2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021 | 04:33 AM
Mudding

Took my Defender in to Land Rover San Antonio for crackling sound in passenger A pillar. Couple hours later was told it was ready. Applied felt tape. Fix didn’t work, if anything slightly worse. Anyone been down this road can tell me what next step would be?

Last edited by PatriotDefender; 06-10-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2021 | 05:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
I have the same flapping noise. It almost sounds like there is a dump truck travelling ahead of you (at high speeds) that is carrying sand and a small amount sand is bouncing off your windshield. Makes a subtle crackling sound. Seems most noticeable above 60 or 70 mph or so. I only hear it on the passenger side. But the crackling sound is inconsistent; sometimes the noise is there at high speeds and sometimes it is not. Not sure if it depends on road smoothness or what. I would be curious to see the bulletin if someone had it.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Tucker - was your noise ever fixed?

Old 06-09-2021 | 06:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
Took my Defender in to LRSA for crackling sound in passenger A pillar. Couple hours later was told it was ready. Applied felt tape. Fix didn’t work, if anything slightly worse. Anyone been down this road can tell me what next step would be?
My Defender A pillar trim isn't loose yet. But on my LR4 with the same problem after a windshield replacement, I installed new clips that attach the pillar trim. The clips are basically "one use" so if you pull the trim off you need to install new clips before reattaching it. I also used really strong double-faced carpet tape to hold the trim tight.

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:02 AM
Mudding

If someone can send around the new part that some people had installed with the fix, that would be helpful. The tape doesn't work and my dealer is clueless and not responsive. They applied the anti squeak tape now twice. Each "fix" made it better each time, but now the A Pillar noise is back. Noticeable only at higher speeds - greater than 70. I also have a slew of door rattles like they aren't flush/tight - but coming to grip that is LR engineering. Boy - miss my BMW and Porsche build quality.

The following users liked this post:
AndrewG (04-01-2023)
Old 06-09-2021 | 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Hoosbest
Boy - miss my BMW and Porsche build quality.
I have been debating between ordering another Defender or an X5 to replace our aging LR4. Decided to go with a 2022 X5 as long as some of the currently unavailable options return for the 2022 model year order entry. Having had 2 LR4's in the family motor pool for the last 8 years I'm ready for some variety.

Old 06-10-2021 | 09:01 PM
4wd Low

I don't think it's the A pillar. I road in passenger seat for quite a while with ear and eye to windshield. I was originally suspicious of something loose inside or maybe outside trim on the pillar. Now, I'm quite certain it's actually the passenger wiper flapping in the wind. around 60 MPH, the wiper starts lifting off the glass and then slapping back down.

Maybe it's still in the pillar and this is a coincidence. But I think this is it. I could watch the wiper flapping around and here the ticking sound as it looked like the wiper was hitting the windshield.

If this is the case, it seems we need a little "spoiler" that can clip onto the wiper arm and force it down at speed.

One thing I didn't try yet is running the wipers at speed when I'm hearing the ticking sound to see if it stops when they run.

The following 3 users liked this post by mercurymorris:
Ahparke (06-11-2021), Chief65 (07-30-2021), PatriotDefender (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:09 PM
Mudding

^^Interesting take. Who will be the first to put duct tape on the wiper, cruise on down the highway at 80mph and report back?

The following 2 users liked this post by PatriotDefender:
mercurymorris (06-10-2021), MrBreeze (06-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2021 | 06:51 PM
4wd Low
Default Correction

Originally Posted by mercurymorris
I don't think it's the A pillar. I road in passenger seat for quite a while with ear and eye to windshield. I was originally suspicious of something loose inside or maybe outside trim on the pillar. Now, I'm quite certain it's actually the passenger wiper flapping in the wind. around 60 MPH, the wiper starts lifting off the glass and then slapping back down.

Maybe it's still in the pillar and this is a coincidence. But I think this is it. I could watch the wiper flapping around and here the ticking sound as it looked like the wiper was hitting the windshield.

If this is the case, it seems we need a little "spoiler" that can clip onto the wiper arm and force it down at speed.

One thing I didn't try yet is running the wipers at speed when I'm hearing the ticking sound to see if it stops when they run.
I did “a little” more testing. Upon further exam, I’m back to thinking it’s the A pillar shroud like others have said. While hearing it, I ran the wipers several times, and it seems I continued to hear it. So now thinking it’s not the wiper… although it remains true that the thing flaps around in the wind.

I’ve had this truck two weeks. AC broke and it spent five days in the shop. Yesterday, inside passenger door handle stopped working. Back to the shop next Tuesday. And then this ticking sound and I’m having some random issues with the touchscreen software. Not off to a good start.

Old 06-15-2021 | 06:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Gator42
I was told the felt tape repair was a quick fix until LR developed a permanent solution. That permanent solution: replacement of the outer, body colored A-pillar panels with new, redesigned panels.

My repair order shows two 'finishers': LR 142542 and LR142525 and 'film': LR138331 and LR138332 (the factory wrap on my vehicle). The dealer sent the parts to the body shop to paint them my truck's body color green and apply the film.

Once they were returned to the dealer swapping them out for the old panels took less than an hour. Under warranty, no cost...
I applied the felt tape fix myself to my June 2020 build US spec p400 HSE, and it eliminated 60-75% of the noise from the passenger side A-pillar. Seeing this post, and wanting to totally eliminate it, I ordered the exterior pillar trim molding directly from MyRoverParts. About $80. And they did confirm its the revised part as per Gator's post. I will have it painted Tasman Blue and install it myself, then submit all receipts to LRNA and request reimbursement. The closest LR dealer is over 200 miles from me, and they can’t see me until mid July.

One question though - do I remove the felt tape before installing the revised trim molding?

Last edited by PatriotDefender; 06-15-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2021 | 07:47 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the post. Our high volume LR dealer has no idea. I sent him the part numbers - so will see what comes back. I might be your sister build - June 2020 for my HSE. Two trips and still a noise - though only at higher speeds.

Last edited by Hoosbest; 06-15-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed