2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 05:06 PM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
As of the new release this month (see attached and this link ), BFG KO3's are still NOT offered in 19". There is supposed to be another release or two in 2025 and wrapping up new release in 2026. I've looked pretty hard but have not seen any indication for sizes other that's what's offered thus far.

I'm currently getting ready to swap out for either BFG KO3 or Falkan A/T4W at LT265/70R18 load range E, along with the Lucky8 Caliper kit as I can't bare to grind those luscious red brake calipers on my 110x LOL If anyone can confirm that tire size fits w/out rubbing at full turn at Access - Normal - Off Road ride heights I'd appreciate it. Research here and elsewhere thus far says I should be okay.

Your OE calipers (or Discovery take-offs) are likely better quality than whatever Lucky 8 is sourcing, and would allow a dealer to service them with JLR parts.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,392 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by JBelt01
Your OE calipers (or Discovery take-offs) are likely better quality than whatever Lucky 8 is sourcing, and would allow a dealer to service them with JLR parts.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe LK8 sources Disco calipers (new, not takeoffs.) I just got the correct part numbers and ordered from my dealer, but that was my understanding in 2022 at least, when I did the swap.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:03 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JBelt01
There are zero reasons to run an odd ball 19” wheel. No idea why JLR even offered it. Replace with 18s or 20s if you plan on keeping the car.
I'd really just need a few options. Right now, the Goodyear Duratrac and the All Terrain with Kevlar both look excellent? But I've not driven with them yet. I don't need alot of choices - just something. For mostly highway driving Scorpion and Continental have one offering each, but I think I will stick with the Goodyear tires.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
I'd really just need a few options. Right now, the Goodyear Duratrac and the All Terrain with Kevlar both look excellent? But I've not driven with them yet. I don't need alot of choices - just something. For mostly highway driving Scorpion and Continental have one offering each, but I think I will stick with the Goodyear tires.
I'm still using the stock Goodyear Adventures on 18" steelies (P300). They're surprisingly better than I feared. I decided just to use them until they needed replacement, rather than spend the $ to replace brand new tires.

I've taken them on challenging offroad trails in central Pennsylvania; rocky ups and down, one of which is a Jeep badge of honor trail where I tagged along behind Rubicons. I aired down to 18 psi and never had an issue. Where I struggled, it was because of my limited ground clearance compared to the Jeeps, not because of my tires.

That's rocky trails. I haven't taken them in real mud, or Moab slickrock, so I can't speak to their performance in those environments. I also haven't had a rock try to slice a sidewall, so maybe I'm just lucky there - the KO3s would certainly be a better bet if your sidewalls are at risk.

But I have no regrets using up the stock AT tires. Having said that, I'll probably get something more aggressive when it's time to replace them.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some advice - I want to get some Rotiform STL wheels to serve as my winter/off road setup. I have a '23 D90 with the stock Brembo calipers and 22" rims. Tire Rack says the 20x9 rims with +30mm offset should work for me. First, I just wanted to confirm that those rims will be able to fit around the Brembo calipers. Second, I was hoping for some tire recommendations. I absolutely cannot lift my Defender because I have the expedition roof rack and I just barely fit into the parking garage at my work on the lowest suspension setting. All the tires that TireRack is recommending are 255/60R20. Does that imply that any tires that I want will fit with the Rotiform rims as long as they are that size? Thanks!

Last edited by TheAkita; 05-14-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:26 PM
Drifting
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm getting ready to take delivery of a 90S on 18" steel wheels / springs with the OE AT's.

I don't feel the stock AT's would be very trustworthy on the western US trails I've been on (nothing but rocks like daggers just waiting to slash your sidewalls). Therefore, I'm considering swapping for BFG KO3 in 265 / 70 R18. From wading through this thread, it seems this should be OK. Again, I'll be on springs, not air.

Confirmations / cautions about fitment? Consider Wildpeaks instead? Would those be significantly quieter?

What sort of accommodation might be hoped for from the dealer if asked to do a swap upon delivery?

Thank you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zondar:
ba_ (05-14-2024), Mike_F (05-15-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in 255/60R19

I am trying out the Falken Wildpeaks in a 60 series tire. Yes, I am losing 1/2" of sidewall and of course it's 31.3" instead of 32.1" diameter.

Unlike the OEM Goodyear 255/65 tire, these stick to the road like glue. Not in a bad way, we're talking better traction all-around.

That's not why I switched, I wanted better winter / snow handling, and the OEM tire isn't all that good as far as hydroplaning. Those two aspects will be waiting for weather, but these are a real step up for handling and traction!

I was waiting for the KO3 tires, originally KO2 and those look like 18 months out vice six. I lost two of the Wrangler tires on rocks driven square into the center of the tread. The OEM tires are 6 ply, 2 sidewall, 4 tread. The non OEM ones are 10 ply, addng 2 in both sidewall and tread. The second loss to a rock was a 10-ply tire...