2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023 | 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mrego
So, which one is it? "underneath the weather stripping (between the weather stripping and the window.)" like GreyDoc says or "between pillar and windshield"? Can you post pics of where did you insert it and the material you used? Did it solve the sand/rain noise coming from the top of the windshield behind the rear-view mirror? Much appreciated.
I just left the painted pillar trim piece on and stuffed the foam under the edge along the windshield. I did push it past that small piece of rubber trim that sits against the glass. So I guess the foam is now between the plastic A-pillar trim piece and the metal pillar that holds the trim clips. I used a piece of this foam the same length as the pillar trim piece.

Old 02-13-2023 | 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mrego
Did it solve the sand/rain noise coming from the top of the windshield behind the rear-view mirror? Much appreciated.
I've had this issue on our old LR4. To fix it, I had an auto glass shop caulk along the top edge of the windshield where it meets the leading edge of the roof.

Old 02-13-2023 | 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I just left the painted pillar trim piece on and stuffed the foam under the edge along the windshield. I did push it past that small piece of rubber trim that sits against the glass. So I guess the foam is now between the plastic A-pillar trim piece and the metal pillar that holds the trim clips. I used a piece of this foam the same length as the pillar trim piece.
Thanks! Will try this.

Old 03-15-2023 | 02:20 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Tucker Woods;738920]I have the same flapping noise. It almost sounds like there is a dump truck travelling ahead of you (at high speeds) that is carrying sand and a small amount sand is bouncing off your windshield. Makes a subtle crackling sound. Seems most noticeable above 60 or 70 mph or so. I only hear it on the passenger side. But the crackling sound is inconsistent; sometimes the noise is there at high speeds and sometimes it is not. Not sure if it depends on road smoothness or what. I would be curious to see the bulletin if someone had it.

----------------------------------------------------------

I have this exact issue at 74-85 MPH on the drivers side. Ver inconsistent. 3 trips and they cannot make it do it at the dealer. Did it for 8 hours yesterday. Worse on Windy days and not as bad when you are behind a big truck - seems like the truck deflects the air.

Its infuriating.

Old 03-15-2023 | 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

[QUOTE=OlJDub;859009]
Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
I have the same flapping noise. It almost sounds like there is a dump truck travelling ahead of you (at high speeds) that is carrying sand and a small amount sand is bouncing off your windshield. Makes a subtle crackling sound. Seems most noticeable above 60 or 70 mph or so. I only hear it on the passenger side. But the crackling sound is inconsistent; sometimes the noise is there at high speeds and sometimes it is not. Not sure if it depends on road smoothness or what. I would be curious to see the bulletin if someone had it.

----------------------------------------------------------

I have this exact issue at 74-85 MPH on the drivers side. Ver inconsistent. 3 trips and they cannot make it do it at the dealer. Did it for 8 hours yesterday. Worse on Windy days and not as bad when you are behind a big truck - seems like the truck deflects the air. Its infuriating.
The level of this noise will vary based on your speed and direction plus the wind speed and direction. Just fix it yourself with some foam...see above. Takes about 5 minutes plus a trip to Home Depot to buy the foam. Far faster than 3 trips to your dealer.

Old 03-15-2023 | 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
The JLR dealer in Massachusetts today finished their final attempt at fixing my driver's side A pillar -- 3.5 months after their last attempt. It is their final attempt -- I will fix it myself if it comes off again ........

November 30th 2022 parts list used under warranty..... I hope it works this time.
Giving credit where it is due --- 4 months later and the repaired pillar is still better than new.

Old 03-15-2023 | 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Giving credit where it is due --- 4 months later and the repaired pillar is still better than new.
The A pillars on our new 2023 Defender are still completely quiet after 1 month and 3200 miles. Guessing LR has added an additional production step to address this issue.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-27-2023 | 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PaulLR
The A pillars on our new 2023 Defender are still completely quiet after 1 month and 3200 miles. Guessing LR has added an additional production step to address this issue.
FWIW, I was finally able to apply and test the insulating foam solution above and glad to report it definitely works! No more "sand-shifting" sound coming from the upper area of the passenger side. I am willing to bet the same foam insulation was also the solution adopted by JLR in the new - 2022/2023 cars.

Old 04-05-2023 | 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling

mrego, where is it then sorry. The below post implies between the weather stripping and the pillar

I see it as only two choices like you noted.

1. Below the A pillar trim and above the weatherstripping
2. Below the weatherstripping itself and above the glass itself - between the weatherstripping and the glass?

your help please

Old 04-06-2023 | 07:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I cut a piece of foam the same length as the A pillar trim cover. I pulled off the adhesive backing and placed it sticky side up along the edge of the trim piece where it meets the windshield glass. Then using a plastic putty knife I stuffed it behind the trim piece. That trim piece has a small rubber edge where it meets the window glass. I stuffed it behind that small rubber edge. All quiet ever since.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed