2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:21 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
19" doesnt have a great selection. I'm pretty sure the best (maybe only) 19" AT tire is Goodyear Duratracs which to be fair are not bad tires. But according to here https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ac/sizes-specs they dont come in 265/65R19, but they are theoretically available at 255/65R19 which is 32.1" diameter.

In my unsolicited opinion, if you want the P400 but also want to really offroad I'd strongly be considering the lucky8 rear caliper swap, then 18" aftermarket wheels/tires.
I’ll check it out! That sounds like the right move. There’s no way I’m going up to 20” rims…

Old 12-22-2021, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Does anyone regret making the move to E load rated tires? Does it significantly change the noise/harshness of the ride compared to oem tires?

Old 01-07-2022, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ANYBODY Try 22" Wheels With Nitto Ridge Grapplers???

I have 22" wheels I would LIKE to use with Nitto Ridge Grapplers (
Amazon Amazon
).

The potential rub @33" tires is definitely noted and I realize 22" rims are NOT ideal for OR but I do like the look of the rim and the tire IF it would fit without a lift.

ANY advice, greatly appreciated!

Old 01-07-2022, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

We've run BFG KO2s on 20 inch rims on an LR4 for years with thousands of miles offroad. There are way better tire choices on 20s than 19s. 19s are throw away rims in my opinion. Get 20s. If u want to get 18s later, at least can sell the 20s. No one will buy 19s.

Originally Posted by freepower
I’ll check it out! That sounds like the right move. There’s no way I’m going up to 20” rims…

Old 01-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

22 inch rims for offroading? 45 aspect ratio? Ur joking right? At 32.1, it should fit, but you have no sidewall and can't air down at all. 22 might look cool for the road, but get some real rims for offroading.

Originally Posted by flywolf
I have 22" wheels I would LIKE to use with Nitto Ridge Grapplers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews).

The potential rub @33" tires is definitely noted and I realize 22" rims are NOT ideal for OR but I do like the look of the rim and the tire IF it would fit without a lift.

ANY advice, greatly appreciated!

Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 PM

Hey there, I need helpppp

I'm looking at this setup and not sure what level of rub I may get...

Rim: 20X10 TSW Silvano - 40 offset
Tire: looks like I'd have to put at least a 285 on it, so I was thinking a Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/55/20. Overall dia is 32.60 and width is 11.69. Seems this combo will be about a half inch outside what this feed says should fit without rubbing. The height looks like it will be fine, but the width - not so much. Even the 285/45/22 width is 11.22, so about .47 inches more.

Speaking to the tire shop that recommended these, they say they will fit...but we all know what that means...

I'm between this option and a Vossen HF5 9.5 rim, 275/55/20 Nitto tire...but I don't like the 2X+ price the Vossen's come with...

Old 01-13-2022, 06:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@wrangler4defender86 - Here's the thread you probably want: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...on-fit-108511/

From what I wrote down (though I could have missed something), no one has fitted a 285/55R20 on this forum. A couple point to a person on Insta who have (with lift) and a different forum. Both mentioned in the above thread. Most abandoned that set up because what typically gets the rubbing issue is the width of the tire, not the height (yes and there are Zillions of "yeah, butts" - I'm going on general conservative notes).

People have posted 285/65R18 working and 285/45R22, but for some reason - that set up hasn't been very popular (or those who tried had too much rub for them in Access mode, if I remember).

The following users liked this post:
RSR (01-18-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rirealtor
265 60 20 with factory mud flaps fit without issue.
Just back from the powder coating shop.

what brand tires are these? Very nice setup

Old 01-24-2022, 04:11 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I have the OEM Goodyear Adventure 255/60/R20 tires on my Defender 110 SE

Because of the problem with modifications needed to get away from these 20 inch wheels, to have a vehicle that is truly a better off road vehicle (airing down with 18 inch wheels for one), I will not likely be keeping this vehicle long term.

I would like to do some off road in Death Valley though and I assume some of these tires listed will be much stronger against rocks than the OEM tire.

That is the point of this thread right? To get stronger more purposed tires than the OEM? I know that any tire can be destroyed by off road hazards, but 20 inch wheels aside, LR boards always slam these wheels/tires for any off road use (and many slamming the new Defender itself).

When I go to Big O or American tire sites their search engine does not offer any of the tires discussed here. Only Duratrac was listed and said "does not meet Speed Index"

What can I expect if I walk in and ask for a stronger tire that fits and does not rub? Will they refuse to try to fit the choices this thread has outlined? Make me sign a disclaimer? And uggh.. choices about spacers, the sensor swap/replace comments.

It is incredible how often you folks change tires to try things! I don't know how you do it...like me changing my socks!

I don't want any mods (future sale, don't want warranty arguments, and LR dealer won't do Johnson lifts anyway) and only can rely on a tire shop to mount a stronger tire.

Do tire shops do spacers? If there is only minor rock crawling, do spacers create a potential mechanical weak link?

I tried to google "full articulation" what is that? At full turn into the wheel well?

Thank you for any patient guidance.
I have looked through the tire list here, but too many choices, none really speaking to my off road intent.
Bought this vehicle with only a passing thought to doing off-roading, and then after months of reading very few think this is an off road vehicle!

Maybe the answer is buy a Jeep and sacrifice on road comfort for the 99 % of the time I am not off road?

Bob (A total retail type LR owner)

Old 01-24-2022, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Duratracs that are available in stock sizes (including your 20s) and come with Land Rover's full blessing. They are entirely appropriate and capable for the relatively mild off-roading you would encounter in Death Valley, dry and sandy or rocky trails with no mud, slippery surfaces, ice or snow which are the terrains where the Duratracs, like manuly other ATs, tend to falter a bit. I have been to Death Valley several times with my D110 and the stock 19" wheels with locally sourced Duratracs.

I ran the endless, rocky and heavily rutted trails and washboard going throogh Saline Valley/Racetrack, Titus Cyn, Echo Cyn, Chloride City. Lippencott Mine, Goler Wash, and lots of other supposed tire "killers", with zero issues and great traction. My only recommendation would be to air down as little as.posdible - just enough to be comfortable but no more. Ignore the peer pressure of your friends with rock crawling 16" beadlock rims and 37" super swampers, who always recommend you air down somewhere between 20 and 25 psi, or less . That's when you get in trouble with relatively low profile tires such as these Duratracs. Unless you are negotiating sand dunes, you don't need to air down below 30 - 32 psi with this vehicle. Of course the Duratracs don't hit the same speed index of the stock all seasons or the mild Adventures all-terrain, no self respecting A/T normally does, you'll just have to remember not to drive at sustained speeds above 99 mph once you mount these on. The Duratracs are plenty aggressive for an A/T, but still manage to be light (they are XL rated, not E-loads) and quiet.

Last edited by umbertob; 01-24-2022 at 05:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by umbertob:
bobbyz95 (01-24-2022), dogwind (01-25-2022), GrouseK9 (01-26-2022), mopadzi (01-25-2022)

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)