glitches than the 720

The following users liked this post:
LRDEF2LR (07-27-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Here’s a bit of data for those of you playing with offsets and aftermarket wheels. I went to the Proud Rhino 2” lift thinking that it would help clear issues with running with more a more aggressive offset. Got a set of Vossen HF5’s with a +35 offset. I found that they rubbed the mud flaps badly with the 2” lift. Put the Johnson rods in and it clears. The 1.5” lift puts the centerline of the 33” tire right above the edge of the mud flap. So for those of you running 33’s. Max offset is +35....maaaaybe +30 and the 1.5” lift helps you more than the 2”. To that end the 2” Johnson rods do you a disservice if you’re running OEM mud flaps. I know this for certain as I spent the last 2 hours changing lift rods and driving in a circle at full lock. Here’s a pic of the defender on 1.5” with the Vossen wheels.

This is the best looking setup ive seen. Cheers.

Whats the width of your wheel? I noticed someone asked but I didnt see an answer.

I am looking to get the same KO2's 275 60 R20 with the Johnson 1.5in lift. I am looking to purchase the Kahn Mondial's which are Offset ET20 with a 9.5in width. Do you think these would clear with the mudflap mod you did?

Whats the width of your Vossen HF5?