2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2020 Defender Lift Kit by Johnson Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021 | 01:50 PM
|
LR Forum Vendor

Yes, you can fit the 275-55-20 without a lift. It does look better with it however.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-18-2021 | 02:29 PM
|
LR Forum Vendor

Fun in the mud using our Johnson Rod lift with larger 33 inch tires.
Check our links below for more info and to order a set for your Defender.
Ask your Land Rover dealer to install Johnson Rods.

Ryan... (11-08-2021)
Old 01-26-2021 | 01:27 PM
Mudding

Thanks! Yeah it does look great with the rods, but good to know i can install the rods after the tires.

Old 02-02-2021 | 09:08 AM
4th Gear

guys running spacers are you replacing your studds also?

Old 02-07-2021 | 10:44 PM
Overlanding

JR 1.5" w BFG KO2 275/60/20. Big improvement over factory A/T tires in snow and dirt and maybe even on road. Fits perfect, however, I think any spacers or wider offset would rub w this size tire.

Old 02-11-2021 | 08:29 AM
Drifting

I was told by a dealer (during purchase negotiations) that they would not install the Johnson Rods because it would void the warranty. I see that there is a a 110S listed on the LR website that has Johnson Rods as a dealer installed accessory. I know there is one post in this thread that addresses this, but I would be rather upset if I bought a car off the lot where the dealer installed the Johnson Rods (not on my request) and then was told by LR that this voided any warranty issue that might arise with the suspension or related aspects. What’s the truth here?

Old 02-11-2021 | 08:42 PM
Overlanding

There are some dealers who will not install them, but there are others that will. I took delivery of my vehicle from a dealer who wouldn't install anything aftermarket, including the rods. I then had another dealer install them along with new tires... their comment was that if there were suspension related problems JLR could deny any claims, but their dealership would basically look the other way... I believe there has been some more detailed conversations about warranty, earlier in this thread. It seems like anything aftermarket is technically a breach of warranty terms. However, In practice, it may not be enforced. I also you can keep the factory rods, and it's an easy switch back if there were ever any issues. Personally, after seeing what the rods do and that they are not putting any strain on the air suspension, it is a risk I am comfortable taking. Might be worth looking into the LR3 / 4 forums to see if anyone has had warranty claim denials, as there are some older high mileage vehicles using rod lifts...

Old 03-02-2021 | 01:28 PM
|
LR Forum Vendor

Some dealers just don't do any after market installs, however many of those send them to shops they work with and know its being done.
We have many dealers that are happy to install them and stand by the installation. Check with other dealers in your area.

Fgjr (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021 | 03:55 PM
|
LR Forum Vendor

275-60-20 (33") Nitto Ridge Grappler tires with our 1.5 inch Johnson Rod lift.
check our profile information below for more.

Old 03-20-2021 | 01:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default Why take em off?

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
Yes but I don't really think that "over-inflating" is exactlly what I would call it. Think of them as "filling up more" rather than "stretching a balloon". The bags have quite a bit of travel range... you will loose some droop/articulation though. I have some on a disco 5. I put the lift rods on when we have our larger offroad tireset on the vehicle for road driving... if any offroading where tire lift is going to be done, I swap back to stock rods and put it an offroad mode with the preset factory lift/higher air fill. Since the disco and defender share most of that stuff, I imagine that the installation of these rods is almost the same... it takes me less than 10 minutes to change from stock rods to lift rods... or back.
Excellent clarification, thanks. Can you please explain further why you'd take them off for off roading. If I understand correctly, it jusr increases all three heights by 1.5". So wouldnt that help with approach angles, etc, even in off road height setting to have an additional 1.5"?

Quick Reply: New 2020 Defender Lift Kit by Johnson Rods