2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Barstoolman1127
When you say "slightly larger"....what do you Ean?? You can easily fit 265/70/18's on, without any rubbing and some members have 275/65/18's on without rubbing. What tires did you try out??
I have seen nobody successfully mount either of those sizes to OEM 18”s and report no rubbing during serious off-roading.

I myself had slight rubbing with 265/75R18s (KO2s and Nitto RGs) on Lucky8 TuffAnts with no lift and no spacers… significant rubbing on the stock 18s during street driving (wheel cranked). No way you’re off roading with that.

After those fails, I went to my brother-in-laws place, and we tried all sorts of used tires he had in stock, just cranking over the wheel to see what worked.

In aggressive wheel-cranked reverse, we found even a tire that was 32” even OD and 10.7” width (.5 wider than stock) could often rub. We tried like 10-11 different sets, I can’t remember which was the 32 even 10.7, but I’ll check with him and see if he remembers.

In any event, since something as simple as the tire pressure difference between identical tires that are aired down vs not can account for a full inch of extra width, it’s pretty clear that if the vehicle rubs due to an extra half inch during street driving, that off-roading even with the stock tires will cause significant rubbing… as there will be articulation of at least 2-3” at times. Hence, if one is using the stock 18” rims, a width of 10” and a height of 28” would be ideal. Or perhaps 30” and 8” width, I don’t know. Whatever, pick your poison as far as the math goes, but all the numbers that work are ridiculous, and of course not sold. By anybody.

So go with the stock 20’s or aftermarket 18s… the OEM 18 option doesn’t work.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 07-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry you haven't seen anyone mount 265/70/18's without rubbing..........there's been plenty of threads about them. Maybe the issue was you tried 265/75/18'???

Old 07-05-2021, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Once again, none on STOCK OEM 18”s, no lift no spacers. Plenty on the Lucky8s and other aftermarket options. And again, based on the clearances we’re talking about, there is no way they aren’t rubbing during extreme articulation from serious off-roading.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Jeep telling yourself that............writing in bold print and italics doesn't make yoiyr statement any more convincing.......LOL!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2021, 10:59 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Use the thread search tool... 265/70/18's on stock steelies no lift/spacers....

Originally Posted by spikemd
I just fit 265/70 R18s General Grabber X3s on my P300. No rubbing at full turn or access height. Minimal road noise. Much beefier tire. I already blew 2 factory 'offroad' tires. One sidewall puncture on the trail and one ran over some metal, unrepairable.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Lol okay, guys. Listen, I took the time to run some different tires, and I’m telling you what happened. Take it or leave it.

And by all means, don’t take my word on anything… Post the above pics on some of the dedicated off-road sites (there are a lot of them) and ask for feedback on whether they think there will be rubbing during articulation. Measure the clearance you’re getting on 275/65R18s on the stock 18”s and ask for feedback on that…

Some of those guys know a lot more than me, so I’ll sign off here, and let you ask them… Best of luck!

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 07-06-2021 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
Lol okay, guys. Listen, I took the time to run some different tires, and I’m telling you what happened. Take it or leave it.

And by all means, don’t take my word on anything… Post the above pics on some of the dedicated off-road sites (there are a lot of them) and ask for feedback on whether they think there will be rubbing during articulation. Measure the clearance you’re getting on 275/65R18s on the stock 18”s and ask for feedback on that…

Some of those guys know a lot more than me, so I’ll sign off here, and let you ask them… Best of luck!
I think we got confused about what you are even trying to do here, try listing exactly what you tried, are you talking about 275/65's or 265/70's? Are you saying you tried both and both rub? Either way, I don't buy what you are saying about clearance, as long as it doesn't rub at full lock in access height you should be good to go as the wheel doesn't compress much beyond that. IFS and air suspension is a different ball game to solid axels and coils when it comes to articulation... maybe ask on your offroad forum for feedback on that?

265/70 should be good to go, If you are trying 275/65's and they rub then I guess they rub with the OE rims? The OE rims are probably a bit narrower than the aftermarkets, someone has posted they work on aftermarket rims with spacers. It's also possible the 90 is different to the 110, or maybe you don't have air suspension? Maybe try being a little more objective and leave the attitude at home.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Iceman153
I think we got confused about what you are even trying to do here, try listing exactly what you tried, are you talking about 275/65's or 265/70's? Are you saying you tried both and both rub?
Yes. Again, on a 90 with stock 18’s. If you read above, you will note I successfully ran 265/70R18 KO2s on a 110 with Lucky8 TuffAnt alloys. Only slight rubbing at full (off road) articulation. Slightly less than ideal, but workable. On the 90, with stock 18’s, there has been rub present during street driving with both the above tires.

Either way, I don't buy what you are saying about clearance, as long as it doesn't rub at full lock in access height you should be good to go as the wheel doesn't compress much beyond that. IFS and air suspension is a different ball game to solid axels and coils when it comes to articulation... maybe ask on your offroad forum for feedback on that?
What you buy or don’t buy is up to you. You want to buy that the pics above are of a rig that doesn’t rub when on the rock, that’s cool.

Well aware of the differences between springs and air. Not trying to cause offense, but stating that air suspension is a different ballgame to “solid axels and coils” doesn’t sound like you are. Firstly, you’re referring to an “axle”. That’s the bit in a truck. An “axel” is what a figure skater might do. And barring the Wrangler, there is really only one current vehicle on the road with a solid front and rear. Everything else is sprung independent, unless you’re talking JLR fam or the LC which are on air. And yes, sprung independent suspensions have plenty of articulation. Similar to air suspensions. Well more than .5” AD, in any event. And beyond that… the 90 is avail on springs, isn’t it? Unless you think the sprung trucks literally have different sized wheel wells?

265/70 should be good to go, If you are trying 275/65's and they rub then I guess they rub with the OE rims? The OE rims are probably a bit narrower than the aftermarkets, someone has posted they work on aftermarket rims with spacers. It's also possible the 90 is different to the 110, or maybe you don't have air suspension? Maybe try being a little more objective and leave the attitude at home.
You don’t know what I’m trying to say, you don’t buy what I’m trying to say… and then turn around and theorize that perhaps I meant the 90 with stock rims?.. When in literally every post I have been quite clear that I was referring, specifically, to the 90 with stock 18” rims? And moreover, stated that either aftermarket 18”s or OEM 20”s should yield different results?

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 07-06-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
Yes. Again, on a 90 with stock 18’s. If you read above, you will note I successfully ran 265/70R18 KO2s on a 110 with Lucky8 TuffAnt alloys. Only slight rubbing at full (off road) articulation. Slightly less than ideal, but workable. On the 90, with stock 18’s, there has been rub present during street driving with both the above tires.

What you buy or don’t buy is up to you. You want to buy that the pics above are of a rig that doesn’t rub when on the rock, that’s cool.

Well aware of the differences between springs and air. Not trying to cause offense, but stating that air suspension is a different ballgame to “solid axels and coils” doesn’t sound like you are. Firstly, you’re referring to an “axle”. That’s the bit in a truck. An “axel” is what a figure skater might do. And barring the Wrangler, there is really only one current vehicle on the road with a solid front and rear. Everything else is sprung independent, unless you’re talking JLR fam or the LC which are on air. And yes, sprung independent suspensions have plenty of articulation. Similar to air suspensions. Well more than .5” AD, in any event. And beyond that… the 90 is avail on springs, isn’t it? Unless you think the sprung trucks literally have different sized wheel wells?

You don’t know what I’m trying to say, you don’t buy what I’m trying to say… and then turn around and theorize that perhaps I meant the 90 with stock rims?.. When in literally every post I have been quite clear that I was referring, specifically, to the 90 with stock 18” rims? And moreover, stated that either aftermarket 18”s or OEM 20”s should yield different results?
You seem to simply enjoy arguing and nitpicking, grow up. My point was that air suspension in access height is going to be representative of max compression when offroading in offroad height, unless you offroad in access height for the extra challenge? the way you are talking about clearances made me assume you were coming from a jeep. your posts have just been angry rants, far from being clear or informative. It's still not clear if you have coils or air, and if you've actually had any issues offroad with the stock tire size that you are claiming doesn't work. The trucks in the marketing videos have larger wheel wells? seriously? All based on the fact that the wider tires you tried have mild rubbing? I don't know why I even bothered responding to you initially, was attempting to be helpful.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling

You seem to simply enjoy arguing and nitpicking, grow up. My point was that air suspension in access height is going to be representative of max compression when offroading in offroad height, unless you offroad in access height for the extra challenge? the way you are talking about clearances made me assume you were coming from a jeep. your posts have just been angry rants, far from being clear or informative. It's still not clear if you have coils or air, and if you've actually had any issues offroad with the stock tire size that you are claiming doesn't work. The trucks in the marketing videos have larger wheel wells? seriously? All based on the fact that the wider tires you tried have mild rubbing? I don't know why I even bothered responding to you initially, was attempting to be helpful.
How about we steer clear of personal insults, yeah? It’s kind of childish. Listen, air suspension in access height is absolutely not a stand-in for the most articulation these trucks are capable of. And besides, much of the rubbing occurred in off-road height when reversing cranked-wheel on a steep hill, performing a U-turn to head back down.

I admit the idea of them running modded trucks for adverts is wild (although not unprecedented), and you can say what you want… But the things I have seen the 110’s on OEM 20s do, and what I have done in my own 110 with aftermarket 18’s (Lucky8 Tuffant alloys), is simply not going to happen in my 90 on OEM 18s. The clearance just isn’t there.

Maybe it’s a difference with the body, maybe the OEM 18’s vs 20’s. But we ran 265/65s, 265/70s, and 275/65s from several different makers (all off-road tires, ATs, MTs and RTs,) and we got at least a tiny amount of rub, very often more, with each. On the street. And again, one of these tires was basically identical to stock in OD, and just .5” wider.

If you take issue with what we discovered, why don’t you get your own tires, run your own tests?

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 07-07-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)