Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Roof Rack "Voyager"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
Thanks. I’m thinking to have the dealer loosen the bolts so if they go bad the fix is on them. No idea whether they’ll agree to this.
JLR will warranty it regardless of them fixing it. I spent DAYS gathering data and reaching out to dealers across the country. My dealer sent it up as a warranty request and it was approved and then trickled down to a couple others. It’s a record and in the system as approved.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:39 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

it’s great to hear someone able to get the bolts out with no issues. i was hoping this might be isolated or not taking your time removing them

most low profile rack options will need access these bolts

did you loosen by hand?

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
None at all. I read about those issues as well and I made sure I slowly loosened them. The worst part was removing the bolt covers from the rails. There is zero good info on the deep dark web on how to remove these so I ended up having to hammer a flat head screw driver straight down the back (short) edge until it was under the lip and then pried the covers off. The rail got chewed up a bit and the covers were destroyed. If you figure out a better way I’d love to hear about it.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
it’s great to hear someone able to get the bolts out with no issues. i was hoping this might be isolated or not taking your time removing them

did you loosen by hand?
Yes, I was very careful and said a little prayer . I had zero issues with the bolts.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Ehloo

did you loosen by hand?
the bolt issue wasn’t because of “not taking your time”. Those of us that encountered the issue were all doing so by hand. The issue is the literal ton of locktight you’ll see on the threads.

with mine - the front two that were spinning - I didn’t even have a chance they spun the minute I touched them so they evidently came that way from factory.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah, I don’t see how going slowly would make a difference. One could argue that a shock from a impact wrench might work better, though I’m probably too afraid to experiment. Only thing that loosens locktite is heat, and assuming they didn’t use red locktite (pls tell me it’s blue) I’m going to just hold a solder tip on the bolt for a while to see if that helps. Nothing short of a torch will loosen red, so if it’s red, I’m going to let the dealer break it.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tartan
Yeah, I don’t see how going slowly would make a difference. One could argue that a shock from a impact wrench might work better, though I’m probably too afraid to experiment. Only thing that loosens locktite is heat, and assuming they didn’t use red locktite (pls tell me it’s blue) I’m going to just hold a solder tip on the bolt for a while to see if that helps. Nothing short of a torch will loosen red, so if it’s red, I’m going to let the dealer break it.
Its Blue! I had taken the bolts to the dealer. They were literally slathered in the stuff.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you folks using to secure gear with? So far, I’ve just used straps. I’m thinking of fabricating some drop in hardware to bridge the gap between the bars for smaller boxes/cargo (like the front runner boxes that I have a ton of laying around the garage).

Old 03-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
What are you folks using to secure gear with? So far, I’ve just used straps. I’m thinking of fabricating some drop in hardware to bridge the gap between the bars for smaller boxes/cargo (like the front runner boxes that I have a ton of laying around the garage).
One of the benefits of the Front Runner rack is how versatile it is and all the accessories that bolt on. I bolts on my MaxTrax to the rear, awning to the side and rtt on top. Yes, my MaxTrax is broken. I actually have used them...but not with the Defender.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I plan on mostly attaching things to the sides using the voyager maxtrax accessory and the shovel attachment. Maybe an anwning on the other side. Will have a tent on the roof sometimes so the side attachments for other things are key. I have a Thule box that will easily attach to the tubes, and a Thule ski rack that will attach using the Thule speedlinks. I also have a roof bag with solid bottom for some other things. Not sure I’ll ever put anything else up there.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Might also consider these little attachments for securing straps. LoD off-road seems to make some other plates and things that might mount to the voyager.

https://www.carid.com/lod-offroad/de...eid=3073801540

Quick Reply: NEW Roof Rack "Voyager"